Edited by Mark Finneran

MG01

early (13).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

MG01

early (39).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Mark,

Do you have any images or information on the MG09 and its tripod? I am particularly keen to get Beaten Zone/Cone of Fire range information.

Cheers,

Hendo

• 4 months later...

Hendo short answer is sorry I do not. I suspect this lighter version with different caliber cannot be significantly different but I will double check my manuals. Are there any Romanian collectors out there?

Mark

• 3 months later...

MG01

early (52).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

• 1 year later...

Nice image of the entfernungsmesser 14 - the range finder.

early (3).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Also my whole MG08/15 thread has gone. If it is easier both whole threads could be removed and I will start again??

Mark

I enjoyed these threads and sad images / info gone. Would be good to resurrect.

What a magnificent set up,are there any markings on the water can?

Barney yes some of the water cans and other bits show MGK unit markings. Painted ammo boxes fetch a premium but one has to watch out for fakes.

I enjoyed these threads and sad images / info gone. Would be good to resurrect.

TT - in the process of re-juvenation! Thanks for interest but we should remember you are a 'Master' source of expertise. :thumbsup:

Strange image - alleged dead Frenchman at the bottom, but the 08 has its blank firing attachment fixed!  and the two infanteers are clearly not the gun crew. Great image though of the chest plate on the sled indicating first pattern of the 08 sled schlitten.

early (4).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Another image of the untouched chest grill,  as other imagery shows unit cutting of this item.

early (14).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Nice images, thanks. Certainly not a master of info as you suggest.

FYI there were a few MG 08s at Stoneleigh last Sunday. Some with top cover markings obliterated, some on Turkish tripods and one in true MG08 configuration on its sled. £17000. Would love it but who will pay that when Europe could effectively ban ownership in the Summer?

TT

early front chest grill

early (26).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

More on the front chest grill as the first pattern.

early (33).jpg

Edited by Mark Finneran

Hi Mark!

Do you know, which arm-patch we see in #41, 1st photo?

One of my relics showing the early chest grill.

DSC00528.JPG

Edited by Mark Finneran

another view of the ribbed chest.

DSC00563.JPG

Edited by Mark Finneran

Speaking of experts I would love to know when the soft cap 'went out of service'. This is reported as a WWI image, yet the range plate on the left MG sled looks like the inter-war version!!!! Or the normal range plate is covered by something. So any other indicators that this is or is not WWI??!!

Can't say for certain on longevity of the soft cap, but all those guys have a single cockade, where the relevant German State one should be, and none appear to have the upper national Reich cockade. I could understand it the lower State cockade was not visible, this often being covered (in WW1) by a khaki band - but no sign of the upper national Reich cockade?

Could this be post November 1918, a group of soldiers in one of the self-declared state units pre- or early Weimar? My knowledge of the 1918-1920 period is limited, but weren't there - in addition to the better-known 'Spartacist' and the like groups in Berlin etc., some short-lived 'independent' communes, with their own forces?

Trajan

... The unit markings can be seen on the topcover: 35 R. MG; 1; III; 1. ...

It does not seem that this question has been answered, or have I missed it - if so, well, the boys are messing around and so my attention span to GWF right now is like that of a gnat...

Ostensibly, this belonged to the Füsilier-Regiment Prinz Heinrich von Preußen (Brandenburgisches) Nr.35. I am not an expert on the organisation of the German army, but as I understand it then when initially introduced, each infantry regiment had three MGK, each with six Maxim M1908, and so my guess would be 1st MGK, 3rd MG?

Maybe completely wrong, but it might get a correction if necessary!

I don't do guns, but I have to admit, that's a nice looking and clearly rare piece to have!

Trajan

Maschinengewehr badges, private hunting knives, armour .... super informative photo. ...

Indeed! But the 'hunting knife' worn by the chappies on the right is actually a fixable 'Grabendolch', or trench knife, and in this particular case its a Demag one, classified by Carter as an 'Ersatz Bayonet 1'. The chappie with this also has a 'sharpshooters' lanyard and a EK 2 ribbon.

Trajan

Trajan superb input and thanks for taking the trouble to review. The WWI variant v post war MG schlitten is interesting and your comments on the cap very enlightening. Thanks.

Mark

As mentioned earlier the ribbed chest was often cut down by the users. Period imagery shows this 'alteration' although it would not have done much to reduce weight.

DSC01405.JPG

Edited by Mark Finneran