The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Malvern Remembers

AndyJohnson

Hi there

Anyone know what became of which was one of the nicest web-sites of it's type?

It's now a German website

Andy

There are archived versions of the site available at http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.malvernremembers.org.uk. Oddly the current site still has URLs like http://www.malvernremembers.org.uk/CWGCMemorials.html and with my albeit limited German the content does still seem to be about the two World Wars.

I don't like this but it is probably the fault of the original registrant who did not renew his/her registration thus allowing it to be snapped up by A N Other.

The domain name is registered to a German and this by itself is all above board. He can call his site what he wants.

The Home page auto-translates as follows:

Battlefields, monuments and memorials

Former war zones, many years after the tragic events that have taken place, a place of remembrance and commemoration. This remembrance and commemoration is intended to strengthen peace and friendship among peoples. Atrocities should not be forgotten, but remember admonishing them that have brought death and destruction at all times infinitely more misery to mankind. The safeguarding and maintenance of peace requires a knowledge of the war-war history and war research is a contribution to international understanding and strengthening of peace.

To former war zones to make them permanent places of memory, there are often monuments and memorials. Of memorials is when these are to a large area with several buildings, such as the concentration camps of the Third Reich. A memorial may well be artistically, this example would be the Holocaust memorial in Berlin to call. It can also be a ruin, as also standing in Berlin Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church.

Monuments and memorials can be found worldwide. Your urgent action is justified by the Peace and Conflict Studies ago. Thus reminding such as the entrance to the Belgian-Aubin Fort Neufchâteau a monument with the names of all soldiers who died in the attack on the fort during the Second World War, to their use. A display case next to the monument provides detailed information on animal and embeds the names of the dead in an action context. The remains of the battle and the relic of a road blockade will be issued.

Not only in Europe, even in the dead of the wars America is thought of honoring and admonishing.Even the American Civil War, during which among compatriots of the North and South due to economic, social and political tensions - which culminated in the issue of slavery -, merciless war on each other, is designed. Thus, in Indianapolis, whose nickname is Circle City, in the heart of the city's Monument Circle. It fulfills a dual function the same as it was intended to remind the soldiers of the American Civil but also of the Mexican-American War.

Wherever you look, the earth is covered by a network of monuments and memorials. They all postulate a "remember the suffering of war, peace is promoted."

I think you're right and it was allowed to expire altogether because it was registered again in August 2010, rather than a renewal:

Domain name: malvernremembers.org.uk

Registrant: Frank Schraepler

Registrant type: Unknown

Registrant's address: Linckestr. 16 Panketal Brandenburg 16341 Germany

Registrar: PublicDomainRegistry.Com [Tag = PDR-IN] URL: http://www.publicdomainregistry.com

Relevant dates: Registered on: 07-Aug-2010 Renewal date: 07-Aug-2012 Last updated: 22-Aug-2010

Registration status: Registered until renewal date.

I wonder if there's some mileage in copying the web archives and saving the page content so that it's not lost.

The web archive is intended to be permanent anyway, they might archive the site inits current incarnation as well, but the earlier snapshots would still be available.

The web archive is intended to be permanent anyway, they might archive the site inits current incarnation as well, but the earlier snapshots would still be available.

Yeah that's true but often the links break between pages and not everything appears as it should. And it's unlikely to turn up in a search, but if there's anything saved as cached pages on google search plus what's on the archive these could be rejigged back into a half decent site again for the Malvern memorials.

That's the trouble with the web I'm afraid. It's just not lasting enough, part of the reason 'my' project will have a permanent hard copy library archive (and on DVD too) as well as the website database. Eggs in lots of different baskets. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

The website is back on line albeit at www.malvernremembers.co.uk.

I created the site, but let it lapse last year, and annoyingly someone else snapped the name up! I think they used it because there was a Battle of Malvern Hill in the American Civil War!

If anyone has any information on Malvern men to add to the site, just let me know.

Paul Roberts