Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salvation Army Captain - Missing, April 1918

Jim_Grundy

In July 1919 an odd story of how a Hucknall Salvation Army captain had been missing for six months between April and October 1918 was published. The precise reasons for Albert Riley's disappearance from his wife and family were not stated and the account reproduced below raises more questions than it provides answers. Anyone ever come across anything remotely similar?

"LOST IN LONDON

"Strange Experience of Local Salvation Army Captain

"Unexpected £50 Notes

"The old saying that truth is stranger than fiction is borne out in the case of Capt. Albert Riley, who resides with his mother, Mrs. Fisher, at 78 Annesley Road, Hucknall. To many of our readers this gentleman will be well-known and admired for his religious zeal, which qualified him for the Salvation Army some years ago.

"When the war broke out, he proceeded to France for the purpose of hut work amongst the soldiers, who found him in a real friend, including even some "boys" from his own town.

"During his furloughs he visited his native town of Hucknall and when he was returning overseas on April 24, 1918, he mysteriously disappeared. Whether he had reached his destination in France or even crossed London was a perfect mystery.

"It was not until six months afterwards that he returned to his home at Hucknall to the surprise of all, being four days after the burial of his father. But greater still was the surprise to find that he could give no account of his life for the past half-year, except that he had been hit on the head, had been cared for by someone, and had been taken out in a motor car. However, sewn in the lining of his trousers was his bank-book, together with a £50 note.

"He was placed under the care of Dr. Coates, of Hucknall, for several weeks, and as he improved he was able to make visits to relatives and afterwards to take up light employment, on which he is now engaged, though still living with his mother at 78 Annesley Road, Hucknall. Yet, he was unable to recall anything concerning that six months seclusion except what has already been mentioned, nor to give any explanation for the £50 sewn to the lining of his trousers.

"The matter has not been talked about lest the story should be regarded as an invetion, but a letter has now arrived at Hucknall which indicates that Capt. A. Riley must have passed through an awful experience. Here is a copy of the letter:-

"East Sheen

"June 27, 1919

"Mrs. Riley.

"Madam,

"re. A. Riley

"Find herewith note for £50, which I am sending as a continued acknowledgement of my obligation to your son, A. Riley.

"I leave for the United States of American in a few days, and wish to say again that I will still show my practical interest in your son, seeing that I alone am responsible for his position.

"I might say I would have done differently had I known what to do for the best; however, I hope that time will bring about the anticipated restoration to health and duty.

"You will hear from me again,

"I remain,

"Yours faithfully,

HERBERT AUSTIN HESKETH"

"The conclusion to be drawn from the above message and contents is that Capt. Riley met with some mishap whilst crossing London on April 24, 1918, whilst on his way to resume hut duties. Evidently the signatory to the above letter was responsible for the accident, which led to concussion and loss of memory. Thus he kept him practically from the world, had him nursed and attended to – perhaps he is a physician himself – till he was able to take him out in a motor which is the only thing Capt. Riley remembers, after the accident.

"In due course he is despatched to his home at Hucknall, amply provided with money, which has now been supplemented with a further £50 with promise of more to follow. Whoever the gentleman is is a mystery, for East Sheen may be only the name of a house, and though the post mark on the registered letter is "London, W.C.," no further evidence of identity is adduced, nor is that probably seeing that he was on the point of leaving for the United States.

"However, it is patent that the sender of the money regards himself as responsible for the accident which befel Capt. Riley, and no doubt he now feels the burden on his conscience for the suspense he caused his mother, wife, relatives, and friends, by keeping him in seclusion for six months.

"Some persons have been uncharitable enough to impugn the character of Capt. Riley by saying be had left his wife to go with "another woman," but after reading the above surely they will feel penitent and regret they should have been the medium of circulating such a statement" (‘Hucknall Dispatch’, 3rd July 1919).

If Riley was concussed following an accident, how likely is it that he would have no memory of where he'd been since it happened? If there had been an accident, why wasn't the man sent to hospital? Why was his family not informed? And just how many people could afford to hand over £50 in 1918?

One of the oddest tales I've ever read.

A fascinating tale. Someone obviously did feel bad about the damage they did to the good Captain as the £100 they provided is worth about £3,300 in today's money.

Amnesia from a blow on the head is not uncommon. Possibly Riley was knocked down by a car whose driver/owner was afraid to report the accident (drunk, car 'borrowed' without permission, being used in criminal activities, driver on the run [deserter?] etc etc.) If Riley had amnesia the driver (presumably Hesketh) would be in a quandary as he couldn't get him home as he wouldn't know where that was but dared not report the incident to the authorities. He would also be worried that Riley might remember enough to locate him. From the letter it sounds as if he was doing a bunk after the war so felt safe. Hesketh of course might well be a false name and going to America a red herring. Who ever Hesketh was it would seem that he wasn't short of a bob or two. If as was suggested he was a doctor then there were a few who made considerable money providing discreet (and illegal) abortion services to the well off using private clinics as a front. Its pure speculation but that could well provide an answer as such a doctor would not wish to draw attention to himself but would have the facilities to keep and look after an amnesiac patient in secret.