Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Gazette help 1918

Alan Tucker

I recently took on a new PC and recently discovered that adobe acrobat was refusing to download (so I can open and read) NA war diaries and medal cards as my old PC did with no problems at all. I have now discovered it is doing the same with LG entries.

I need the London Gazette entry - DCM -for H.E Wingate, Ammunition Column, RHA (Tenby). Gazetted on 31.5.18 and in 3.6.18 supplement to that edition.Page 6483, Issue 30716.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Alan

I presume it's the citation you're after rather than the listing in which case it's in the London Gazette #30961, dated 21st October 1918 and on Page 12379. A link to it is here...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30961/supplements/12379

Citation reads...

2973 B.S.M. H. E. Wingate, R.H.A. (Tenby).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Owing to the illness of two of his officers much extra responsibility has fallen on this warrant officer for several months. His zeal and untiring energy have been worthy of the highest praise and he has set a splendid example to all ranks.

The 'listing' you referred to in your post simply reads...

2973 B.S.M H. E. Wingate, R.H.A., Ammn. Col. (Tenby).

Regards

Steve

If his next of kin were resident in Tenby, and given that his DCM is October 1918 you may like to know that the Pembrokeshire Absent Voters List 1918 edn. survives. It is held at the Pembs. County Record Office, Haverfordwest.

Member jaydubya might be able to help with the local connection, possibly.

LST_164

• 6 months later...

Alan,

Herbert Ernest Wingate lived at 6, Greenhill Avenue, Tenby.

Diggler.