Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unknown cap badge - what is it

delta

What wonderful sleuthing; thank you all

Old Owl asked for the "subjects" name - it was Ronald Roderick Garlick.

Born 1 May 1892 in Capetown, he was the youngest son of John Garlick and Helen (Ellen?) Miller. John was the founder of the Garlick's department store and was a noted philanthropist. Although christened Ronald, he was known by the family as Roy and like his seven siblings, was educated in England; Roy at Tonbridge School - and this photo could have been taken at this time

Sorry, I was cut off by the Admin before I could complete this post, so have deleted and reposted.:angry:

Hi Delta,

Excellent portrait of R.R.G.

I have checked the Tonbridge books and these confirm pretty much what you have related regarding him. He was at the school between 1906 and 1910, so this fits in very well with the theory put forward by Battiscombe regarding the O.T.C. This picture, I think, must be taken circa 1910.

Robert

Robert - thank you so much for the background research.

I will pass the info onto his daughter

Stephen

Here is Roy in 1917

Delta, is their any chance of a close up of his jacket buttons? I am just curious to see if as an Officer in training he wears the MGC buttons as well, or just GS ones.

Gill Dodington sends her thanks for the info.

Here is a cropped version of the photo

but the buttons are far from clear - sorry

Here is a cropped version of the photo

Thanks - I blew up the photo, and I think I can just about make out the design of the GS button. Given the highly polished brass OR's MGC badge he sports, it made me wonder whether the jacket would have had the GS button for most OR's, or otherwise.

Gill Dodington sends her thanks for the info.

Here is a cropped version of the photos

Another example of officer cadets from different arms and services with 3 common dress distinctions, vide a white cap band, no collar badges, and the leather belt from the 1903 bandolier equipment.

Thanks for the steer about the belt - I have wondered about that as it was also worn in pictures of the first tank crews 12 months earlier

Stephen