Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark Finneran

Starting the 08/15 thread with this. Please add any info related to this infamous MG.

Due to PHOTOBUCKET change in policy, many of my posts are gone.  I will begin to replace the MG08/15 imagery so please continue to add where necessary?

Mark

5970dbbde7c35_0815(2).jpg.2a9eea8cd15e062676c10502390f2aa4.jpg

I will slowly remove all the photobucket threads and replace with current imagery.

0815 (51).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Cant wait to see more!

Thanks for starting these threads....

TT

5a47cedbe1102_0815(15).jpg.4cf8269ec48e0a982999e4354827e217.jpg

0815 (4).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Nice views of well made German lines and well constructed MG posts.

5a47db195528a_DF(174).jpg.86df988f2bad34ec0ef4ce4b7dc5cff1.jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Does anyone know the chap who is attempting to identify the correct numbers of captured wpn's that were taken back to UK, USA, Canada, Australia, NZ etc after WWI?

VMT

imagvc10.jpg

i live in hope that one day i'll be able to find out more Mrk about my 08/15 captured by the RSF!

matt

great pics by the way...

This is a b and w image of my baby. DWM made in 1918. Numbered 1355. Featured in the book Devils Paintbrush.

Has AA sights fitted. Water jacket retains original paint but unsure if 1920s or 30s repaint.

Original steam hose port. Came with drum mag.

I suspect it may have been retained by germany post WW1 and reissued to troops in the second war?

TT

post-15846-027575500 1293815101.jpg

TT superb photo. Do you have the spider web AA sight for her?

Mark

Alas no web! I have a 250 round belt dated 1917 with steel fittings and a relic water can but nothing else.

TT

TT - pse send me detailed photo of AA Sight 'receiving' socket ontop of the water jacket?

VMT

Mark

• 9 months later...

great view of the tubular bipod (which I am looking for!!)  these were also used on the T Gewehr rifle.

eqptmg (12).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

• 1 month later...

I am selling my 1917 dated mg 08/15, if anybody is interested

This is a b and w image of my baby. DWM made in 1918. Numbered 1355. Featured in the book Devils Paintbrush.

Has AA sights fitted. Water jacket retains original paint but unsure if 1920s or 30s repaint.

Original steam hose port. Came with drum mag.

I suspect it may have been retained by germany post WW1 and reissued to troops in the second war?

TT

• 5 weeks later...

view of the ersatz bipod

0815 (25).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

The gun team!

0815 (26).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Will soon be in possession of a commercial 1/6 production of this weapon. I'll post some pics and see how close they got. One question Mark, was it common for the water jackets painted OD?

Gosh Alex that is a question. I have seen now I guess several hundred 08/15s over the past 5 years and even with museum examples included, 'common' colours are hard to identify. If you were to ask what was the most common state I would say unpainted ie just the blued appearance. However painted examples have been anything from camouflage to almost 'desert' like. Similarly the numerous shades of OD and 'apple' observed means that individuals were able to paint their own kit reinforcing the idea they came to the front line from the depots/factories unpainted. So in terms of restoration or paint matching no one can criticise you for selecting any WWI paint scheme, however if you want to be safe then unpainted is as original for WWI use as any other 'colour'.

For one of my sled restoration projects I sent some original paint (lead based) (on a bolt) to UKs 'paint matching' labotory where it was chemically analysed, then exactly reproduced but using modern paints. So for that sled it was able to be returned to its last original paint scheme - expensive but at least for that piece no one could dispute its colour. Since then I have aged it in order to replicate its condition, along with several applications of gun oil which also discolours paint.

Not much help - sorry!!!!

Mark

Will soon be in possession of a commercial 1/6 production of this weapon. I'll post some pics and see how close they got. One question Mark, was it common for the water jackets painted OD?

Not a problem at all. I was curious because I have seen some original examples painted this way. However I was uncertain if it was more commonplace to paint them postwar.

In any case, this photo of a smaller scale model was what originally cued my interest (aesthetically speaking). And this is the rest of the diorama

mg_08-15_1_1.jpg

Alex,

The colour you have chosen for your model is very close to the original paint colour on my MG 08/15, a 1918 manufactured example.

Regards

TT

Here are some snaps of the my recently purchased model. It was actually intended for the WWII market, packaged with a German soldat of the 1940 Invasion with anti-aircraft tripod. However, it came with the correct parts to be used easily for a WWI setting.

WWI in the 1/6 model world is poorly represented by commercial endeavors. Much like everything else culturally and media wise. This may change though with the interest in films to dabble with WWI for its rather 'steampunk' like aesthetic.

DSC02612.jpg

DSC02606.jpg

DSC02605.jpg

DSC05321.jpg[/img]

Nice day so dusted off the girls for some sunshine. I am still keen to find out if anyone knows of any British records on captured war trophy pieces? The Canadians were sensible enough to make records and make copies of their records so they can be traced - but ours?

Happy Christmas.

Mark

Found this in the local newspaper. I know the machine gun mentioned captured 28-June-1918, for many years it was on exhibiton at Blackburn Museum, with a label on it stating it had been casptuerd by the Accrington Pals, it was then returned to Fulwood some 20 years ago, when I opened it up to examine it none of the serial numbers matched the list provided by Lt/Col Rickman.

I stripped it down for deactivation, but when I found out where it was going to on display, I refuse to have any thing further to do with it, as it was not the gun in Rickmans list. The original Machine gun was for many years on display at Oak Hill Museum until it closed in the 1940's. and the collection dispersed or destroyed.

Retlaw

post-47020-0-72052700-1325018379.jpg

• 1 month later...

Alex what an incredible model - I cannot fault it!

Retlaw thanks for this. Your story is sadly quite common and of cse the numbers of 'booty' brought back is partly to blame as there was just so much. I will add a photo later, Mark

Not often seen armoured car - more research required.

0815 (27).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

• 4 weeks later...

In this thread you will see quite a few captured trophies threads. This deserves a topic in itself about numbers brought home, registers, destinations including those bring backs by the US, CAN, AUS and NZ etc.

dwmimages (13).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

As above.

dwmimages (16).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran