Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SILVER WAR BADGE LIST

catsanddogs

Hello

I am new to this forum--so hope i am using it correctly?

I have,what i believe to be my Great Uncle,George Johnson,medal card.It is blank,all but his name,corps R.F.A 251 Bde.Gunner.Regtno 910821.No medals are listed,no theatre of war.All thats written on it is S.W.B.list R.A.4870.

From reading previous listings i gather R.A.4870 refers to the reason why he would have been discharged from the army--injury,unsuitable,misconduct etc etc.

Can any one tell me please what R.A.4870 refers to? I am guessing all the reasons are listed numerically,so maybe someone has come across this number before?

I also have read that the SWB list is available at Kew(?) but unfortunately i live overseas in Portugal,so a visit there would not be possible.

This is probably going to be a really stupid question,but would a medal card be issued to someone who may not even have seen any action in WWi? Also would this SWB be appropriate to a soldier in India? I am asking this because all i know about my Great Uncle is that he was born in India,but is listed on the 1911 census as attached to the 44th Battery RFA.Bellary.India.As a gunner,aged 18.This would have been a British Regiment(?) but i believe the 44th Batt.was assigned to the 9th Indian (Secunderabad)division.They were a regular division of the Indian Army,and from what i gathered the division remained in India throughout WW1.

In 1917 when my Great Uncle married,he is shown as serving as a gunner with the 101st Battery RFA.I also thought they remained in India during WW1.

This is what i cannot understand--why he would be awarded the SWB?

I do hope there is someone out there who can put me on the right tracks,as i think i am going horribly wrong somewhere.

With many thanks

From a "confused" Chrissie!!

Hi Chrissie,

Welcome to the forum!

Your Great Uncle has two MIC's -

http://www.nationala...pe=1=*

The one you have showing SWB, the other British War and Victory Medal entitlement. He didn't qualify for a Star so he entered theatre of war after 31/12/1915. No entry date or theatre shown which was normal for those who didn't qualify for a Star. R.A.4870 is the SWB Roll on which his details are recorded. It is possible that a forum member has access to the roll and can give you the details.

John

Hi Chrissie,

Welcome to the forum!

Your Great Uncle has two MIC's -

http://www.nationala...pe=1=*

The one you have showing SWB, the other British War and Victory Medal entitlement. He didn't qualify for a Star so he entered theatre of war after 31/12/1915. No entry date or theatre shown which was normal for those who didn't qualify for a Star. R.A.4870 is the SWB Roll on which his details are recorded. It is possible that a forum member has access to the roll and can give you the details.

John

Thank you so much John and Robert.

Now I am even more confused--the other medal card,John, indicates he has a middle name "J"--my George,according to his birth details showed no middle name!! Now i am wondering whether i have the right "George" or not !! I think i now need to delve further.

Thankyou Robert for the links--the medal roll is obviously what i need too.!!

So,Just in case this IS my Great Uncle,and referring to the SWB list RA 4870--Is not a list available anywhere--so you can just numerically go through it to determine which each number refers to?? Or am i asking too much!!??

Again,thank you John and Robert for your helpful replies--if i ever get to England I think i shall try to get hold of this "List" and copy down what each number means--then post it on this forum!!! I think it would help alot of people.

Best Wishes

Chrissie