Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Review of John Buchan's work

Kath

Interesting review of John Buchan's work:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/8243300/John-Buchan-and-The-Thirty-Nine-Steps.html

'An officer at the Front in the First World War wrote: “It is just the kind of fiction for here. One wants something to engross the attention without tiring the mind. The story is greatly appreciated in the midst of mud and rain and shells, and all that could make trench life depressing.”'

Kath.

Always been a good read - although one of those classics the language of which has started to draw unwarranted attention from today's "politically correct". I only hope that we don't have to put up with Bowdlerised reprints as has recently happened to The Adventures of Huck Finn. Yours, Antony

Always been a good read - although one of those classics the language of which has started to draw unwarranted attention from today's "politically correct". I only hope that we don't have to put up with Bowdlerised reprints as has recently happened to The Adventures of Huck Finn. Yours, Antony

There is only one place for the politically correct and that is on the front line advancing against the MGs.

Note: for "Sheila", read "Stella" throughout. B)

However, I fully agree with her: Buchan is a brilliant author, much-neglected these days. His historical novels, based around the Covenanters and so on, are splendid stuff.

Thanks for posting it, Kath. :thumbsup:

I would disagree with Rimingtons analysis of Buchan's villains. Some of them are recycled from various novels not only the Hannay ones. They all have flaws but not all are cowards at heart. von Schwabing in 39 steps and Mr Standfast cannot stand air raids (not Zeppelins Ms Rimington but Gothas) or bombardments but exhibits cold blooded nerve, which Hannay admits would be beyond him, in situations where he has to act alone (what Napoleon called 3am courage). The chief villain in The Island of Sheep first appears in The Courts of the Morning, a novel I find superior to the Hannay ones, where Sandy Arbuthnot is the hero (which involves a South American regime kept in power by drug cartels, a rebellion and the exercise of air power) - he meets his fate being tossed on rocks by a Scandinavian berserker. A lesser villain in Greenmantle reappears in The Three Hostages on Hannay's side. I'm not sure where she gets the idea that Medina commits suicide.

Incidentally Aubrey Herbert (Sandy) has been said to be the man TE Lawrence wished he had been (which may explain why their correspondence has been excised from Lawrence's collection - a similar attitude was applied to Col Leachman, some of whose achievements Lawrence shamelessly appropriated).

I hope that this review does not show the level of analysis that Stella Rimington applied to matters of national security.

I haven't read it myself yet, but you may all be interested to know about a biography of Buchan: John Buchan - The Presbyterian Cavalier, by Andrew Lownie.

Joanna

I feel it permissable to mention one of Buchan's best works:

"These for Remembrance" was privately published by John Buchan in 1919 with only a handful of copies being produced, presumably for himself and the families of his deceased friends.

Thankfully, a general edition was printed in recent years and it is highly recommended reading.

The 6 friends who feature are:

Thomas Nelson, (of publishing fame), Lothian & Border Horse, kia 9/4/17 at Arras.

Bron Lucas, RFC, kia 10/11/16

Cecil Rawling, Somerset L.I, kia 23/10/17

Lord Basil Temple Blackwood, Grenadier Guards, kia 3/7/17

John Stuart-Wortley, South Staffs, kia 21/3/18

Raymond Asquith, Grenadier Guards, kia 15/9/16

I thoroughly recommend this book.

ISBN 0-907675-80-8

John Buchan's brother, Alastair, died on the same day as Tommy Nelson at Arras.

And don't forget Buchan's huge body of Short Stories eg The Runagates Club, several of which have WW1 themes.

Mention of Tiny Ironside in Stella Rimington's elegant review made me think of when he arrived at the HQ of 99th Brigade in March 1918 to take over command - all 6 foot 4 inches and 19 st 3 lb of him according to Christopher Stone - he was acompanied by his ancient bulldog Gip, whose grandfather had served with him during the Boer War

Medina and suicide - I think Rimington probably mis-remembered who had to leave go of the rope. I'm glad to know other people still read Buchan - I was beginning to think I was the only one!

If anyone has read Stephanie Plowman's My Kingdom for a Grave (about the Russian Revolution and including the Great War) - Tsar Nicholas II was apparently a great fan of "Greenmantle" and the moment when the Russian cavalry come galloping to the rescue is quoted.

One might also want to remember that he was co-author of the 15th Divisional History and a fine memorial volume of the Grenfell brothers - Francis & Riversdale.

Not to mention a much respected Governor General of Canada

Reflected in his last work

Sick Heart River