Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Creaves Canadian Engineers

182 CEF

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this however it concerns a Soldier of the Great war. In my collection I have a "card photo" showing Cpl Greaves, with the title " Corporal Greaves and his $1000 Belt. It shows Cpl Greaves in his uniform wearing a "hate" belt, like I have never seen. On the back of the card it gives his story.

" He joined the Canadian Army in 1914 and was assigned to the First Original 18th Battalion. He was transfered to the Engineers on June 22 1916. His Father was killed at Vimy Ridge, by a bayonet jab through the heart on June 2nd 1916. His Brother was blown up along with 24 others at the same place as the Fathers death. Corporal Greaves Mother and 2 Sisters had Volunteered for the Red Cross and were also killed in the defence of Ypres. Greaves, himself was in this defence, being wounded in the second battle by shrapnel in the right leg. On Vimy Ridge, June 4th 1916, he was gased and bayoneted over the right eye. On August 24 1917, he received 14 machine gun bullets in his left side, paralyzing the left arm and cutting the legiments of the left leg"

The photo shows he is missing his left hand. He is wearing the ribbon for the MM.

I have often wondered if this type of card was made to sell, to raise money for men like these. Or perhaps they were given to his friends as a rememberance.

I have this photo in my living room and look at it often. When I do I think, it is for men like these that we can NEVER forget.

Dean Owen

Whitby Canada

He doesn't seem to be the sort of man I'd want to stand next to in a fire-fight! :o

But you are right, we must never forget those (on all sides) who served during the war.

I'm going to be dense now, what is a 'Hate' belt? ;)

Interesting story Dean, but have you checked this guy out in the records? There are some inconsistencies in the story - eg. the CEF were not on Vimy Ridge in June 1916, but Hill 62 - Mount Sorrel at Ypres. Only one women died at Ypres, and she wasn't Canadian!

Lee - a 'hate belt' was belt covered in badges and shoulder titles. You put on every regiment but your own, because with regimental pride you 'hated' every mob but yours!

I am trying to find out more about this man. When I do I will post the info. I gotta find someone that does research at the Archives in Ottawa.

Dean Owen

• 8 months later...

Hey Dean, in searching for hate belts, I found this thread. Did you ever learn any more about this fellow?

Peter on the West Coast