Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark Finneran

There is some excellent period imagery of captured material. Although many show the 'captured trophy' as seen in the MG08/15 thread.

dwmimages (31).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

5 hours ago, Mark Finneran said:

arm_zps1d9e6faf.jpg

I think there is a trench armour thread on GWM but could not find it? Any ideas?

I typed "German Body Armour" into search and found it as top topic returned.

Regards

TT

Captured or damaged MG08

dwmimages (33).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

More AA

aa (5).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Anti Aircraft set ups.

aa (3).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Anti Aircraft configurations as expected are many. Unit armourer examples, service issue but all very imaginative!!  This one shows the standard trench mount set up.

aa (2).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

MG08

DF (14).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran
MG08

• 2 months later...

Nice image of a standard MG08 gun crew.  The 'unusual' badge has caused comment before so if anyone is aware what it is please say. We know it is not a Minenwerfer qual/istr badge.

DF (13).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

5982c4d2372f4_DF(8).jpg.f9fccdb97e21d7855eb324941a992d96.jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran
MG08

• 2 months later...

I just stumbled on the site while looking for some information on MG08 Indirect Sight Directors.  I'm sure some here would appreciate seeing my 1914 Spandau MG08.  She's fully function and legally registered.  I have her mounted on a reproduction Polish handmade sled.  This setup works just fine.

SN150076.JPGSN150072.JPGSN150073.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Dan nice items. What info are you looking for on indirect fire sights? I can possibly help with some imagery and manual info.

Mark

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 22:09, Mark Finneran said:

Dan nice items. What info are you looking for on indirect fire sights? I can possibly help with some imagery and manual info.

Mark

I have one that appears to have Turkish writing on it and was wondering about it.  Dolf Goldsmith is a personal friend and I showed it to him.  He has also never seen another like it.  If you, or anyone else, is interested in seeing it, I will gladly post some pictures.

Edited by mg34_dan

Apologies for PHOTOBUCKET imagery due to a change in policy.  These will be systematically replaced. Thanks for your patience.

Mark

5970ddc36997a_DF(7).jpg.d895cf16965dfd758b1007da2ac88f44.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I will slowly replace the MG08 photobucket imagery that is no longer visible. Here are some of the relic/dug up deactivated 08's with some accessories. Some were purchased incomplete or in very poor condition so after locating missing pieces they have been 're-built'.  Understandably some collectors say leave ''as is'' but had they not been re-built, rust arrested and then painted with preservative paint then they would be lost forever. 

More details to follow but the beauty of this image, for those interested in detail, it shows three 'generations' of sled mounts  across the chest rail of the drag fixings.

DSC00355.JPG

DSC00357.JPG

MG08 now brought up to date with removal of photoshop imagery. 

Good side view of the legs raised and ZF12 in use.

DF (11).jpg

One of the best images I have seen of the MG08 team along with their MG horse carriage set up. Good view of the early MG ammo boxes.

DF (28).jpg

More views of one of the relics, but showing the water jacket armoured casing. I continue to look for a better condition example but they are hard to find. Period imagery confirms that its use in defensive positions was 50/50. As an area weapon its use does not do much to hinder the traverse, but it is heavy, and all good soldiers generally dispense with things that are heavy!!  As with the many types of outer shields or the inner shield. The essential item always seems to be the front armoured plate for the front of the water jacket, as shown here too.

It is obvious however that as the primary use of the MG08 was interlocking fire in defence, the chances of side on damage were greater so in well prepared defensive positions this item comes into its own. 

DSC00421.JPG

DSC00422.JPG

Michael excellent photo and thanks for contributing. Wish I had one of those carts!!! Just think how many were taken into French and Belgian 'farm service' after the war!!!