Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nathan Mills, Essex Regiment

high wood

Another postcard conundrum. The back of this card reads, "uncle Ted and Nathan Mills, Vi's husband". The photograph was taken in Scotts Studio, Leytonstone Road, E.

I have found a MIC for a Pte Nathan Mills, 16406, Essex Regt who later served in the Labour Corps presumably after being wounded. The photograph shows him wearing an Essex Regt cap badge and shoulder title as well as a single wound stripe.

I would like to work out who uncle Ted the sailor is. He has an HMS Ganges cap tally so is presumably doing his early training as a boy seaman.

Presumably Ted is Vi's brother so if we could find her surname from her marriage certificate we should be able to work out who uncle Ted is.

Can someone with access to ancestry please tell me who Nathan Mills married? Presumably, Violet or Vivian.

Thank you.

post-6480-074906800 1294576674.jpg

From an initial search I cant find a marriage for a nathan mills to anyone with a ' v ' name and I've looked from 1890 to 1930 (in case the writing was added later)

Hello

I have found a mariage on Free BMD for the September quarter 1916 in West Ham between Nathan Mills and Freda V A Kimbell. If this is the one she could have been known by he second name. I will have a look at the births next.

Hope this is of some help.

Dental

Had a look at the births and found Freda Violet A Kimbell born June quarter 1893 Pottersbury, this district spans Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire.

This looks a likely match

Dental

The 1901 census shows an Elizabeth V Kimbell born abt 1894 in Naseby - her elder brother is Edward K Kimbell born abt 1891.

Violet, born at Pottersbury, has a brother on the 1911 census:

KIMBELL, Edward Cecil

Son

Male

age 9

school

Born Middlesex Newington.

Excellent work and much appreciated. I have found Edward Cecil Kimbell in the register of seamen's services ADM 188/5. He was born in Newington, London on 6th April 1901 and had the RN service number J76286 so I am convinced that we have a match.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

High Wood

I don't know if you've spotted Edward C Kimbell on Ancestry - naval medal rolls. Confirms BWM & VM as J76286 B Tel (Telegrapher but I don't know what B stands for in the rank), medals issued to him on "Diligence".

Ian

• 4 years later...
Guest GButcher

I found this thread which is of great interest to me as Nathan Mills is my grandfather on my mother's side.

I can confirm that he married Violet Mills and they lived at 75 Odessa Rd, Forest gate, London.

I have not seen that photo before but it is definitely my grandfather sitting down in the photo. Can someone explain to me what an MIC is which is mentioned in the original post.

Many Thanks

Graham Butcher

Graham,

a MIC is a medal index card which was a card showing the medal entitlement of British soldiers who fought in the Great War. The index bit refers to the Medal Roll in which the soldiers battalion details, etc, are listed.

If you would like a high resolution copy of the photograph please send me a personal message with your email address.

Simon.