Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain AC Frame DSO Glasgow Highlanders

Raymond Bell

Hi

I am interested in details on a Capt AC Frame of the Glasgow Highlanders who was awarded a DSO for commanding the Mad Trench Raid - I have the war diaries and have general details on him but would be interested on anything else - ie MIC - I assist with the GH association and would like to do a story on him for our newsletter.

A relative of his contacted me saying he has a photograpgh of him and is willing to send me it to enhance the story - He does not have much info himself and I have sent him what I have and that is the reason for posting and asking the experts

Once again thanks

Dinger

There are 3 medal cards for an A C Frame of the Highland Light Infantry

A C Frame

Mentioned in Dispatches - London Gazette 4 Jan 1917 p.g 237

Andrew Carmichael Frame 9th HLI

BWM , VM, 1914 star

Served in the Sudan (1917)

A C Frame

2nd Lt

DSO

Mentioned in Dispatches - London Gazette 4 Jan 1917 p.g 237

Thank you for your reply ss002d6252 I will look up the Gazette notice and thank you to Dave for the MICs - I am trying to build up a story on Capt Frame DSO for the Glasgow Highlanders newsletter

Thanks to all you experts as usual your ever so helpful

Dinger

Captain A. Carmichael Frame

Educated at Glasgow Academy

served with the 9th (G. H.)Bn, HLI

Wounded in December 1914

Wounded again in July 1916

Distinguished Service Order in the London Gazette of 27 July 1916 for bravery SW of Ouchy with the following citation: For conspicuous gallantry and ability. He organized and carried out with great dash a successful raid on the enemy's trenches. Many of the enemy were killed, many prisoners taken and two machine guns destroyed."

Sources: Glasgow Academy Roll of Honour: Former Members of the School Who Served in the Great War 1914-1918; The Distinguished Service Order 1886-1923.

Regards, Dick Flory

Thank you Gary, Verrico2009, Dick and others who have posted and thank you for your promt postings I am always impressed with the speed that you guys come back everyone of you are stars

I have got Alec Weirs book "Come on Highlanders" and very interesting reading and a mine of information -

At the Battalion HQ of 6 Scots Walcheren Barracks Glasgow they have the original telegramme sent by the Glasgow Lord Provest to the Glasgow Highlanders commenting about the raid at madpoint framed in the officers mess, Capt Frame led the raid.

I help out with the GH association and do their newsletter for them and I was emailed by one of Capt Frames relatives asking if I knew the location of his Gt Uncles (Frame) DSO medal(s) - he said his mother sold it to a collector many years ago and was trying to find out it's location - It's a shame that his medal was sold on for what ever reason times must have been hard at the time for this lads mother to part with such a treasure

As I said I plan to put a story together on this officer and to other readers if you can add anything I will be very greatful - also any other Glasgow Highlander because as I said I'm always looking for stories and facts

I have other items on the GH if anyone wants any info

Alex Aiken - Courage Past

Shoulder to Shoulder

Glasgow Highlanders War Diary

Proud Heritage

A couple of other war diaries

Glasgow Highlanders Concise History WW2

Some Photos mostly WW2 and onwards

Some HLI Chronicles

My interest is that as a cadet I wore the GH badge - (which I still have) and my boss said I was to help them - thus the newsletter his family were involved with the GH and I have met quite a few of the veterans either at functions or by post -

The Cairn at High Wood which I visited a couple of years ago was constructed through Alec Aiken who wrote Courage Past the shame was that the cairn shows no real story for why it is at the edge of HIgh Wood France - Alec's book tells the story..... but after a little search I now know how it was built from the first thought in Alec's head to completing the cairn thanks through his lovely wife Jean - she let me read all his notes and they explain how he went about it - how he nearly gave up and was encouraged to "just go for it" and build the cairn - The cairn was built in 1972 - still stands but is starting to suffer wear and tear because of the weather but hopefully a restoration plan might happen

So please anyone who knows anyone who served with the GH or can help with a story please contact me either PM or through posting or can Email me at

dinger105@hotmail.com

Again thanks for all your help so far - Attaching a photo of the Cairn at High Wood

Dinger

post-30208-047406600 1293656149.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi Sorry

I was browsing for items on the Glasgow Highlanders and seen my original thread asking for information on Capt AC Frame Glasgow Highlanders

I thought you may want to read the finished article at

http://rhf.org.uk/rhf/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=81

It's the 2nd special edition listed at the bottom of the newsletters

Sorry again for such a time delay

Raymond Bell - Dinger

Edited by Raymond Bell

• 4 years later...

Just looking back on old posts - the site address in post 8 does not give the newsletter as they have updated their site sadly but here is a pdf of the newsletter

Raymond Bell

GH_News_SE2.pdf