Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SHEET 51 NW & SW - DO THEY EXIST ?

MERLINV12

Hi,

1st post in this section, and no map expert, so please be gentle !

As title, do Sheet 51 NW & SW exist ?

I AM ASSUMING IT IS SHEET 51, IT IS THE ONE TO THE RIGHT OF 51A.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm

According to McMaster University website they do not. Sod's law I need a map that covers the corners of four adjoining maps, these are:

51A NE & SE (available) and 51 NW & SW, which appear not to be available.

I have map references for two "lines" which start and finish on different maps, obviously would like one map that covers entire lines.

I beleive that there is some software "Linesman" ????, that allows you to join maps together, but obviously they need to exist in the first place !

Hopefully a map expert will be able to help me.

Happy New Year to you all.

Michael.

Michael

I'm sure there are some at http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=1&nophoto If you want those to the right of 51a then I assume you want Mormal Forest and further east. I have 51a and 51 not sure about the NW & SW part. I thought that sheet 51 was so far east that they didn't have time for larger scales ie splitting them into sub-maps. I guess this is for action upto the armistice?

TEW

Hi,

1st post in this section, and no map expert, so please be gentle !

As title, do Sheet 51 NW & SW exist ?

I AM ASSUMING IT IS SHEET 51, IT IS THE ONE TO THE RIGHT OF 51A.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm

According to McMaster University website they do not. Sod's law I need a map that covers the corners of four adjoining maps, these are:

51A NE & SE (available) and 51 NW & SW, which appear not to be available.

I have map references for two "lines" which start and finish on different maps, obviously would like one map that covers entire lines.

I beleive that there is some software "Linesman" ????, that allows you to join maps together, but obviously they need to exist in the first place !

Hopefully a map expert will be able to help me.

Happy New Year to you all.

Michael.

Micheal,

They definately do exist and are shortly to be published on our LinesMan20 product.

This location is, however, a long way from any maps marked with any trenches. All you will get is the base map.

You can indeed merge maps together with LinesMan.

If you care to post the exact map reference that you are after, I will merge them and post a screen shot.

All the best

Guy

Well done Guy - I was just posting a message to say you were the one to contact!

Jim

Michael

I'm sure there are some at http://lt1.mcmaster....?grid=1 If you want those to the right of 51a then I assume you want Mormal Forest and further east. I have 51a and 51 not sure about the NW & SW part. I thought that sheet 51 was so far east that they didn't have time for larger scales ie splitting them into sub-maps. I guess this is for action upto the armistice?

TEW

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I only need the very left hand edge of Sheet 51, just need to find the positions of a "green line & blue line" (east of Villers-Pol) start points are on 51a NE, and finish (I think) on 51 NW or left side of a larger scale 51.

Start point "Blue Line" runs from "QUATRE VENTS" finishes L.35.b.5.9

Start point "Green Line" is G.27.d.6.0 finishes G.33.d.3.0

Time period is around 4-11-18.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Michael.

Micheal,

They definately do exist and are shortly to be published on our LinesMan20 product.

This location is, however, a long way from any maps marked with any trenches. All you will get is the base map.

You can indeed merge maps together with LinesMan.

If you care to post the exact map reference that you are after, I will merge them and post a screen shot.

All the best

Guy

Guy,

Thanks for the kind offer, if I get this sorted, will need to visit the places so will need to buy Linesman.

I only need the very left hand edge of Sheet 51, just need to find the positions of a "green line & blue line" (east of Villers-Pol) start points are on 51a NE, and finish (I think) on 51 NW or left side of a larger scale 51.

Best wishes,

Michael.

Well done Guy - I was just posting a message to say you were the one to contact!

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for being about to recommend Guy !

Best wishes,

Michael.

Guy,

Thanks for the kind offer, if I get this sorted, will need to visit the places so will need to buy Linesman.

I only need the very left hand edge of Sheet 51, just need to find the positions of a "green line & blue line" (east of Villers-Pol) start points are on 51a NE, and finish (I think) on 51 NW or left side of a larger scale 51.

Best wishes,

Michael.

Micheal

This is done with the new LinesMan20 1:20,000 scale product, which is not available for about a month +.

This area is NOT covered by British Army 1:10,000 scale mapping.

This is the above references plotted, I have drawn straight blue and green lines between.

It is a merge of 4 maps left 51ANE, 51ASE, and Right 51NW and 51SW. You can do this in no other tool.

There are no recorded trenches officially by the British trench maps in this area.

Hope this helps you.

Guy

post-12226-009167900 1294664106.jpg

On a Creeping Barrage map issued to 62nd & 3rd Divisions, dated 2/11/18, prepared for the attack on Villers-Pol, Orsinval and, further south, Le Quesnoy (to be taken by the NZ Division) the left-hand side (a & c)of squares L30, L36, R6, R12, R18 and R24 abut with the right-hand side (b & d) of squares G25, G31, M1, M7, M13 and M19

Micheal

This is done with the new LinesMan20 1:20,000 scale product, which is not available for about a month +.

This area is NOT covered by British Army 1:10,000 scale mapping.

This is the above references plotted, I have drawn straight blue and green lines between.

It is a merge of 4 maps left 51ANE, 51ASE, and Right 51NW and 51SW. You can do this in no other tool.

There are no recorded trenches officially by the British trench maps in this area.

Hope this helps you.

Guy

Guy,

What can I say !! Very impressed and very grateful for your efforts, exactly what I needed.

A great "advert" for what Linesman" is capable of, and is an absolute must if going to find/visit sites.

Thankyou once again.

Best wishes,

Michael.

Michael

I'm sure there are some at http://lt1.mcmaster....?grid=1 If you want those to the right of 51a then I assume you want Mormal Forest and further east. I have 51a and 51 not sure about the NW & SW part. I thought that sheet 51 was so far east that they didn't have time for larger scales ie splitting them into sub-maps. I guess this is for action upto the armistice?

TEW

TEW,

Thanks for your reply, yes am interested in period around 4-11-18, 2nd Batt Coldstream Guards.

As it turns out the map references I was interested in were just into Sheet 51, within a mile of Villers-Pol.

Please see "Smithmaps" replies, that will "explain", he has produced exactly what I needed, he is my hero !

Best wishes,

Michael.

On a Creeping Barrage map issued to 62nd & 3rd Divisions, dated 2/11/18, prepared for the attack on Villers-Pol, Orsinval and, further south, Le Quesnoy (to be taken by the NZ Division) the left-hand side (a & c)of squares L30, L36, R6, R12, R18 and R24 abut with the right-hand side (b & d) of squares G25, G31, M1, M7, M13 and M19

Hi,

Thanks for your reply & information, I will need to view maps using your squares to see if they reveal any further info for me.

The "lines" I am interested in are due East of Villers-Pol, attacked by 2nd Batt Coldstream Guards on 3/4-11-18.

Please see "Smithmaps" posts on this subject, will explain.

Thanks once again

Michael.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply & information, I will need to view maps using your squares to see if they reveal any further info for me.

The "lines" I am interested in are due East of Villers-Pol, attacked by 2nd Batt Coldstream Guards on 3/4-11-18.

Please see "Smithmaps" posts on this subject, will explain.

Thanks once again

Michael.

Hi

The map I have, printed for artillery use, includes the co-ordinates you gave & includes lift times and Protector lines. It's a paper map, stamped secret & printed the day before the attack; it was issued to VI Corps which included 2nd, 3rd, 62nd and Guards Divisions. By that date maps were printed off rapidly on Roneo because the front was changing almost hourly.

Regards

Martin

Hi

The map I have, printed for artillery use, includes the co-ordinates you gave & includes lift times and Protector lines. It's a paper map, stamped secret & printed the day before the attack; it was issued to VI Corps which included 2nd, 3rd, 62nd and Guards Divisions. By that date maps were printed off rapidly on Roneo because the front was changing almost hourly.

Regards

Martin

Martin,

Thanks once again for your reply, is the map you mention in the public domain ??

Would be nice to get a copy, or a local scan of just the area I am interested in, if scale permits.

Best wishes,

Michael.

Hi

The map won't be in the public domain, but I'll try and send you a scan if you PM me your email address. It is fairly delicate so we shall see. With it I can also send a village map of Villers-Pol dated 1/11/18, through which troops would have had to come in order to move up into position. The village map is more robust.

Regards

Martin