Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

gaurdsman mark wallace

scall38

Hi

am researching my great grand uncle Guardsman mark wallace from bannow wexford ireland

he was serving in the Irish Guards when he died 31 March 1918

his service number was 10425 and he died in Arras france

I would realy like to know when he enlisted and were the irish guards involved in any major operations around then.

also can anyone access his enlistment details

thanks

scall 38

The Foot Guards Regiments retained copies of their soldiers' records and they may be accessed by making contact with Regimental Headquarters.

Records Officer

RHQ Irish Guards

Wellington Barracks

Birdcage Walk

London

SW1E 6HQ

There will most likely be a fee to be paid, but an offer of a donation to regimental funds often oils the machinery anyway.

Cheers,

Nigel

CWGC has his first name as Mark, yet his MIC gives him a first name of Martin. SDGW also list him as Mark, so there's a bit of a difference. SDGW also states that he died of wounds.

I would say the MIC is incorrect as he is listed as Mark in the list of Irish casualties of the Great War.

He was a member of the 1st Battalion, Irish Guards and was born in Bannow, county Wexford. Unfortunately there is no Service or Pension Records for this soldier, however, there is the 'forgotten masterpiece' of Rudyard Kipling - The Irish Guards in the Great War, the First Battalion. Mark is listed in the roll of honour in the back of the book. There is about four pages detailing the events between the German breakthrough and the end of April. The Battalion was not in the line during the push, but were thrust forward and had to dig their own defensive line. They felt the full brunt of the advance, however, their line did not break.

I have had the books (there is a second volume for the 2nd Battalion) for a number of years and they are a beautiful read.

Cheers Andy.

Scall38,

Andy has given you very good information on Guardsman Mark Wallace; can I just add that you can get a copy of "Irish Guards in the Great War" by Rudyard Kipling, in your local library.

Regards,

Ken.

thanks for that andy

i will try to get my hands on a copy of the book.

do you think that it might be possible to figure out what year he joined up by his army number.

stav

WALLACE, MARK. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit: No. 3 Coy. 1st Bn. Age at Death: 34. Date of Death: 31-March-1918. Service No: 10425. Born in Bannow, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Died of wounds. Supplementary information; Son of Bernard and Annie Wallace of Cullenstown, Bannow, Co. Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: II. A. 22. Cemetery: Bac-Ac-Du-Sud British Cemetery, Bailleulval in France.