Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army Officers

trooper

Hi Pals

Many of the officers allocated to New Army battalions of K1 Divisions were serving members of the Indian Army who were home on furlough when war was declared. Can anyone tell me where the records of these officers are held?

Thanks

Trooper

Guest Pete Wood

Does anyone know their way around the Indian Army (and Office) archives, which is in the British Library, isn't it?? I understand that searching the records is a bit of a nightmare....??

If anyone is clued up on the system, please could you email (or PM) me, as I'd like to ascertain if any memorial plaque records/correspondence survives.

Thanks

Pete

• 1 year later...

Trooper,

Basically if you are looking for an Indian Army regular officers' papers who served before & during WW1 but left the IA before about 1930 - forget it. They are not present. This is based on my expereinces of the BL/IOL.

Cheers

Matthew B.

Trooper,

I have two family members who were both Indian Army officers and both served in the 1st war their service records were both intact and available from the Indian Army Register held in the Indian and Colonial collection at 187 Blackfriars road SE1. The list for those serving in the Egyptian Expeditiary Force are good

Although the details are scant at least it gives you pointers.

All the best .

Rob

Rob,

Are you refering to the L/Mil/ 14 series or something else - if so I would be greatful where to find this at the BL/IOL.

I though all the IOL papers were moved into British Library. There is a seperate ledger for IARO officers but this is just a few lines I find.

Regards,

Matthew B.

Hi Mathew,

It was my brother who did all the leg work on this one, as we have a Great Uncle 11th Sikhs who died in Crater Aden in 1926, we got his full board of enquiry details from The Brittish Library so good detail there even down to the time and nature of his death (Officers mess roof collapse at 1:30 whilst drinking in the ante room)!

The other relative a Major late of the 6th Punjabs, and he was detailed in the Indian Army Register at Blackfriars Road.

I Will ask my brother and see if I can give you more pointers, he copied an A5 page headed "Services of British Officers of the Indian Army and it had on the left side SupDL.

Will get back.

Cheers,

Rob