Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal Ernest Samuel Timmins DCM

rmtruby

I am currently doing some research on my great uncle, Lance Corporal Ernest Samuel Timmins DCM (300115). He served with the 1/1st South Staffs Yeomanry in Egypt and was killed accidentally in Cairo in August 1918. He was from Bilhay Street, West Bromwich, and worked in K & J's on the High Street in West Bromwich before joining up.

If anyone has any information whatsoever on Ernest, the South Staffs Yeomanry or on any related topic, it would be greatly appreciated. The attached photo is of Ernest, possibly taken in 1915. I'm not sure where it was taken, but it is most likely somewhere in the Midlands.

I am also doing research on West Bromwich before and during the First World War.

Thanks

Ray

post-2-1087908396.jpg

Here's his citation from the London Gazette, 28 March, 1918 (Issue 30601), link.

300115 Pte. (L./C.) E. S. Timmins, Yeo. West Bromwich, Staffs.).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He brought in a wounded man under very heavy fire. To accomplish this he had to dismount in the open and drive off a party of the enemy. He showed great courage and self-sacrifice.

My troop Sergeant in 1 Tp, B (Staffordshire Yeomanry) Sqn, Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry (based Tipton) in 1979 was Sgt Timmins.... If I remember correctly, known as 'Archie..'

Related??

PS Please, not the 'South' Staffs Yeomanry! (Confuses the Staffordshire Yeomanry - whole County - with the South Staffordshire Regiment, infantry...) Sorry to be picky, but the Staffs Yeo gets forgotten these days, not much mention of it in the D Day commemorations, for example...

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

Could anyone fill me in on the kind of training that a new recruit would expect to receive in the Staffordshire Yeomanry in 1914 / 1915?

A newspaper report from November 1918 described Ernest as a "Trooper". Does anyone know exactly what this refers to in terms of the structure of the Staffordshire Yeomanry?

I know that Ernest was in "D" Squadron. Am I right in thinking that they recruited in Wolverhampton?

I am also trying to find out what kind of training a volunteer would expect to receive.

I do know that Ernest spent some time in Brome near Eye, in Suffolk, possibly in the winter of 1914/15. Does anyone know whether there were barracks there, or some kind of training facilities?

Thanks

Ray

Ray

Squadrons

Headquarters - Stafford

A Squadron - Walsall

B Squadron - Stoke-on-Trent

C Squadron - Burton-on-Trent

D Squadron - Wolverhampton

Regards Doug.

Can anyone help me find out a comprehensive list of all the men who served with the Staffordshire Yeomanry, especially in 1/1st Staffordshire Yeomanry, 'D' Squadron?

hello ray, did you receive my e-mail?,ive got to the L's so far in the west brom book and have found 22 men who served with the staff yeo

enoch

Just to add some information to the previous postings.

The peacetime drill hall for D Squadron of The Staffordshire Yeomanry was located at West Park in Wolverhampton, with a drill station at Himley.

Recruits for the Staffordshire Yeomanry were generally sent to Stafford to be attested after August 1914, where the regiment's headquarters were located at Bailey Street. From there, they would be sent to the Reserve Regiment at Tixall, just outside Stafford, for basic training before (provided that they had volunteered for service overseas) being sent to the Service Regiment in Norfolk. When the 2/1st Staffordshire Yeomanry replaced the First-Line Regiment in Norfolk, the 3/1st Staffordshire Yeomanry took over this function until it early 1917 when it was absorbed into 3rd Reserve Cavalry Regiment.

The Reserve Regiment of The Staffordshire Yeomanry (later titled 2/1st Staffordshire Yeomanry) was formed in September 1914 at Tixall, but it was not until late into the following month that the first appeal for recruits was made. When Major Lovelace Stamer eventually made his appeal for recruits, not only did he need 300 men to bring the Reserve regiment up to establishment, but also 100 men were urgently required for the Service Regiment (later 1/1st Staffordshire Yeomanry) stationed in and around Diss. This delay was later attributed to a lack of recruits from agricultural backgrounds with the experience of riding and caring for horses and as a result recruits from all occupations were accepted. In response to criticism from Colonel P.R.S. Churchward, the Officer Commanding No. 6 District, who requested that only experienced riders should be recruited for mounted units, Lord Dartmouth replied that the recruiting of such men would continue as they could be trained. Despite the problems experienced with obtaining suitable recruits for the regiment, the Reserve regiment of the Staffordshire Yeomanry was only 42 men below establishment by 31 January 1915.

The 1/1st Staffordshire Yeomanry and 1/1st North Midland Mounted Field Ambulance, which had its drill halls at 59 Soho Road, Handsworth and Swan Village, West Bromwich, did not form part of the North Midland Division and remained in England for over a year after their mobilisation. In September 1914, the two units were despatched with the 1st North Midland Mounted Brigade to Diss in Norfolk, where they carried out patrols along the coast watching for the approach of any German raiding force. During the summer of 1915, the Yeomanry were deprived of their horses and began training in an infantry role until their mounts were restored to them in September. The two Staffordshire units embarked at Southampton on 27 October and were originally destined to join the forces then arriving at Salonika until these orders were changed during the voyage. The Staffordshire Yeomanry and 1st/1st North Midland Mounted Field Ambulance eventually disembarked at Alexandria on 9 November 1915 would remain in the Middle East until the end of the war.

The records for The Staffordshire Yeomanry are located at The Staffordshire Record Office, Eastgate Street, Stafford, Staffordshire and can be found catalogued as: D1300 Staffordshire Yeomanry (Queen’s Own Royal Regiment) 1794-1951. There are some Orders that contain names, but unfortunately no comprehensive nominal roll.

I happen to have about 40 photos, mostly of D Squadron, taken at various camps and training in Norfolk between 1909 to 1915. If you are interested I can post some scans.

I also have a copy of the regimental history:

P.K. Kemp, The Staffordshire Yeomanry (Q.O.R.R.) in the First and Second World Wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 (Aldershot: Gale and Polden Ltd., 1950)

Trooper is equivalent to a Private in the Infantry (or Gunner/Sapper/Driver etc. in other arms and services). However, during the Great War, the rank of Trooper was the preserve of the Household Cavalry and Private was used in the Line Cavalry and Yeomanry, although Trooper was a popular unofficial term. Trooper was not authorised for the rest of the cavalry until after the war, I think in 1920 but someone can perhaps provide the exact AO/ACI.

hello ray, heres the list of men in the west brom book who served in the staff. yeo.

blencone william c. tpr 300112

broome alfred tpr 300836

bynion william tpr 3414

carter frederick e. tpr 301561

church frederick cpl 300651

cropper edwin s/sgt mr 301034

crump paul o. tpr 300831

dalgleish howard a. sgt 300116

deeley frederick c. tpr 300898

evans harry tpr 143996

farmer charles tpr 36075

freeman ernest r. cpl 2439

greenway howard m. tpr 300910

grice harry c. tpr 300915

griffiths william tpr 300770

horton ralph tpr 3527

humphries thomas s. tpr 300893

johnson john tpr 300792

jones james a. tpr 300772

jukes eli tpr 300941

knight william tpr 300750

law felix tpr 300820

lea arthur tpr 300829

leppard kenneth s. tpr 300047

lowe harry w. tpr 300813

mason john e.t. tpr 300166

moore george tpr 3565

parsons sidney tpr 300776

pearson s. harry tpr 300001

peters william t. tpr 244

piggott john tpr 300771

pitt joseph t. tpr died

simcox george h. tpr 301004

skidmore herbert tpr 300757

smith bertram c.j. tpr 301581

smith herbert tpr 300944

spooner william h. tpr 300767

stanley tom sgt 300043

taylor william h. l/cpl 300114

thomas william tpr 300707

timmins ernest l/cpl 300115 dcm killed 1918

waterfield william tpr 300827

watson harry tpr 300795

whitehouse daniel cqms 300668

williams arthur tpr 300758

winston albert tpr 3728

i hope this will be of some help!

enoch

• 2 weeks later...

This photograph of Ernest was most likely taken at a similar time to the others.

By the way, thanks to everyone who has contributed so far to this line of research.

Ray

post-2-1090661668.jpg

Before the war Ernest worked at K & J's, on West Bromwich High Street. This is a photo of their football team, taken in 1914. He isn't on the photo, but the photo does feature Bert Sower - second from the right on the back row. I believe that Bert's brother, Harry, was later the Mayor of West Bromwich.

Ray

post-2-1090662218.jpg

This photo was taken shortly after Ernest had enlisted.

Ray

post-2-1090665489.jpg

This photo was taken in Dartmouth Park, West Bromwich, in 1912. Ernest is on the right. His brother, Joe, is on the left.

Ray

post-2-1090665993.jpg

This photograph is of Daniel Timmins, Ernest's father.

Ray

post-2-1090666130.jpg

This photograph is of Harriet Timmins, Ernest's sister.

Ray

post-2-1090666211.jpg

As part of my research into my great uncle, I'm also trying to build up a picture of the West Bromwich connection with the Staffordshire Yeomanry.

Pte. W. H. LOWE, (300813), 1/1st, Staffordshire Yeomanry, is buried in ALL SAINTS CHURCHYARD EXTENSION, West Bromwich. He died on Wednesday, 29th June 1921. Age 27. Grave Reference: Old. NG. 1211.

Ray

I've just checked all the names of the West Bromwich men in the Staffordshire Yeomanry on the CWGC website. It appears that the only West Bromwich men who died were Ernest Timmins, in August 1918 and W. H. Lowe on 29th June 1921. Can anyone help confirm whether this is true or not?

Thanks

Ray

I believe this postcard was from someone in the Staffordshire Yeomanry to his home. It mentions a stampede at the camp. I was wondering whether the evidence in the postcard corroborates with the evidence in the regimental diary.

Can anyone varify whether this postcard was in fact from an SY soldier?

Thanks

Ray

post-2-1091275949.jpg

This picture is of the other side of the postcard.

Thanks

Ray

post-2-1091276078.jpg

This is a new and more detailed scan of a picture I posted a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Ray

post-2-1091278241.jpg