Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Devons....8 September 1916

brimacombe

I have one of my Holsworthy Boys - Maurice Bromell kia on this date whilst with the unit in Mesopotamia.

The regimental history says little about this period so I am a little stumped at the moment.

Has anyone got any idea what happened on this date?

Regards

Shawn

Shawn

Maurice enlisted in Shepton Mallet No. 266858. Formerly of Somerset Light Infantry No. 19698.

Atkinson has very little info on 1/6th for this period. Being reinforced from May to September. Moved to Sheik Saad in September then Amara in October with only 9 officers & 276 ORs. Nothing specific for September at all.

Just realised the regimental history you mention is probably Atkinson's

I checked with Geoff's Search Engine and see that 4 men from 1/6th Bn. died on 8th Sept. and 11 men during Sept and 7 during August. Something odd must have happened 8/9/16 to have claimed 4 men with nothing mentioned by Atkinson.

TEW

Edited by TEW

Hi

The 6/Devons history shows nothing happening on that day; but RSM Pickard returned from hospital on the 7th and ration parties shelled on the 9th, no casualties given

The Battalion Roll records a Pte M Bromell as wounded and missing at Es Sinn on 8/3/16, reported POW on 22/5/16. Could he have died in captivity?

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin.

It's possible, though SDGW states Kia. He appears on the Jerusalem Memorial so has no known grave.

There is a 6th Devons history? If so could you possibly do some lookups or me? Numerous Holsworthy men served and died in the unit.

Kind regards

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Will happily have a look. The bulk of the history is made up of roll of men who served overseas; quite a few died of disease.

Looked up on CWGC site the other three 6/Devon men who died on that date and they are commemorated on the Basra Memorial.

The 6th history provides the following info:

Hill T H: Wounded and missing Es Sinn 8/3/16, reported POW Baghdad August 1916

Pomeroy R: Missing Es Sinn 8/3/16, reported POW Mosul

Stoneman R: POW Baghdad

I get the feeling that all contact was lost with them and a date was set for their "official" death.

Regards

Martin

Looks like you're right, thanks for that.

I've listed below the men on my list all 1/6th Devons, I would be so so grateful for any details or mentions of them.

By the way, when was the book published, etc, would love to get my hands on a copy...

2616 Pte William Lewis BOUNDY (DIED 20/11/17)

265073 Pte Alfred CLOAK (DIED 25/4/19)

664 Pte Harry (Henry) GILBERT (KIA 8/3/16)

3067 Pte Sidney INCH (KIA 8/3/16)

2202 Pte Walter Evelyn MARTIN (KIA 8/3/16)

Captain John Sercombe STRANGER (KIA 8/3/16)

2026 Pte William James TUBB (8/3/16)

265427 Pte William Ward (killed accidentally 28/5/18)

8 May 1916 was a dark day for Holsworthy - as for so many other Devon towns... I'd love to know what the book says about this action.

I'm sure John Sercombe Stranger will appear on numerous pages, having been instrumental in the raising of a half company at Holsworthy.

Willy Ward was killed by accident when attending instruction on the machine gun. A live round had been placed in the belt in error. Killing him instantly...

I know it's a long list but I would be so grateful for any information you may be able to extract from the book.

Thank you so much for your help.

Kindest regards

Shawn

Correction...

William Lewis BOUNDY should read 1916 NOT 1917..

Hi

Just a quick starter and I'll get back to the rest a little later.

The published history is:

The 6th Battalion The Devonshire Regiment in The Great War

Lt Col C L Flick CMG CBE

A E Barnes, Barnstaple

How about another puzzle to begin with? William Lewis Boundy is in the Roll of the Battalion but there is no mention of his death. The CWGC site does not record him as a casualty either.

Will get back with the rest of the names in a little while

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin.

Things are never simple are they!

SDGW have him as died 20 November 1916. He's on CWGC too, with the following additional information : So of Mr and Mrs William BOUNDY of Cranford House, Woolsery, Bucks Cross, Devon.

He is recorded on Face C Kirkee 14/18 Memorial.

Looking forward to hearing from you later.

Regards

Shawn

Hi Martin.

Things are never simple are they!

SDGW have him as died 20 November 1916. He's on CWGC too, with the following additional information : So of Mr and Mrs William BOUNDY of Cranford House, Woolsery, Bucks Cross, Devon.

He is recorded on Face C Kirkee 14/18 Memorial.

Looking forward to hearing from you later.

Regards

Shawn

I found him on GCWC. When I looked first time I typed in Boundy W L and nothing came up, but when, the 2nd time, after you'd said he was recorded, I just entered Boundy & up he popped among 3 pages worth. Next puzzle is why is he on the Kirkee memorial without a known grave, the Battalion had long since been in Mesopotamia (Jan 3rd)?

Anyway, here goes with the other names

The only extra info Flick gives on 265073 Pte Cloak is that he was in D Company. He of course died after the armistice; flu was prevalent at this time.

664 Sgt G H Gilbert D Co. was killed in action at Es Sinn 8/3/16. Seems he was a Sgt by that time, the number matches.

266340 L/Cpl S Inch D Co. Missing, Es Sinn. Assumed dead. The number is different but only 1 Inch on Roll and date of death matches

265633 Cpl W E Martin B Co. Missing, Es Sinn. Assumed dead.

Capt J S Stranger KIA Es Sinn. He was present at mobilisation on 6th August 1914, but doesn't mention his raising of the half company

2026 Pte W J Tubb D Co. KIA, Es Sinn

265427 Pte W Ward C Co. No extra information about how he recieved his wound, just says died in Nasiriyeh "from wounds accidentally received"

There is little more than you've already got but now you know which company some of them were in :)

Regards

Martin

Thanks so much Martin, I really appreciate your help.

I'd be interested to know what the book says about 8 march and es Sinn. I have read numerous accounts which include mention of the 6th Devons, but not from 'the horses mouth' as it were?

Do you have a particular interest in the Battalion? I have spent some time collating together information regarding the early years of the Holsworthy Coy...

Regards

Shawn

From the CWGC Historical Information:

The KIRKEE MEMORIAL commemorates more than 1,800 servicemen who died in India during the First World War, who are buried in civil and cantonment cemeteries in India and Pakistan* where their graves can no longer be properly maintained. This total includes the names of 629 servicemen whose remains were brought from Bombay (Sewri) Cemetery for re-interment here in 1960.

Could Boundy have been evacuated to India with wounds or disease, and then died there?

Harry

How about this for a reason Boundy is still in India...

On moving to Mesopotamia the Bn left behind over100 men unfit for service. Could BOUNDY have been amongst them and either joined the 2/6th on their arrival in India or another unit?

His MIC doesn't indicate this but I have another guy from the DCLI who appears to have been seconded to a Bn of the Dorsets, again with no mention on his MIC.

This would also explain why Boundy is not listed as killed on the Role of Honour.

Thoughts guys?