Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to Identify these ladies in uniform

derekb

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help to identify the uniforms being worn in the attached photograhps (ladies certainly, men possibly)

The postcard/photograph staes Carte Postale, is it a safe assumption that it was produced in France.

I can not attach a crop of the image, but will do later if needed.

Regards,

Derek

post-18694-087082000 1294149465.jpg

A scotch egg and spoon race?

Bruce

Well, the white stockings suggest nurses or VADs and the Glengarry tempts one to think Scottish Nurses Corps but I think that's too easy. The caps at the end suggest WAAC (or QMAAC). Antony

Bruce, Piorun and Doc2,

I've been looking at the photo again under an illuminated magnifying glass, the officer on the lefts cap badge is a bursting grenade - Grenadier Guards or what else?

Also the Scottish officer appears to be holding a large revolver - Webley? ready to start the race.

Regards,

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, so you are saying they are veterinarians? :lol: Doc

Looks a bit like a race course to me! The one fourth from the left bears a superficial resemblance to my grandmother. She started out as a VAD at Le Treport, and ended up at the end of the war as a WAAC with one of those caps- going on to Germany. Based at Hazebrouck before heading to Cologne. I expect there were hundreds (or possibly thousands ) who looked like this.

Geoffrey