Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl 16046 William Tait - Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

saintconor

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could assist me in my research into the following soldier? Normally you can look at the MIC's and War Diary etc for those who served overseas but what about someone who served and died at home? Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Conor

Name: TAIT, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 23/10/1916

Service No: 16046

Additional information: Son of Clarke and Matilda Jane Tait, of 224, Stobcross St., Anderston, Glasgow. Born at Limavady.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: H. 4.

Cemetery: DRUMACHOSE PARISH CHURCHYARD

Enlisted Finner Camp, Donegal.

SDGW -

Name: William Tait

Birth Place: Tamlaght, Co. Derry

Residence: Limavady

Death Date: 23 Oct 1916

Enlistment Location: Finner Camp

Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Battalion: Depot

Number: 16406

Type of Casualty: Died

Theatre of War: Home

John

He is also recorded in "Ireland's Memorial Records 1914 - 1918" but you already have the information recorded there.

John

Hello

You may find a death record on Scotlands People but that would mean buying credits which are from £6.00.

Dental

Thanks folks. The Deport part of the SDGW makes sense as he is not listed on the RoH for the 12th Battalion. As he was vuried in Ireland would I not find his death registered in Ireland? I would like to get hold of it but I'm a liitle unsure. Normally when I apply I need County, being buried in Co.Derry does not mean his death was registered there.

Would the nature of this soldiers death make him entitled to the plaque only?

Regards

Conor

Would the nature of this soldiers death make him entitled to the plaque only?

Conor,

If he didn't serve overseas, which seems to be the case, then yes he wasn't entitled to medals. Just the plaque.

John

Conor,

This guy will be an original 10th Btn man. His service number, 16046, dates him enlisting around early September 1914, being given his number at Finner.

He is not listed on the 10th Roll in Gardiner Mitchell's 'Three Cheers for the Derrys' as we were aware 16046 belonged to the Btn but did not have a name to put to it.

He sits between William Tate, 16045 and Henry Tait, 16047. This Tait had connections to Belfast. There was a brother James. Henry Tait enlisted on 15/9/14 and was discharged on 30/11/14, in C company.

Limavady men would be C company.

Can only assume an illness or accident held him back from going with the others. May have served in Dublin at Easter with the 12th Btn, maybe wounded there.

Rob

Conor,

William Tait is listed on Drumachose Presbyterian Roll of Honour.

There is also a John, 6th Btn R.Innis.F, died of wounds and a Robert, 1st Irish Guards, both of Killane.

By the looks of William's family there is no indication of a connection to Tamalght, which is a good way from Limavady, so his birth there could be a bit misleading as to where he is from.

I am wondering if Robert and John are his cousins, as John was in Scotland when he enlisted and there could be a Limavady/Scotland connection for the family.

It looks like William's parents moved there either during or after the war as they are on both census, 1901 and 1911 in Limavady.

Going back to the Henry in my other post, he is also from Drumachose, although he gives his next of kin as a brother in Belfast, on his service papers it says 'away from fathers house for more than 3 years' living with an aunt in Limavady.

Could this be another cousin to William. He gives his age as 19 when joining up so would have been 15-16 when leaving home. Can't get him on the Irish Census. Was he in Scotland 1911 and came to Ireland?

Rob

• 8 years later...

Hi all, I've just joined the forum and noticed this string, and apologise if this question wanders slightly off-topic. I am also on the look for a William Tait, (born 1819), so he predates the Great War, but his grandchildren (14 of them) were born in Drumachose, Limavady, and at least one was in the Skins, either William Martin Tait (b31/3/1889), or Robert Craig Tait (b 1/5/1896), sons of Daniel Stewart Tait, whom I was told was sexton of one of the Presbyterian churches in Limavady, not for from Drumachose Pres. Church, which is just a few hundred yards away.

There seem to be two Tait family groups in the area, and folk have crossed them over in a number of researches in error, as both use and re-cycle first names quite a lot. I have not yet managed to make a connection between the groups but would be grateful for any hints or suggestions, Thanks.

Ken 

Re his death this is what you need. His death was mis-stated on death cert as "Tate". He died of Epilepsy

Irish deaths are registered by registration district (as in rest of UK at that time)

tait2.jpg.995a560edd5c58247b7a8df3a388f9f7.jpg

tait.jpg.9b14548ea670f8cb025a97994cc8667b.jpg

1911 census has him at 18 Irish Green St, Limavady. Londonderry

tait3.jpg.2802b132e4f615d67c286c124354d2d1.jpg

And his birth

tait4.jpg.e8b3b978b90b7233fdb7f6cceb21802b.jpg