stiletto_33853

harry cecil frank drader

seved in 2 company,

regimental number 3765,

joined the corps 27/5/15;

North'd Fus., 5/8/15, seconded to Tank Corps;

sevice in France; attained the rank of major;

was recipient of Military Cross, was twice mentioned in dispatches,

and his permanent address in the UK is given asThe Ryelands, Colney Hatch Lane, N.11.

vassila

Vassila - many thanks

Other info I have is: Seconded for duty to MGC on 27 May 16. Awarded MC for conspicuous gallantry in action. "He fought his Tank with great gallantry, putting enemy infantry to flight and silencing a machine gun. Later, he carried ammunition to the front line under heavy fire." (Citation is not tiotally accurate as he did not return to action that day) (LG supplement dated 14 Nov 1916, page 11051).

Promotions: T/Lt 1 Oct 1916; T/Capt 12 Apr 1917 (LG 26 Jul 17) Substantive Lt 1 July 1917; A/Maj 4 Apr 1918 whilst commanding a coy. Relinquished A/Maj on ceasing to command a Coy 10th Feb 1919.

But I do not yet have his date of birth or when he retired

On....On....

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy

Is there any mention of a Lieut Neville Harris Broadway in the document. He latterly served with the 2nd (Indian) Lancers and was killed on 1/12/1917?

Regards

LIT

• 2 months later...

Can I ask Andy, if he's still around, or anyone else who can do Inns of Court OTC look-ups, to have a look for my great-uncle, Percy Pool Harrison (born Derby 1894)?

He was a private with the Inns of Court OTC, and later a Captain with the 5th battalion, Sherwood Foresters, and was KIA in October 1917.

I'd particularly like to know his peacetime occupation, if it's registered.

I understand that the men of the Inns of Court OTC usually had something to do with the Inns of Court; as he lived in Derby to the best of my knowledge I assume he wouldn't have been a clerk there, but more probably a barrister.

Thanks,

Mary

LIT,

Sorry there is no mention of Neville Harris Broadway in the Inns of Court O.T.C.

Andy

Mary,

Percy Pool Harrison, joined the Corps on 12/7/15, served in 4 & 5 Companies, Regimental Number was 4747, Commissioned into the Notts & Derby Regiment on the 14/10/15. He served overseas in France and attained the rank of Captain.

Died of Wounds 20/10/17.

Andy

Thanks very much, Andy - that was very quick!

I see his peacetime occupation isn't mentioned - do you happen to know what the requirements were for joining the Inns of Court OTC?

The Dacorum Heritage Trust site is very vague - it just says "The Inns of Court OTC was originally part of the London Territorial Force and consisted mainly of men connected with the law courts."

--

Mary

• 1 year later...

Andy

Grateful for any deatils on Lt Arthur Edmund Arnold. Commissioned from Inns Of Court OTC into Liverpool Regt 20 Jan 1916

(AND YES, YOU GUESSED IT, HE BECAME A TANK COMMANDER)

sTEPHEN

Hi Stephen,

He served in 5 & 6 Companies, Number 5912, initially joined D Company 1/9/1915, attained the rank of Lance Corporal in the Corps. Commissioned into the Kings Liverpool Regiment, 20/1/1916, subsequently served with the Machine Gun Corps, Tank Corps. Attained the rank of Captain; Wounded twice; prisoner of war and recipient of the Military Cross.

Address given as: The Causeway, Deganwy Avenue, Llandudno.

Hope this helps you.

Andy

Andy - thank you indeed for such a fast response - what superb info as well

Stephen

Hi Jon,

No such name is mentioned.

Andy

Hi Ian,

Your man is there as follows:

KNIGHT, Gerald Featherstone

A/1334, 16/11/14; Devonshire Regiment 4/11/14, attached Gloucestershire Regiment, R.F.C., R.A.F., Captain. Prisoner of War, escaped. Awarded MC.

died 30/10/19.

According to the Preface this means that he joind the Corps in A Company, Regimental Number 1334 on 16/11/14 and was commissioned 2nd Lt 4/11/14 in the Devons.

Hope this helps

Andy

Time warp? Or retrospective date on commission. Very odd.

Grumpy,

re-checked due to your pointed out Time warp, there are two Gerald Knight and the dates have been mixed up (by moi), three and a half years ago.

Knight, Gerald Featherstone,

A/1334, 26/9/14; Devon Regiment 4/11/14 attd Gloucs R, R.F.C., R.A.F., the rest as original posting

Andy

Hi Andy,

Is there any mention of Oliver John Wade, Royal West Kent and then 2nd Lt in RFC?

Thanks

John

John,

WADE, Oliver John

Served in 3 Company, Number 3142, joined 29/3/15; Commissioned R.W. Kent Regiment 21/6/15, R.F.C.; Served Egypt and France.; 2nd Lieut.

Killed in Action 22/10/16

Andy

Hi Andy

Can you look for Lieut Henry William Barnard R.W.Kent Reg

I have a modern copy maybe the 1920 holds more information.

Regards Doug

Hi Doug,

BARNARD, Henry William

F Company, # 1877, Joined 16/10/14; Commissioned R.W. Kent Regiment, 16/11/14; Lieutenant.

13 King's Bench Walk, Temple, E.C.4.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Hi Andy

Does the # mark have any significance, thanks anyway

couple more items to add to the list.

Regards doug.

Doug, just his number.

Andy

Thanks again Andy will keep looking.

I am trying to get a photo very difficult at present.

Cheers Doug.

Is there any mention of the person below. Although CWGC lists him in the Inns of Court Officer Training Corps,

his headstone states he was in the RNVR.

Name: LOCKYER

Initials: S W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Inns of Court Officer Training Corps

Date of Death: 10/11/1918

Service No: 14207

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: YB. 42.

Cemetery: HEMEL HEMPSTEAD (HEATH LANE) CEMETERY

post-7183-1193583585.jpg