Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark Finneran

Great view of the ammo belt. Two 250 rd pattern belts encountered for the MG08.  3 spacers or 5 spacers, various manufacturers.

DF (29).jpg

Mark,

Excellent photographs - thanks for all your posts.  Here are a couple more from my collection.  The one of the belt loader (Gurtfuller 16) I may have posted somewhere before but it is, I think, quite rare to see a photo of one in use.

DSC03906.JPG

DSC03908.JPG

Michael great. Thanks for posting. You are right, considering how much time was spent on belt filling, in a relatively safe environment, you would have thought more photos of the 'team' would be taken.   This was sent to me by a French collector.

DF (391).jpg

MG08/15 disregard this is for the belt loader topic!

eqptmg (46).jpg

Hello!

Here is my example for a Gurtfüller (Top left)

Inf.Rgt. 83 (MG 08-15).jpg

Inf.Rgt. 83 (MG 08-15, Gurtfüller).jpg

Edited by The Prussian

DF (30).jpg

Thanks Prussian for the image. Here are some nice 'MG emplacements' images.

Edited by Mark Finneran

Very nice photos! Thanks for sharing.

Another question. Does anyone have photos of Dreyse MGs?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark,

Excellent photos - thanks very much for sharing. 

I attach a couple more from my collection.  In case it is of interest, the first card was written on 17.03.17 and the second on 30.06.18.

Whilst posting I noticed in one of your posts that you have what I consider to be a rare version of the ZF12 sight.  I, too, have one and I wonder whether you have any information relating to these?  I attach a couple of photos in case they are of interest.  From the marking my example seems to be dated August 1918.

Regards,

Michael.    

DSC03983.JPG

DSC03989.JPG

DSC03995.JPG

DSC03997.JPG

Michael great images and yes a scarce sight. Nice markings and of course let me know when you are selling ;)

Please forgive my intrusion; however, images Mark & Michael posted illustrating the MG wagen reminded me of a study I had done decades ago.   I am a sketcher ( not quite an artist ) and have a habit of trying to pencil many things relative to military science.5a888de69385d_MG08Wagen072.thumb.jpg.02894acd3e4e1ad0c6b76a541120eb6e.jpg

Edited by 28juni14

Mr Muller superb drawings. Hopefully this adds to your amazing contribution.

DF (28).jpg

DF (178).jpg

123.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

5a9aaa6f95b55_DF(35).jpg.7b77ba16ba11b1f1a1cfa7e1a6188875.jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2016 at 18:52, Mark Finneran said:

Strange image - alleged dead Frenchman at the bottom, but the 08 has its blank firing attachment fixed!  and the two infanteers are clearly not the gun crew. Great image though of the chest plate on the sled indicating first pattern of the 08 sled schlitten.

early (4).jpg

The helmet is a picklehaube, not an Adrian: the "point" is visible.  Is the BFA not fitted and would that not indicate an exercise, perhaps pre-war?  (wooden bullets?) 

Edited by 2ndCMR

On 1/8/2018 at 11:56, Michael Haselgrove said:

DSC03908.JPG

The adaption of a captured Russian Maxim carriage?  Or is has the gun been converted to 7.92x57mm?  The addition of the second shield would certainly add considerable protection to the gunner.   The mounting is unusual: it appears to be for AA fire, but cannot traverse as was usual in the AA "post" mounting.  There is obviously room in the trench for such a mounting if it was wanted; was this perhaps set up to provide plunging fire into the opposing trenches or behind some natural obstacle?

Edited by 2ndCMR

On 12/23/2010 at 22:07, Mark Finneran said:

After understanding how to get rid of old posts (sorry moderator) here is the MG08 thread re-energized. Hoping to learn more about theMG08. The MG08/15 thread will also start.

Many of the images will show pieces for discussion. Now the next hurdle is to replace all the PHOTOBUCKET images.  PHOTOBUCKET  have changed their policy so all MG08 imagery will be replaced.

DF (2).jpg

That mounting is presumably a war-time expedient designed to allow easier mounting on a trench parapet or in a "pillbox", while allowing much wider traverse than the usual carriage?

The man at the breach end of the pull-through is ably demonstrating how "cord-wear" to barrels occurred during cleaning!

2CMR thanks for posting.  Difficult to date the Blank Firing Attachment/'dead' Frenchman image Number 117. The sled mount with chest grill can be seen in use during WWI but at least the image is pre-introduction of the steel helmet. Good spot on the helmet on the ground!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...