Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strange Cap Badge - British Army, Post-WW1?

Beery

Hi folks,

I'm trying to identify a relative of mine. As far as I know, this is a photo taken after WW1, about 1928, of my cousin William Wheelhouse of Sheffield, Yorkshire. The problem is, it may not be him - it could be a WW1-dated image of another relative. Also, I'm stumped by the cap badge - I can't make it out at all. It kind of looks like a light infantry bugle, but it just doesn't look right to me. The uniform itself doesn't seem to give anything away - no patches or anything that I can see. The puttees are wrapped infantry-fashion, but that's not really much to go on.

Any ideas?

post-45144-047147300 1294191410.jpg

I've been looking at cap badges and I think I've got it. It looks like a KOYLI badge. Still not sure of the date yet - didn't they change the badge after the war?

KOYLI and Great War, I'd say.

I would agree KOYLI. The buttons appear to be general service buttons, I would imagine that by 1928 they would be regimental.

Almost certainly wartime, and probably around 1917. The B5 boots, certain features on the SD jacket, and the soft serge cap are all typical wartime manufacture. KOYLI, without any doubt.

Thanks all. It looked to me like a wartime photo, but I couldn't be sure.

This morning I noticed that he's wearing the soft version of the SD Cap (the 'trench cap) that came into use in 1916. Any idea when this style of cap went out of use?

just for comparison, here is a picture of my grandfather, 6 batt. KOYLI, taken in october 1917 on blighty leave,

regards,John.

3 X Medal Index Cards to Wheelhouse and Yorkshire Light Infantry but none to a William...Have to agree its earlier than you think.If William never went overseas then no MIC.

Ady

• 8 years later...

Hi 

My name is Alan Hainsworth related to the same family.

William Wheelhouse was in the Navy and killed in an accident when the ship ran aground in fog near the Isles of Scilly. 

Ian Brett Cooper has done a lot of work on this and I am sure he would help you out if you need it.

The fist picture is the Wheelhouse family at home in Sheffield and the Navy picture shows William front row third from left.

He  is buried at Gwithian Church, Gwithian Cornwall where his body was found. Ian Cooper has linked quite a lot of info to the Gwithian web sites.

The photo of the shoulder looks to be Allan Greaves from another side (Hainsworth) of my family

Regards

Alan Hainsworth

Wheelhouse0001.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ad1.jpg

37 minutes ago, Alan Hainsworth said:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ad1.jpg

Alan, this is a superb photograph thank you for posting, do you have any further information on it? I assume its related to William Wheelhouse? 

Regards

Toby 

Edited by Toby Brayley

Hi 

My name is Alan Hainsworth related to the same family.

William Wheelhouse was in the Navy and killed in an accident when the ship ran aground in fog near the Isles of Scilly. 

Ian Brett Cooper has done a lot of work on this and I am sure he would help you out if you need it.

The fist picture is the Wheelhouse family at home in Sheffield and the Navy picture shows William front row third from left.

He  is buried at Gwithian Church, Gwithian Cornwall where his body was found. Ian Cooper has linked quite a lot of info to the Gwithian web sites.

The photo of the shoulder looks to be Allan Greaves from another side (Hainsworth) of my family

Regards

Alan Hainsworth

Hi Toby

Great to hear from you.

The navy picture shows William Wheelhouse on the front row third in. 

A lot of info is online researched by Ian Cooper:- 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwjZ29ed2ePfAhV0tHEKHXDqDPwQFjACegQIARAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk%2FYourSoldier%2FWheelhouse_W.html&usg=AOvVaw3f8wEJkB1cF9eIQO4gWCJf

William was my fathers grandfathers brother.

I have quite a lot of info on them if you would like to see it

Alan 

The medal index cards don't show an Allan or Alan Greaves in the KOYLI. He could have been Home Service only but they weren't supposed to be issued with the soft cap.

Hi Toby

Great to hear from you.

The navy picture shows William Wheelhouse on the front row third in. 

A lot of info is online researched by Ian Cooper:- 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwjZ29ed2ePfAhV0tHEKHXDqDPwQFjACegQIARAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk%2FYourSoldier%2FWheelhouse_W.html&usg=AOvVaw3f8wEJkB1cF9eIQO4gWCJf

William was my fathers grandfathers brother.

I have quite a lot of info on them if you would like to see it

Alan 

Hi Must admit I am very new to this and did find this on Forces War reciords 774511064_Screenshot2019-01-11at11_54_46.png.1f9ab7046d57fead13d7ee2ac3015cba.png