Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell weights

David B

Is there any specific reason as to why the smaller types of shell are always referred to by weight i.e. 13 pounder 18 pounder, etc rather than the calibre of the artillery weapon, then once the

size of the weapon increases it is then referred to by its calibre, i.e. 6 inch 9.2 inch etc. To myself it is rather confusing, being used to naval nomenclature where everything was referred to by

the size of the guns calibre. Tradition perhaps ?

At the beginning of the 20th century the field artillery adopted a simple approach. Guns, having a single charge and limited elevation (typically not more that about 25 degrees) were designated by shell weight, hence 13-pr, 18-pr, 60-pr. Howitzers being multi-charge and usually with an elevation up to about 45 degs, were designated by calibre in inches. Of course just to be difficult the coast artillery designted most (thre were exceptions)of their guns by calibre, parhaps because the navy did.

At the beginning of the 20th century the field artillery adopted a simple approach. Guns, having a single charge and limited elevation (typically not more that about 25 degrees) were designated by shell weight, hence 13-pr, 18-pr, 60-pr. Howitzers being multi-charge and usually with an elevation up to about 45 degs, were designated by calibre in inches. Of course just to be difficult the coast artillery designted most (thre were exceptions)of their guns by calibre, parhaps because the navy did.

The use of calibres rather than weight for garrison artillery appears to have been forced by the adoption of shell (rather than solid round shot) firing guns after French successes using shell against Russian naval forces. Shells were usually lighter that a similarly dimensioned round shot. At the same time shell guns, although superficially similar to ordinary muzzle loadin cannon, could not fire round shot. To avoid confusion shell firing guns became designated by calibre rather than weight of shot whilst those firing round shot were catagorised by weight of shot. By the begining of the 20th century all the guns were shell firing.

And 12-pr was used by coast arty, hence 'most'.

Not forgetting that the 4.7 inch Gun, a naval gun in the Boer War mounted on a locally built field carriage, and then regularised as the 4.7 in QF Gun (and with the dubious distinction of being the only gun ever specifically purchased at Parliament's direction - the Army wanted 60-pr). The standard ammo for coast was AP HE (and remained so until the demise of coast in 1956), not shot, although Common Pointed shell and sharpnel were also available for some large calibres. The whole matter of Forts vs Ships was well argued over in the final decades of the 19th C, Capt C Orde Browne wrote 'Armour and its attack by artillery' in 1900.

Point taken Greg. I guess I was being a bit loose and should have said "nearly all"rather than all but the substance of my query still remains.

Cheers