Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14796 Pte Fred Armstrong 6th East Yorkshire (pioneers)

Hunton

Does anyone have the Battalion diaries ( or any information) for the period the Battalion served onthe Somme in 1916and also in Ancre;Messines and the Third Battle of Ypres in 1917. I am researching the life ( and Death) of pte Fred Armstrong 14796 who was in the 6th before being transferred to 1st East Yorkshires in Jan 1918 and being killed on 25 4 1918 around Wytschaete ( I think )He had served in the 6th in Gallipoli so by late 1916 and 1917 he was much travelled.

Id be very grateful for any help

I hope this may small piece of minutae history of the 6th East Yorks may be of some small interest to you.

Published in the East Kent Gazette of 06/10/1917:

BOOKS & GAMES WANTED IN FRANCE

To the Editor of the Gazette France 27/9/1917

Dear Sir,

May I crave a small space on your paper for the insertion of this letter? I have been asked by my O.C., first, to assist in the formation of a small library by collecting books and magazines from anyone who has finished with them; second, to undertake the care of sports material. It is hoped by means of the library and games, the long winter evenings may be passed a little more pleasantly, and by means of sports the few days the Company is at rest camp, may be spent profitably after the hard and dangerous work not far from the Front Line of trenches the shelling of that part containing practically no cover, being only to common. Knowing the generosity of those at home, I thought it would be nice to try and augment the poor supply of reading matter here by appealing to your readers to assist in this good work. Any spare books, magazines, games etc., will be gratefully received and acknowledged. My address is No. 40491 Pioneer H.F. Greenhalgh, 5th Platoon, "B" Company, 6th East Yorkshire (Pioneers), BEF, France. If a parcel be large it would be well to send the same by rail c/o Military Forwarding Officer, Southampton Dock, Southampton.

Thanking you in anticipation I am Sir, yours faithfully,

Harold F. Greenhalgh.

(We feel sure that the appeal of the popular Headmaster of the Council Schools, who is "doing his bit" for his country in France, will meet with a ready response from Rainham folk Ed.)

Greenhalgh is a bit of a hero of mine. He was commissioned into the Army Ordnance Corps and killed whilst Railhead Ordnance Officer at Poperinghe, 9th April 1918.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hi

Someone with more knowledge than I will probably come along shortly but you may like to try to get a copy of 'The East Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War' by Everard Wyrall. Published by the Naval & Military Press.ISBN 1-84342-211-5.

It contains quite a bit about where the 6th were on the Somme in 1916, including their famous attack (remember they were Pioneers) on Mouquet Farm on 26th September 1916. Any idea what Company he was in? They were also at Messines and Ypres in 1917 and this is covered. It also covers Gallipoli.

There is a lot about the events of 25th April 1918 when the 1st Btn East Yorks was surrounded and effectively wiped out in the second battle of Mount Kemmel (as you say, they were at Wytschaete).

I have a relative who served in the 6th and was killed on the Somme on 21st September 1916. I wonder if they knew each other?

Hope this is useful

Paul

Ferry,

- Attested 06 November 1914

- Suvla Bay 03 September 1915 Posted from 9th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

– Posted 6th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment 21 September 1915

- Medal Index Card entered 2b Balkans 7 October 1915

– Posted 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment 12 January 1918

– Reported missing 25 April 1918

– Documents Available

1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

12th January 1918

Weather mild and dull. Occasional salvoes with 105mm. 150mm howitzers fired during the day and night. Relieved by the 10th KOYLI, and go into EPHEY in support. Relief complete 7.30pm. Snow during night. 2nd Lt Stockham to FA Trench Fever. 2nd Lt Hales to MGC (England) Lt Topping for transfer to Indian Army.

EPHEY

13th January 1918

Weather, bright morning visibility good. Stand to from 6am to 9am. All ranks worked during these hours improving defences, assisted by the RE's. Hostile aircraft active. At 10.15am two E.A. Were brought down by one of our machines and later another was brought down in the neighbourhood of FINS RIDGE. At 3.45pm today a German Triplane with a Black body attacked one of our observation balloons near HEUDECOURT bringing it down in flames. This plane was subsequently shot down by rifle and machine gun fire and fell near MALASSISE FARM, the aeroplane being intact and the occupant captured (2nd Lt). Type Fokker Triplane with 110 horse-power engine. Joined 2nd Lt Valentine, 2nd Lt Atherton.

14th January 1918

Frost. Snowing slightly from 7 to 8.30am. Weather cleared during day. Very slight shelling of village. Work from 6am to 9am on trenches to defend EPHEY. Joined 2 OR.

21st April 1918

WYTSCHAETE sheet 28 SW2

Rest, clean and re-organized. Vicinity of camp shelled at intervals. Nucleus joined Battalion fresh one formed and sent away under Capt Oughtred and 2nd Lt Smith

22nd April 1918

Rest and reorganization.

23rd April 1918

Rest as on 21st and 22nd. The Battalion left camp about 8.30am and relieved the 9th KOYLI in the right sub-sector (WYTSCHAETE)

24th April 1918

Foggy morning. Quiet day. Lt W Constant and 2nd Lt B Boyes joined the Battalion nucleus.

IN THE LINE

25th April 1918

About 2.30am the enemy opened a heavy bombardment with gas shells which continued for about 11/2 hours. Intermittent shelling continued until about 5am and then a very heavy barrage was put down on all the valleys and possible assembly positions in rear of front line defences. The enemy then attacked under a smoke barrage and was greatly assisted by fog. After 2.30am all communications with Battalion HQ from Coys ceased, telephone lines broken down and repeated attempts by runners thro' failed although touch was maintained with the front line Coys of the left and right battalions for two hours after.

No news whatsoever came from the front Coys but about 7am small parties of Germans wandered over the BLACK COT RIDGE and into the East side of GRAN BOIS. Battalion HQ was then organized into two parties, each about 12 strong, and a stand was made around Battalion HQ for nearly two hours and the enemy sniped as he appeared over the ridge. By 8.30am the enemy had established Machine Gun posts on the ridge and was advancing in strength (in snake formation) down the ravines from PETIT BOIS and BOIS WYTSCHAETE. The party around Battalion HQ was by this time obliged to withdraw and during the withdrawal under heavy Machine Gun fire the CO – Major JH Coles was killed. Only three officers and 30 OR succeeded in getting thro' the withdrawal. (No definite news reached the Battalion HQ but from information gathered from one or two men who succeeded in getting away from the front line Coys, the enemy succeeded in enveloping the front line Coys under the cover of his smoke barrage) 2nd Lt SW Howard, A/Adjt, 2nd Lt AD Robinson OC D Coy and the MO Capt Raine got thro' the barrage. The two former reported at nucleus camp DEVONSHIRE CAMP OUDERDOM. During the afternoon. Casualties, Killed Major JH Coles, 11OR. Wounded:- 27OR. Missing:- Capts Robinson, EB Ball FL Sleath and 2nd Lt GW Bolton, Coverdale, GW Wisbey, WE Witley, A Tatlow, HT Stephens, TG Mayhew, P Wallis, R Yates, SA Farmer, EM Hardy and FA Toogood.

I have the 6th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment Diary what dates are you after.

Regards Charles

Jonathan

Nice piece, many thanks.

Harold F Greenhalgh Formerly Royal Engineers - Transferred 6th East Yorkshire Regiment 10 September 1917 – Transferred back to Royal Engineers 14 November 1917

Regards Charles

Very many thanks for this item.It all adds to the story Im trying to uncover. As yet I dont know which platoon or unit Fred was in ( In the 6th and 1st East Yorkshires) Im sure Ill find someone who knows.

regards

Graham

I hope this may small piece of minutae history of the 6th East Yorks may be of some small interest to you.

Published in the East Kent Gazette of 06/10/1917:

BOOKS & GAMES WANTED IN FRANCE

To the Editor of the Gazette – France 27/9/1917

Dear Sir,

May I crave a small space on your paper for the insertion of this letter? I have been asked by my O.C., first, to assist in the formation of a small library by collecting books and magazines from anyone who has finished with them; second, to undertake the care of sports material. It is hoped by means of the library and games, the long winter evenings may be passed a little more pleasantly, and by means of sports the few days the Company is at rest camp, may be spent profitably after the hard and dangerous work not far from the Front Line of trenches – the shelling of that part containing practically no cover, being only to common. Knowing the generosity of those at home, I thought it would be nice to try and augment the poor supply of reading matter here by appealing to your readers to assist in this good work. Any spare books, magazines, games etc., will be gratefully received and acknowledged. My address is No. 40491 Pioneer H.F. Greenhalgh, 5th Platoon, "B" Company, 6th East Yorkshire (Pioneers), BEF, France. If a parcel be large it would be well to send the same by rail c/o Military Forwarding Officer, Southampton Dock, Southampton.

Thanking you in anticipation – I am Sir, yours faithfully,

Harold F. Greenhalgh.

(We feel sure that the appeal of the popular Headmaster of the Council Schools, who is "doing his bit" for his country in France, will meet with a ready response from Rainham folk – Ed.)

Greenhalgh is a bit of a hero of mine. He was commissioned into the Army Ordnance Corps and killed whilst Railhead Ordnance Officer at Poperinghe, 9th April 1918.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Many thanks for your help.

Im aware of the book and am looking to get it. The Mouquet farm action is interesting- I will research. Sadly I dont know which company or unit Fred was in.

regards

Graham

Hi

Someone with more knowledge than I will probably come along shortly but you may like to try to get a copy of 'The East Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War' by Everard Wyrall. Published by the Naval & Military Press.ISBN 1-84342-211-5.

It contains quite a bit about where the 6th were on the Somme in 1916, including their famous attack (remember they were Pioneers) on Mouquet Farm on 26th September 1916. Any idea what Company he was in? They were also at Messines and Ypres in 1917 and this is covered. It also covers Gallipoli.

There is a lot about the events of 25th April 1918 when the 1st Btn East Yorks was surrounded and effectively wiped out in the second battle of Mount Kemmel (as you say, they were at Wytschaete).

I have a relative who served in the 6th and was killed on the Somme on 21st September 1916. I wonder if they knew each other?

Hope this is useful

Paul

Dear Charles

Many thanks for taking the time to respond in so much detail which is very helpful.

I know the actions in which 11th Brigade was involved in 1916 and 1917 ( Fred was posted to the 1st Battalion E Yorks in Jan 1918) so I am trying to place the 6th Pioneers at any of the Somme or 3rd Ypres actions in 1916 and 1917. Any of the Battalion diaries for these actions would be very welcome.

I dont know which company Fred was in so I cant narrow the request down further.

Im fairly sure what happened at Wytschaete in April 1918 although without the Company/Unit information I cant be sure how Fred was killed.

Best X Mas wishes- hope you can help re the diaries

Regards

Graham

Ferry,

- Attested 06 November 1914

- Suvla Bay 03 September 1915 Posted from 9th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

– Posted 6th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment 21 September 1915

- Medal Index Card entered 2b Balkans 7 October 1915

– Posted 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment 12 January 1918

– Reported missing 25 April 1918

– Documents Available

1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

12th January 1918

Weather mild and dull. Occasional salvoes with 105mm. 150mm howitzers fired during the day and night. Relieved by the 10th KOYLI, and go into EPHEY in support. Relief complete 7.30pm. Snow during night. 2nd Lt Stockham to FA Trench Fever. 2nd Lt Hales to MGC (England) Lt Topping for transfer to Indian Army.

EPHEY

13th January 1918

Weather, bright morning visibility good. Stand to from 6am to 9am. All ranks worked during these hours improving defences, assisted by the RE's. Hostile aircraft active. At 10.15am two E.A. Were brought down by one of our machines and later another was brought down in the neighbourhood of FINS RIDGE. At 3.45pm today a German Triplane with a Black body attacked one of our observation balloons near HEUDECOURT bringing it down in flames. This plane was subsequently shot down by rifle and machine gun fire and fell near MALASSISE FARM, the aeroplane being intact and the occupant captured (2nd Lt). Type Fokker Triplane with 110 horse-power engine. Joined 2nd Lt Valentine, 2nd Lt Atherton.

14th January 1918

Frost. Snowing slightly from 7 to 8.30am. Weather cleared during day. Very slight shelling of village. Work from 6am to 9am on trenches to defend EPHEY. Joined 2 OR.

21st April 1918

WYTSCHAETE sheet 28 SW2

Rest, clean and re-organized. Vicinity of camp shelled at intervals. Nucleus joined Battalion fresh one formed and sent away under Capt Oughtred and 2nd Lt Smith

22nd April 1918

Rest and reorganization.

23rd April 1918

Rest as on 21st and 22nd. The Battalion left camp about 8.30am and relieved the 9th KOYLI in the right sub-sector (WYTSCHAETE)

24th April 1918

Foggy morning. Quiet day. Lt W Constant and 2nd Lt B Boyes joined the Battalion nucleus.

IN THE LINE

25th April 1918

About 2.30am the enemy opened a heavy bombardment with gas shells which continued for about 11/2 hours. Intermittent shelling continued until about 5am and then a very heavy barrage was put down on all the valleys and possible assembly positions in rear of front line defences. The enemy then attacked under a smoke barrage and was greatly assisted by fog. After 2.30am all communications with Battalion HQ from Coys ceased, telephone lines broken down and repeated attempts by runners thro' failed although touch was maintained with the front line Coys of the left and right battalions for two hours after.

No news whatsoever came from the front Coys but about 7am small parties of Germans wandered over the BLACK COT RIDGE and into the East side of GRAN BOIS. Battalion HQ was then organized into two parties, each about 12 strong, and a stand was made around Battalion HQ for nearly two hours and the enemy sniped as he appeared over the ridge. By 8.30am the enemy had established Machine Gun posts on the ridge and was advancing in strength (in snake formation) down the ravines from PETIT BOIS and BOIS WYTSCHAETE. The party around Battalion HQ was by this time obliged to withdraw and during the withdrawal under heavy Machine Gun fire the CO – Major JH Coles was killed. Only three officers and 30 OR succeeded in getting thro' the withdrawal. (No definite news reached the Battalion HQ but from information gathered from one or two men who succeeded in getting away from the front line Coys, the enemy succeeded in enveloping the front line Coys under the cover of his smoke barrage) 2nd Lt SW Howard, A/Adjt, 2nd Lt AD Robinson OC D Coy and the MO Capt Raine got thro' the barrage. The two former reported at nucleus camp DEVONSHIRE CAMP OUDERDOM. During the afternoon. Casualties, Killed Major JH Coles, 11OR. Wounded:- 27OR. Missing:- Capts Robinson, EB Ball FL Sleath and 2nd Lt GW Bolton, Coverdale, GW Wisbey, WE Witley, A Tatlow, HT Stephens, TG Mayhew, P Wallis, R Yates, SA Farmer, EM Hardy and FA Toogood.

I have the 6th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment Diary what dates are you after.

Regards Charles

Jonathan

Nice piece, many thanks.

Harold F Greenhalgh Formerly Royal Engineers - Transferred 6th East Yorkshire Regiment 10 September 1917 – Transferred back to Royal Engineers 14 November 1917

Regards Charles

Hi,

He was in A Coy with the 6th Battalion but nothing to indicate which company he was with when in the 1st Battalion. Any family letters or postcards to give an indication.

Regards Charles

Charles

Once again many thanks - this really helps as I can now look for info re A Coy.We have only 2 pencilled notes ; one enclosing some beads for his daughter ( my mother in law). They do not say where they were sent from unfortunately.Have you any idea why soldiers ( Fred in particular) would.

- Have enlisted in the East Yorkshires in the first place since given his home I would have thought the DLI was the obvious choice.I know he attested in Washington Co Durham - did the EY regt recruit as far afield ? were thwy under strength when the DLI was up to strength ?

- Have transferred from the 6th Pioneers to the 1st EY in 1918. After all the 6th seem to have been active not only as a Pioneer Battalion but as a fighting Battalion. Was he the only one who transferred.?

- It is only hearsay from my mother in law ( now decd.) but when Fred came home on leave he was in a bad way - covered in lice etc. Although I have a copy of his service file it does not record any details of any leave he had during service.It may seem a small point but the family are anxious to know if he saw much of his newly born son James who died age 3 of rickets and bronchial pneumonia in August 1916 when the 6th appear to have been on the Somme.

Our family really do appreciate theinfo you have kindly supplied.

regards

Graham

Hi,

He was in A Coy with the 6th Battalion but nothing to indicate which company he was with when in the 1st Battalion. Any family letters or postcards to give an indication.

Regards Charles

Hi Paul

I now know from Charles that Fred was in A Coy. in the 6th.

Regards

Graham

Hi

Hope this is useful

Paul

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Regards Charles

[

Hi Charles

Dont know if you remember this thread but Ive recently discovered that Fred Armstrong was in A Coy 1EYR.I got the diary and by patiently reading it found that there is mention on 24 Jan 1918 of a Private Armstrong of A Coy winning a riflecompetition at Saulincourt.By eliminating the other Armstrongs who were in 1EYR via CWGC ( because sadly they were all dead by Jan 1918) I conclude the Armstrong who won the competition was Fred.With the helpof others on this forum I can trace the exact movements up to 24 April when he was killed.

I'm now trying to move back to his service in ACoy 6 EYR Pioneers. I have quite a bit on the service in Gallipoli but not much on the service after the Batallion landed at Marseillesin 1916.You kindly offered some help with the Diary of 6EYR Pioneers and ideally if you could let me have 1916 (Marseilles) to Jan 1918 that would be very helpful as my knowledge of the batallion movements is very sketchy..

I have posted a request for help elsewhere on the forum but as yet havent had any responses.

Hope you can help.

Regards

Graham ( AKA Ferry)quote]

• spof changed the title to 14796 Pte Fred Armstrong 6th East Yorkshire (pioneers)