Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1910 Penny

17107BM

Hello all.

I hope members don't mind me posting this here, but saw this on *bay and it made me smile.

Item No. 380306708512. Sorry for no direct link, but worth a look.

That was a close one :whistle:

Any opinions welcome :)

Cheers

The 'Mythbusters' claimed to have de-bunked this concept which they now call an Urban myth. They tested the idea that during various wars things like bibles, packs of cards, lighters etc stopped bullets thus saving the carrier's life.

They fired a .22 rifle and a .357 magnum at the objects at ranges of about 10 feet. Unsurprisingly, all the objects failed the test and so it was 'de-bunked'

The concept that perhaps over 1000 yds and not square on might have had some bearing didn't seem to enter into it.

I think we should list as many life saving bullet proof/deflecting objects from WWI as possible and hope they see this post.

TEW

I hope members don't mind me posting this here, but saw this on *bay and it made me smile.

Item No. 380306708512. Sorry for no direct link, but worth a look.

That was a close one :whistle:

Any opinions welcome :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380306708512&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fcollectibles.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3D380306708512%26_sacat%3D13962%26_sop%3D10%26_dmd%3D1%26_odkw%3D%26_osacat%3D13962%26_trksid%3Dp3286.c0.m270.l1313%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

There was a whole spate of them offered for sale a couple of years ago, all either war-time or just pre-war dated like this one. Caveat emptor...

If you look a this penny you will see its well worn, It would be that well worn only if it was in circulation for a really long time. I presume the penny was not continually spent right up the the 1970's though, if you get my drift.

Regards.

Tom.

Yes, the wear on the coin is a good indication that it may not have always been a cherished souvenir of a life saving Great War incident.

I have dozens of such coins hanging around following a school-boy craze for inspecting the change in my pocket. Amazing what a few whacks with a centre punch or similar might do to their value!

The 'Mythbusters' claimed to have de-bunked this concept which they now call an Urban myth. They tested the idea that during various wars things like bibles, packs of cards, lighters etc stopped bullets thus saving the carrier's life.

They fired a .22 rifle and a .357 magnum at the objects at ranges of about 10 feet. Unsurprisingly, all the objects failed the test and so it was 'de-bunked'

The concept that perhaps over 1000 yds and not square on might have had some bearing didn't seem to enter into it.

I think we should list as many life saving bullet proof/deflecting objects from WWI as possible and hope they see this post.

TEW

Another example: The bullet scarred 'roll book' shown by one of the Antiques Road Show's experts on last weekend's show from Gateshead (09/01/11) Click That one does seem to have reasonable provenance though.

NigelS

In the early 60s my dad and I used pennies for rifle practice. The pennies will still be around somerwhere. I have no doubt that in a few very rare circumstances during WW1 that a coin saved a life but so rare as to be meaningless in the greater scheme of things.

depaor. I am interested in your avatar. I have one of these, what can you tell me about it?

Cheers.

Tom.

Hi Tom:

I can't tell you a lot!

Here goes anyway:

It was one of several designs issued by the Comrades of the Great War (which became the British Legion). The one with the crowned harp was issued to Irishmen who served. It attaches to a lapel button as you probably know, and is numbered on the back. From many Internet trawls including this forum I understand it's unfortunately not possible to reference the owner via this number. I hope to be contradicted soon!

More info here:

http://www.legion-memorabilia.org.uk/badges/comrades.htm

I suspect that not many of them were worn here post-1922.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave, I always wondered as I had not seen many around.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.

Tom.

If you look a this penny you will see its well worn, It would be that well worn only if it was in circulation for a really long time.

Not necessarily - pennies at this time were noticably soft compared to modern coinage, and given their high circulation and useage picked up wear very easily. A 1910 coin could have had at least four years near-constant hard use by the outbreak of the war, and possibly more. I still believe it's a fake though...

What more can I say... :whistle:

Quite. I think that says it all. It will be interesting to see what happens. I really can not see it being bought.

Cheers chums.

er ………………………… here is something a friend of mine found on the Somme a couple of years ago - obviously he was cock-a-hoop :thumbsup: >

post-108-042682300 1294956116.jpg post-108-092198200 1294956207.jpg

Looks quite amazing. Any ideas on the coin and date? And is it an opposing coin and projectile, i.e. not a British coin and .303 round. Does make you wonder that if this was a close range thing would it just drive the coin and round in or through. Surely the coin must have sat against something firm or it would just be blasted out of the way?

TEW

Having actually looked at the Ebay item, this is just a very worn Edward VII penny with a small hole in it. The penny has certainly circulated for a large number of years and I don't see how anyone can say when the hole was made or by what.

I have a 1775 English penny with not one but TWO holes in it. Seems someone at some point used it as an impromptu button. That, or the owner was shot *twice*.

:)

-Daniel

Having actually looked at the Ebay item, this is just a very worn Edward VII penny with a small hole in it. The penny has certainly circulated for a large number of years and I don't see how anyone can say when the hole was made or by what.

Whilst I agree that buyers should beware, it is not impossible that the wear was caused by 30 years in circulation and it stopped a bullet in WW2!

Ron

There are an infinite number of ways that a hole could appear in a penny but one of the most unlikely is by dint of a bullet (other than by target-practice.)

Tom's friends Somme find is terrific though - but the nationality of the coin and bullet would be good know!

There are an infinite number of ways that a hole could appear in a penny but one of the most unlikely is by dint of a bullet (other than by target-practice.)

Tom's friends Somme find is terrific though - but the nationality of the coin and bullet would be good know!

Indeed, more info on that item would be most welcome.

-Daniel

I'm curious as to how it still appears to have soil on it if it was found a couple of years ago... Is it a photo taken at the time? it looks freshly dug to me.

Not casting doubt, simply curious!

Slightly off topic (and WW2) - My Gt Uncle was with the Royal Scots Fusiliers during 'Operation Ironclad' in Madagascar. A tin of corned beef in his haversack stopped a Vichy French bullet. Many years later, he had the bullet framed alongside his medals. He had the corned beef tin, too!

er ………………………… here is something a friend of mine found on the Somme a couple of years ago - obviously he was cock-a-hoop :thumbsup: >

post-108-042682300 1294956116.jpg post-108-092198200 1294956207.jpg

Please! I have no doubt that there are various items of kit that stopped bullits, and saved some poor chaps life.

It's just that this one looks to be..well

Not Tom's of course. But the +bay example.

TEW

I tested that theory of coins stopping bullets some years back at Diggle, an old 1/2 crown fastened to a railway sleeper with 4 round head nails. First shot from 20 yrds was from a .44 Black powder Remmington, the coin was dented, next I tried a 9mm, the dent was even deeper.

Then I tried again by fastening it to a piece of wood, and a .303 went straight thro at 100 yards, could see it clearly through the spotting scope, fired again and the coin vanished.

When we were building a new range for Blackburn Pistol Club, we had to fit deflector plates in the ceiling, placed a piece of 5/16th mild steel plate against a pile of sand and fired a 9mm P08 Artillery at 1 ft, nice hole in the plate, and the bullet was buried 12 inch deep in the sand. Tried 3/8ths plate at a 30 degree angle and the bullet was deflected into the sand.

For a bullet to be stopped by a coin, bible, tobacco tin, or whatever, then the bullet has lost a lot of its energy some where else. I've even seen bullet holes in the target frames on 1000 yrd ranges.

A .303 has 2400 ftlbs energy at muzzle, other calibre's like German or French would be similar.

Retlaw