Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallantry Cards

mortimer

I have been interested in these, now rare, ephemeral tokens of heroism for years but encounter them now so infrequently. Can anyone clarify their issue? Some seem to have been awarded in CONJUNCTION with a medal, i.e an MM. Others on their own. I always assumed they were awarded for an act falling short of medalic recognition but it seems this was wrong.

Condon in his book on MID's notes Haig said that soldiers disliked MID's in favour of a medal, one wonders how these cards were regarded. They seem to appear in many different guises, from large certificates to small velum 'cards'.

Prices vary from, as cheap as £10 or £12, to one I recently saw on ebay - unsold @ £600! The average seems +/- £50. Some soldiers, I note from an unpublished Coy Cdrs diary had been put up for an award 4 times before even receiving a CARD!, never getting a medal, with an average of 3 VC's a week I suppose it was par for the course in WW1.

I know it's not quite the same thing but I have in my possession a small "credit card" sized card from Vickers which was sent to an MM winner in the Coldstream Guards.

I wondered how frequently these were sent out. The card itself just has a few printed words on the front to the effect "...in gratitude for a heroic deed etc etc" underneath the four flags Great Britain, France, Belgium and Russia.

I bought this one for about £3. I realise it's not the same type of card mentioned above but was curious to learn more about them.

post-2388-066116500 1294079578.jpgThere appears to be no direct correalation between Merit/Gallantry Cards/Certificates et al & Actual Medals,remember initially the only award for ORs for Gallantry & Distinguished Service in The Face of the Enemy,was, effectively the DCM,The MM not "arriving" until June 1916.MiD "Certificates" & "Emblems" were not authorised until after the cessation of Hostilities,thus the only recognition was a LG Promulgation for those.

Some Certificates were later recognised by an intrinsic actual medallic Award,but by no means always,The Cards & Certificates could be Battalion,Divisional or Brigade founded,& vary from just a simple recognition with scant details,perhaps a date & place,to others which might offer,what amounts to a Citation,worthy of an MM,or even DCM but with no tangible recognition.

I have one of the "Citation" type for the 1st Bn Northamptonshire Regt Private Samuel Adnitt whose only awards were the 1914~15 Star British War & Victory Medals,He was not MiD ,nor awarded a Gallantry award,{not even an inter~alia Allied award}{see link} which reads {somewhat faded}

:~"During the recent operations near Passchendale;This man carried Messages under Heavy Shell,Machine Gun & Rifle Fire to the Front Line in a very exposed position,with snow on the ground & very bright moonlight.This man on previous occassions has shown conspicious gallantry in carrying out all his duties

as a Company Runner"

Signed Maj.Gen.Cdg 8th Divn{signature illegible}

For Some Examples See this Link:~

Gallantry Cards/Certificates

The Lower Card is that of an Ex Cambs Cpl C E V Wood,MM; 2nd Bn; South Staffs R. for his work as a Stretcher Bearer he was later awarded the MM [LG 1919] however it is unknown if that is a direct klink to the Card or another spell of Good Deeds??

post-2388-080127400 1294084971.jpg

Super informative, MANY thanks...if I may?, in a few days, will send you details of a particular man for your opinion (4 cards & MM), thanks, Mort

• 9 years later...
On 04/06/2020 at 23:26, Monty53 said:

Hi HarryBettsMCDCM

i have come across your post when searching my family tree.  I am still early days with it, but I believe, Private Samuel Adnitt is my Mum’s great uncle.

it is a marvellous story anyway but to think he is a real close relative makes it even more wonderful.

I would be really grateful if you (or any other forum members) could maybe help us find more about Samuel and he contributions to the war 

thanks 

vicky 

hi HarryBettsMCDCM

i am Samuel Adnitt’s grandaughter. . My father completed an extensive family tree and I have Samuels letters to his fiancé after he was wounded and then captured and in a camp in Gottenburg 

19 minutes ago, Veronica Stevens said:

vicky

Vicky

Harry was last on the forum in December 2019 

He may not see your post 

you could try clicking on his profile and sending him a personal message 

He may of course not receive it if he has notifications switched off or he has changed his e mail address 

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Veronica, apologies for my delay in replying, I have only just re-signed into GWF after a gap of a year or three!! I was interested to hear about Samuel from you, regards Roger (HB)

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late I know but 37th Division had a Green Card for distinguished conduct in the field.  It is postcard size on green linen reinforced card.

1094456533_37thDivisionGreenCard.jpg.8e5687ec7798ff03cd6e6f55955fd900.jpg

On 04/08/2020 at 22:07, HarryBettsMCDCM said:

Hi Veronica, apologies for my delay in replying, I have only just re-signed into GWF after a gap of a year or three!! I was interested to hear about Samuel from you, regards Roger (HB)

I hope this info re Samuel Adnitt’s funeral in 1940 reaches you  And you can read it . He was proud of his certificate as it was hung in the house. 

image.jpg

Thank you Veronica, Regards Roget (HarryBettsMCDCM)

I have been intrigued by these "cards" too and its interesting to the examples above

In a letter dated 22.9.1916, my grandfather wrote "I was told by the Brigade Major that I have been recommended for the MC. Of course it may not go thro'  as many recommendations are quashed, there are so many, so don't think anything about it till we hear more. I only hope it may mean leave.”

On the 26.09.1916 he wrote that he had just had a card "sent from the Divisional General placing on record his appreciation & thanks for my valiant and gallant service on ---- at ---- by doing so & so. I would send it but it might get lost and prob. is all I get out of it.”

By the 11.10.1916 he wrote that "it has come thro' & I can sport the white-blue-white".

Finally on 20.10.1916 he wrote "We had a parade of all the Brigade last Sunday [15.10.1916] & the Divisional General pinned on the ribbons There were 3 M.C.s (officers) the Brigade Major was one of them & another sub & I.  1 D.C.M. a Sgt & 4 or 5 Mil Medals, some of which went to the stretcher bearers, regimental not R.A.M.C. & they deserved them too."

Sadly, we couldn't find the 'card' amongst his papers.