Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tours to Ypres are from NI

ARMAGH

any tours going to F&F between May & November?,I was to go on a tour in May but I do not think it is going to happen now,so looking for a vacancy for one.I would prefer Ypres,Ulster Tower,but am interested in the battlefields of F&F

Joe

any tours going to F&F between May & November?,I was to go on a tour in May but I do not think it is going to happen now,so looking for a vacancy for one.I would prefer Ypres,Ulster Tower,but am interested in the battlefields of F&F

Joe

Please look under GWF classifieds

Joe

Well if it was me, I'd take myself to Ypres (by train as I choose not to drive), book in to a central hotel and take my choice of a number of tours that go from there - easy to find the operators in the main street down from the Menin Gate towards the square, or there are some online. Then other days you can 'do your own thing' - museums, local buses etc - heaps to see and easy to get around.

Judy

Well if it was me, I'd take myself to Ypres (by train as I choose not to drive), book in to a central hotel and take my choice of a number of tours that go from there - easy to find the operators in the main street down from the Menin Gate towards the square, or there are some online. Then other days you can 'do your own thing' - museums, local buses etc - heaps to see and easy to get around.

Judy

Thanks Willy & Judy

I may fly in and take Train/bus to Ypres,as you say there is plenty of operators and do my own thing.

Joe

Joe - if you do travel to Ypres yourself, you could do a lot worse than get in touch with Iain McHenry regarding touring the Salient. And he's from Belfast too...

Alan

Thanks Willy & Judy

I may fly in and take Train/bus to Ypres,as you say there is plenty of operators and do my own thing.

Joe

I am sure it will go really well if you do your own thing. We went to the tourist office and got the local bus timetables and travelled around without any hassles and did lots of interesing walks. On the other hand, if time is more limited, the local operators are more than helpful and you have the benefit of a local guide. I don't think you can go wrong in making your own way to Ypres and doing it all from there.

Judy

Edit

Just seen Alan's post - couldn't agree more!

Joe - if you do travel to Ypres yourself, you could do a lot worse than get in touch with Iain McHenry regarding touring the Salient. And he's from Belfast too...

Alan

Hello Alan

Many thanks, I sent you a PM.

Joe

Maybe get in touch with a Somme Society, they go around July.

Phil

Thanks Phil

That is a good idea

Joe

Hello Alan

Many thanks, I sent you a PM.

Joe

Thanks Phil

That is a good idea

Joe

The Friends of the Somme (Mid-ulster) based in Cookstown have been visiting the battlefields(WW1 and WW2) for the past 17 years. They always go over the period of the 1st July. Their tour is always over subscribed every year so the earliest you could get a seat is next year. PM me for more information if you wish.

Wesley Wright

The Friends of the Somme (Mid-ulster) based in Cookstown have been visiting the battlefields(WW1 and WW2) for the past 17 years. They always go over the period of the 1st July. Their tour is always over subscribed every year so the earliest you could get a seat is next year. PM me for more information if you wish.

Wesley Wright

Hello Wesley

sent you a pm

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

HI Joe,

You could also contact the ISPS based in Derry/Londonderry who do various tours but always with a focus on the 36th and 16th divisions.

028 71 311005.

Fearghal

Hello Fearghal

Many thanks for the info,will take note for next time,I have an interest in the Black Watch Bns in the Great War,but I will tour any battlefield or cemetery.

We, my wife & I are flying from Dublin to Charleroi airport at the start of June and travel by train down to Ypres,I am trying to find out the times of the trains,but find the train tables difficult.

Does any one know the times of the trains from Charleroi Airport to Ypres from 1200???.

We are booked into the Novotel Hotel Ypres which I have stayed at a couple of times.

Joe

Hello Fearghal

Many thanks for the info,will take note for next time,I have an interest in the Black Watch Bns in the Great War,but I will tour any battlefield or cemetery.

We, my wife & I are flying from Dublin to Charleroi airport at the start of June and travel by train down to Ypres,I am trying to find out the times of the trains,but find the train tables difficult.

Does any one know the times of the trains from Charleroi Airport to Ypres from 1200???.

We are booked into the Novotel Hotel Ypres which I have stayed at a couple of times.

Joe

Armagh,

As far as I can tell from the Airport webpage you need to go to Charleroi South station by bus (direct from Airport it's the 'A' & around 20 mins) have a look here http://www.charleroi-airport.com/en/brussels-south-charleroi-airport/index.html. There doesn't seem to be a direct train to Ieper looking at this page http://hari.b-rail.be/HAFAS/bin/query.exe/en?seqnr=1&ident=c6.01275611.1296772154&OK#focus that said I looked for trains on Friday 3rd June just for the hell of it, there may be direct trains at weekends if you're travelling then. Between 12.25 & 14:05 there are 5 trains departing for Ieper so you shoulf be grand.

Happy journey planning - I'm off on 13th June & staying in the Novotel too - can;t wait

Good luck

JD

• 2 weeks later...

Armagh,

As far as I can tell from the Airport webpage you need to go to Charleroi South station by bus (direct from Airport it's the 'A' & around 20 mins) have a look here http://www.charleroi...port/index.html. There doesn't seem to be a direct train to Ieper looking at this page http://hari.b-rail.b...772154&OK#focus that said I looked for trains on Friday 3rd June just for the hell of it, there may be direct trains at weekends if you're travelling then. Between 12.25 & 14:05 there are 5 trains departing for Ieper so you shoulf be grand.

Happy journey planning - I'm off on 13th June & staying in the Novotel too - can;t wait

Good luck

JD

Thanks JD for the info.

sorry for the delay in replying to your post,we are just back from a week in Tenerife,

hope you enjoy your stay in Leper, the Novetel hotel is good.

Regards

Joe

Joe, I'm pleased to hear all is well but please do not call the town Leper!! :doh:

When writing in Dutch, the spelling is Ieper with a capital I, just as when writing India. However, when using the English or French language it is spelt Ypres.

As confirmed by town web site here http://www.ieper.be/ and by my Dutch language teacher.

Best wishes

Chris.

Joe, I'm pleased to hear all is well but please do not call the town Leper!! :doh:

When writing in Dutch, the spelling is Ieper with a capital I, just as when writing India. However, when using the English or French language it is spelt Ypres.

As confirmed by town web site here http://www.ieper.be/ and by my Dutch language teacher.

Best wishes

Chris.

Thanks Chris

I will bear that in mind

Regards

Joe

I remember when I moved over here and I didn't have a clue what to call the town.

I always knew it as 'Wipers' I knew I was getting it hopelessly wrong by the strange looks and giggles which would appear. Many Brits get it wrong for several reasons and its only when you go and do something like take Dutch or French lessons that all will start to become clear.

I remember when I moved over here and I didn't have a clue what to call the town.

I always knew it as 'Wipers' I knew I was getting it hopelessly wrong by the strange looks and giggles which would appear. Many Brits get it wrong for several reasons and its only when you go and do something like take Dutch or French lessons that all will start to beceome clear.

chrislock

What about Flemish? can you speak it?

Joe

I will leave this one for our Flemish or Dutch members.

Some of my Flemish friends and my Dutch language teacher say there is no such official language, they say they are Flemish people but their official language is Dutch. I know their Dutch language is infused with with their own dialect and it can change from area to area. This is what they probably call Flemish.

Do I speak or understand their dialect words?

Sometimes, providing my level of learned Dutch is up to it but not always however when speaking to me and my wife, they all mainly use their official Dutch but it is very soft and not throaty hard Dutch like the Nederlanders speak. I am not fluent but I can manage now but it is difficult!

My wife is totally fluent and that helps me out a lot.

I'm sure our Flemish and Dutch members will be able to explain it better than me.

Chris.

I will leave this one for our Flemish or Dutch members.

Some of my Flemish friends and my Dutch language teacher say there is no such official language, they say they are Flemish people but their official language is Dutch. I know their Dutch language is infused with with their own dialect and it can change from area to area. This is what they probably call Flemish.

Do I speak or understand their dialect words?

Sometimes, providing my level of learned Dutch is up to it but not always however when speaking to me and my wife, they all mainly use their official Dutch but it is very soft and not throaty hard Dutch like the Nederlanders speak. I am not fluent but I can manage now but it is difficult!

My wife is totally fluent and that helps me out a lot.

I'm sure our Flemish and Dutch members will be able to explain it better than me.

Chris.

Thanks Chris