The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Royal Fusiliers in Mesopotamia

halle82

My Uncle served with the royal fusiliers and northumberland fusiliers but the details I have found of his service between 1914 and 1916 are non-existant. Does anybody know what the royal fusiliers were doing during this period? The details I have say he was in Mesopotamia from 1916 onwards, but I can't find other information to back this up. Please help!

Hi and welcome to the Forum. We need a bit more detail to be of any help. Things like a name, date of birth, army number(s). I've had a quick look on Long Long Trail and in O'Neill's History of the R Fus and can't see any immediate link to Mesopotamia, but they did get around. Look at LLT to see what the Northumberland Fusiliers were doing.

Happy to help, with abit more to go on

David

Hello Vich and welcome to the Great war forum, your best bet is to read the Long Long Trail for all information researching for a family member . try these links

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/royalfus.htm

good hunting

beat regards

Ian

Hi and welcome to the Forum. We need a bit more detail to be of any help. Things like a name, date of birth, army number(s). I've had a quick look on Long Long Trail and in O'Neill's History of the R Fus and can't see any immediate link to Mesopotamia, but they did get around. Look at LLT to see what the Northumberland Fusiliers were doing.

Happy to help, with abit more to go on

David

Hello David

Thanks for your reply.

My uncle Arthur Williams was born In 1891 at Fulham London. He volunteered in October 1914 and served with the Royal Fusiliers and the Northumberland Fusiliers

and in 1916 was drafted to Mesopotamia where he fought at Sanna-i Yat and Kut-el-Amara

.He was transferred to Egypt in 1917 and later returned to Mesopotamia.

I have copied the above from "The National Roll of the Great War" the above being part of which was sent to my grand parents after the war.

Regards Vic

I

Hi Vic, I've looked through the medal index cards but can't see an Arthur Williams who served in R Fus and Northumberland Fusiliers. I did find one born in Fulham and another born in Chswick. Do you have details of his early life, like birth certificate, name of parents?

David

Hello Vich and welcome to the Great war forum, your best bet is to read the Long Long Trail for all information researching for a family member . try these links

http://www.1914-1918...dad/grandad.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/royalfus.htm

good hunting

beat regards

Ian

Hello Ian

I have looked at the above links and consequently identified possible Arthur Williams in the campaign medal information on the National Archives website.I found 6 possibles who had served in the Royal Fusiliers.

After downloading the relevant medal cards none showed Mesopotamia as the first theatre of war first served in -which is 5a.

I followed the same process with the Northumberland Fusiliers with the same results.

This could mean that he first served in France or there are errors on the the national roll.

I am confused by the fact that he apparently served in two separate regiments and also although he volunteered in 1914 he wasn't drafted to Mesopotamia until 1916

Regards

Vic

Hi Vic, I've looked through the medal index cards but can't see an Arthur Williams who served in R Fus and Northumberland Fusiliers. I did find one born in Fulham and another born in Chswick. Do you have details of his early life, like birth certificate, name of parents?

David

Hello David

I looked at the 1911 census and he was a shop assistant.His parents names were Arthur Williams and Annie (nee Ballard).The Arthur born in Fulham sounds interesting how did you find him

Vic

Hello David

I looked at the 1911 census and he was a shop assistant.His parents names were Arthur Williams and Annie (nee Ballard).The Arthur born in Fulham sounds interesting how did you find him

Vic

Hi I just put in the name and date of birth, it looks as though he was in either a hospital or poor house having just been born, but couldn't find an adult female Williams to be his mother, so looking at later finds probably not him.

In the 1891 census I've now found an Arthur and Annie Williams living in Hammersmith 247 Hammersmith Road, with an 8 day old male infant only named as Child.

In the 1901 census there is an Arthur and Annie of about the right age to be the ones found in 1891 and born in similar places, he now says Marylebone whereas in 1891 he said St Johns Wood, she was consistent in being born in South Kensington. They are now living at 58 Yeldham Rd Fulham with a son Arthur age 10, so born 1891, and with other family Sidney age 9, Harold age 7 and Florence 14 months.

Hope this helps

David