Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cross of the Order of St George 4th Class

cassyt

Hello, I have been advised by the folk in the Soldiers forum to consult here for any information on the Cross of the Order of St George awarded to my great uncle, Serjeant James Carney 7830 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. I have a medal record but no other details of his army record. James was in the 1st Batallion when he died in Gallipoli on 15th December 1915, but must have been in the 2nd Battallion when he was wounded in 1914. What I know is:

Campaigns: Great War

Medals: 1914 Star – British War Medal – Victory Medal – Cross of St George 4th Cl (Russia) LG.25.8.15

Killed/Died: DOW 27 Dec 1915 Age 36 Place:Gallipoli

Wounded: 20/10/1914

Service History: Disembarked France (23/08/1914). Proceeded to join 1st Bn (16/10/15). Joined Bn (01/11/1915). Performed the duties of A/CQMS (20/11/1915 – 24/11/1915).

Can you give me an idea as to why a Cross of St George would have been awarded - would it be in connection with his wounding, or is it a bravery award? Any information would be welcome<br style="">

Link To LG Promulgation.

Link To Preamble Order of St George/Cross Of St George

The Cross Of St George is an Imperial Russian award it would have been awarded for distinguished or gallant service,possibly in connection with Russian Troops but most likely as part of the Allied inter ~ alia awarding of decorations of Allied Nations~Hemay never have even seen a Russian!!!

It should be Promulgated in the London Gazette however no Citations are published there you may find reference in a contemporary Local Paper ,these awards were numbered {presumably there was a central Register maintained by the Russian Records pre 1917....?

Link To LG Promulgation.

Link To Preamble Order of St George/Cross Of St George

The Cross Of St George is an Imperial Russian award it would have been awarded for distinguished or gallant service,possibly in connection with Russian Troops but most likely as part of the Allied inter ~ alia awarding of decorations of Allied Nations~Hemay never have even seen a Russian!!!

It should be Promulgated in the London Gazette however no Citations are published there you may find reference in a contemporary Local Paper ,these awards were numbered {presumably there was a central Register maintained by the Russian Records pre 1917....?

Thanks for that. James Carney's award was published on page 8506 of the Supplement to the London Gazette on 25th August 1915. It would appear that he got it in France, and was, indeed, nowhere near a Russian!

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29275/supplements/8506

• 8 years later...

My Grandfather served with The Canadian field artillery in Russia from 10/1918 to 05/1919  he received one of 10 Cross of St George Medals presented by the Governor General  to members of the 16th Brigade CFA on June 6 1919 in Archangel Russia. The medal has somehow vanished over the years. We have the documentation with the number 3302 being listed. If anyone should come across this I would be interested in having it back with the family with the Military Medal he received.