Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Inns of Court O.T.C. during the Great War

stiletto_33853

Just got hold of this original issue edited by Lt-Col F.H.L. Errington, listed in the following chapters

The Corps

Berkhamsted

1st Oct to 31st Dec 1914

1st Jan to 30th Sept 1915

1st Oct to 31st Dec 1915

1st Jan to 1st Sept 1916

1st Sept 1916 to 1st Oct 1917

1st Oct 1917 to 27th July 1919

The Depot

The Squadron

The Company

The Rank and File

The Billet

Conclusions

Records of Officers

Records of Rank and File

Corps Staff

Attached Staff

Hospitals,Nurses, Members of Selection Boards.

Anyone would like a look up, let me know.

Andy

Hi Ian,

Your man is there as follows:

KNIGHT, Gerald Featherstone

A/1334, 16/11/14; Devonshire Regiment 4/11/14, attached Gloucestershire Regiment, R.F.C., R.A.F., Captain. Prisoner of War, escaped. Awarded MC.

died 30/10/19.

According to the Preface this means that he joind the Corps in A Company, Regimental Number 1334 on 16/11/14 and was commissioned 2nd Lt 4/11/14 in the Devons.

Hope this helps

Andy

Is there any reference to the 13th or New 5th Reserce Cavalry or to the 14th or 20th Hussars?

Thanks

Patrick,

There are over 13000 entries, all shown by name, i will keep my eye out for these for you. It would help if you had names as the regiments are written in small type and at 45 my eyes are not what they used to be.

Andy

I'd have to give you about 200 names so that's not much help to you. If you come across anyone that's fine ... if not we'll such is life! I know there's at least one whose name I have (can't recall off hand) but there may have been others.

Best wishes

Patrick

Ian,

Correction on your mans entry, he enlisted in the corps on 26/9/14. The 16/11/14 as stated in earlier entry was Gerald Robert Frank Knight.

So he enlisted 26/9/14 and was commissioned 2nd Lieut 4/11/14.

Sorry about that.

Andy

Patrick,

Contact me off forum and i will see what i can do when i have some spare time.

Andy

Ian,

Hope the information was of help or gave you some information that you did not have.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Can you please look up for me John Cooke who I believe was commissioned into the M.G.C. in 1916.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Hi Stu,

Details on your man are as follows:

Joined the Corps 22/11/15, Regimental Number 7725, served in 6 Company and attained the rank of Lance Corporal in the Corps. Went to number 14 Officer Cadet Battalion and on 24/10/16 was commissioned into the M.G.C. . He served Overseas in France and attained the rank of 2nd Lieut. His permament address in the Uk was 2 Lidyard Road, Upper Holloway, London, N.19.

Hope this helps you Stu.

Best Wishes

Andy

Stu,

You are welcome , glad the info was useful.

Andy

To the Person that contacted me off forum re a George Edward SALTER.

He is mentioned in this book with information as follows:

SALTER, Gerge Edward, Joined the Corps on 2/1/17, Regimental Number 10311, Served in 'B' Company. Attained the rank of Lance Corporal in the O.T.C. and was sent to 21st Officer Cadet Battalion on 5/5/17 and was commissioned into the Dorset Regiment on 28/8/17. He served in France and highest rank was 2nd Lieut.

His Permament UK address was 3 Empress Avenue, Woodford Green, Essex.

I hope that this information helps you.

Andy

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

LIT,

found a copy of the OTC during the Great War and Eric Bannerman is mentioned

"eric bannerman - 25/1/16, Cpl; No 14 O.C.B., 30/10/16; Arg. & Suth'd Highrs., 24/1/17; 2/Lieut. Killed in action 20/11/17 "

vassila

Any reference to Francis Ingle Sowter, who enlisted on 30th September 1915, and had reached the rank of Sergeant before being commissioned on 22nd November 1916 into the Buffs. This seems a long time to spend in the ranks.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

Francis Ingle Sowter, 30/9/15, Sgt.; No. 14 O.C.B., 28/8/16; E. Kent R., 22/11/16; F; 2/Lieut. Killed in action 9/8/17 (F apparently denotes France and includes Belgium)

vassila

Dave,

Francis Ingle Sowter, 30/9/15, Sgt.; No. 14 O.C.B., 28/8/16; E. Kent R., 22/11/16; F; 2/Lieut. Killed in action 9/8/17 (F apparently denotes France and includes Belgium)

vassila

post-7552-1146521259.jpg

Many thanks Vassila. Here he is, in the East Kents. I assume that he qualified for the Inns Of Court because his father was a solicitor.

Dave

Thank-you for the photograph. For unknown reasons it is nice to put a face to a list of names in the back of a book.

vassila

• 4 weeks later...

Re Harry Drader - commissioned 1915, later in the Tanks. Does the Record mention in which unit he intially served as a private soldier?

Thanx - Stephen