Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question for trever henshaw

James A Pratt III

In TSTB you have Cpt F.V> Holt and Lt R.P. Mills 4 Squadron flying BE2cs when they downed on 22 January 1915 a Albatros B-I of BAO crewed by Ltn Andre Hug (P) and Obltn Friedrich Bremer ( O) who were both taken prisoner. The book "Germany's First Air Force has them Flying MF 11s and "The Air Defense of britain 1914-1918 has Holt in a shorthorn (MF 11). Do you have any to add on what they were fling that day? thanks in advance

Sounds like they were in Farmans! The BE2c reference probably came from the description of these events in The Official History.

I'll have a look at my 4Sqn a'c listings for the period tonight.

4Sqn..

As of 22 Jan 1915 the unit were flying..

BE2a's 237 242, 314, 321, 487 (from 22nd), and 635(interestingly the latter left the unit on the 22nd)

BE2b 703

MFSH 633 and 744

Sop Tabloid 386

Still doesn't confirm or deny what they were flying, but if they were in Shorthorns then they were in 633 and 744. Both these left the unit in early February. No other viable Farman candidates according to what I have - they had a few back in 1914, and one more in March, but that was it. Their first BE2c was 1655, coming in from 8 Sqn on 18th April so, yes, another revision is in order... over 3,700 expanded, updated or new TSTB entries since 1995, and counting...

Regards,

Trevor

4Sqn..

As of 22 Jan 1915 the unit were flying..

BE2a's 237 242, 314, 321, 487 (from 22nd), and 635(interestingly the latter left the unit on the 22nd)

BE2b 703

MFSH 633 and 744

Sop Tabloid 386

Still doesn't confirm or deny what they were flying, but if they were in Shorthorns then they were in 633 and 744. Both these left the unit in early February. No other viable Farman candidates according to what I have - they had a few back in 1914, and one more in March, but that was it.

342 and 465 acquired at the end of Sept 1914 would also seem possible candidates

The problem with these are that MFSH 342 was struck off squadron strength on 28th Dec 1914 and MFSH 465 had left (also struck off) on 25th November 1914. It's a sad fact that I spent about six Saturdays back in 2009 at the NA recording the movements of every RFC aircraft in France from Aug 14 up until the end of 1915, and then drawing up some charts... They're getting more use than I thought!

Regards,

Trevor

[A]another revision is in order... over 3,700 expanded, updated or new TSTB entries since 1995, and counting...

Tevor

My copy of TSTB is falling apart from constant use, so a revised reprint would be most welcome. Dare we hope?

Regards

Gareth

My copy of TSTB is falling apart from constant use, so a revised reprint would be most welcome. Dare we hope?

And then there are the 2,600 casualties on active fronts through accidents.. I think you can dare to hope. No very precise timescale though: e.g. there's also a lot of new American material to be incorporated.

Regards, Trevor

Trevor

I can promise you at least one sale when the revised book is published. Perhaps in two, or three, volumes?

Regards

Gareth

• 2 months later...

Trevor

You can make that two sales!

Regards

Paul

:poppy:

Trevor

I can promise you at least one sale when the revised book is published. Perhaps in two, or three, volumes?

Regards

Gareth

• 2 years later...

TSTB 2 is written and completed, I’m relieved to say, after 18 years further work, and hopefully I’ll get around to publishing it in 2014. It will include just under 6,000 new or expanded entries, and over 1,000 additional tie-ups between German and Allied air fighting records, on top of the 2,000 of the original book. It’s a third longer in terms of text – now around 550,000 words, and it now indexes 16,700 air personnel, and covers the period from 1912 to mid 1919. One big addition is a new addendum of all the accidents on all fighting fronts. Oh, and around 250 photographs, and five new appendices. All will be revealed just as soon as I find a bit of time to drag it into the light!

Trevor

Thanks for this welcome news, Trevor. I look forward to getting it, as I'm sure many others on the Forum will be too.

Mike

Trevor

You have been busy :thumbsup:

I'm sharpening my elbows so I can get to be first in line when TSTB2 is published - since I'm waiting with bated breath, don't make me wait too long, eh?

Cheers

Graeme

Trevor

TSTB2, will be top of my wants list.

Good luck with this and hope to see it soon.

Best regards

Paul

:poppy:

Trevor,

This is great news, just in time for the centenary of the war and hopefully will be the birthday present of choice for 2014.