Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 VICTORY MEDAL

jthompsonbt53

I have never bought or even handled a WW1 medal but now am on the trail of my great-uncle's WW1 Victory Medal which was sold recently on E-Bay. Unfortunately i missed the auction but do not intend to give up just yet.

The MIC was listed with the medal so to all intents and purposes would seem to be genuine.

My general question is should the soldier's name be engraved on this medal and secondly is it not strange to be offering just one of the soldier's medal set for sale with the MIC? Would this mean the other two medals are lost?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

John

Hi John

It`s not unusual for a single medal from a trio or pair to be sold on its own,the group may have been split years ago or may have been sold as single medals to try and up the price ( I`m not saying that`s what the seller has done this time.)usually it`s the BWM that was lost for it`s silver content,as for the MIC anyone can print them off.

And Yes your mans name,number and regiment should be on the rim of medal.BTY who was the medal for.

all the best Gary,

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your very informative reply. Good point about anyone being to print out the MIC.

The soldier in question was Private George Marks S/8242 9th Batt. Seaforth Highlanders.

Cheers,

John

John, If you know that his medal was sold recently on eBay I would suggest that you act quickly whilst you still can. Pull up the appropriate page and message the purchaser of the medal. If you cannot do this you can contact the vendor and ask for a message to be passed on. I say this because whilst medal collectors love collecting most will happily return a medal to the family as they will know that this is the right place for it. Offer a modest premium over the price paid so that the purchaser is not out of pocket. If you delay, the medal may not turn up again in your lifetime. Incidently, the naming on the medal will have been impressed - not engraved. Punches will have been used and the wording will likely read :- 8242 PTE.G.MARKS. SEA.HIGHRS.

Many thanks for the info., I will contact both parties right away.

Cheers,

John

John, If you know that his medal was sold recently on eBay I would suggest that you act quickly whilst you still can. Pull up the appropriate page and message the purchaser of the medal. If you cannot do this you can contact the vendor and ask for a message to be passed on. I say this because whilst medal collectors love collecting most will happily return a medal to the family as they will know that this is the right place for it. Offer a modest premium over the price paid so that the purchaser is not out of pocket. If you delay, the medal may not turn up again in your lifetime. Incidently, the naming on the medal will have been impressed - not engraved. Punches will have been used and the wording will likely read :- 8242 PTE.G.MARKS. SEA.HIGHRS.

Many thanks for the info., I will contact both parties right away.

Cheers,

John

Hope you get the medal and the others.

Dan

Pull up the appropriate page and message the purchaser of the medal. If you cannot do this you can contact the vendor and ask for a message to be passed on.

Ebay doesn't allow people to contact bidders directly anymore, a real shame as it means you can't inform them that an item is dodgy if you've already contacted a seller to say so and they have made no effort to inform potential bidders of this. You have to contact the seller, who often may be less than keen to share or pass on information.

Yes I have just discovered not able to contact e-bay buyer. Seller yet to respond.

Thanks for all the info.

Cheers,

John

Ebay doesn't allow people to contact bidders directly anymore, a real shame as it means you can't inform them that an item is dodgy if you've already contacted a seller to say so and they have made no effort to inform potential bidders of this. You have to contact the seller, who often may be less than keen to share or pass on information.

John,

Look for the Seller's Feedback.

If you can identify the item, you have the Buyer. Click on his user name & you may find a contact button.

Kath.

Kath,

Good thinking. Found buyer contact details under feedback as you suggested.

Here's hoping.

John

John,

Look for the Seller's Feedback.

If you can identify the item, you have the Buyer. Click on his user name & you may find a contact button.

Kath.