Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Royal Marine Battalion

tootrock

I am researching a man who was in the Howe Battalion, attached to the 1st Royal Marine Battalion, and who was killed in action on 8 April 1918. He is commemorated on the Pozieres memorial.

Does anyone have any knowledge of where the battalion was located on that date?

Martin

Strictly speaking he was 1/RMLI not "Howe Battalion attached 1/RMLI". Howe Battalion was totally disbanded in February 1918 (along with Nelson Batttalion) and the men had been drafted to other units; 1/RMLI in this case.

The War Diary shows that 1/RMLI were in billets at Forceville on 8 April, having arrived there at 6 am from the front line after being relieved in Aveluy Wood by Anson Bn. They then relieved Anson Bn in Aveluy Wood on 9 April - time not recorded. The three casualties on 8 April (all missing, including AB Pymer) probably occurred during the early morning relief (Anson also had three casualties that day.

Thanks for that - it was AB Pymer that I was researching!

I used the term Howe Battalion, attached to the 1st Royal Marine Battalionbecause that is what is given in his details in All Great Britain, Royal Naval Division Casualties of The Great War, 1914-1924 Results on Ancestry and also his card downloaded from the NA.

Martin

I suspect it may have technically been regarded as an attachment unless he was actually transferred from RNVR to RMLI?