Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private George Gaskin Hubert

brownegaz

I understand that GGrandfather George Gaskin Hubert 40375 served in the Scottish Rifles and saw heavy action in the Somme Offensive in and around Lesboeufs, and was involved in taking Dew Drop and Boritska Trenches around the end of October and early November 1916,there were many casualties, I understand that George received shrapnel wounds at this time, is there any way of checking casualty lists to see if he is mentioned as being wounded.

Thanks for any replies

Gary

Thanks for your reply.

How do I narrow down the search of the SWB roll, I have been on the national archive site but seem to be getting no where fast.

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

THis explains about the SWB-

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/swb.htm

You need to find his card -

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/medals.htm

Here is his Medal Index Card on NA-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=3150739&queryType=1&resultcount=1

I would say in the absence of another card that his SWB details are written on it, but note the Medal Roll and SWB roll are not online, you have to go to NA or get someone to look them up

regards

Robert

Hi Gary,

Have some more details regards George Gaskin Hubert's service: a likely range for his original 9th Royal Scots number and his date of enlistment. Also more detailed information about his landing in France.

Some dates of enlistment:

2902 - 17 Dec 1914

2963 - 4 Jan 1915

3034 - 11 Jan 1915

3040 - 13 Jan 1915 (some docs state 18 Jan, but I think 13th more likely)

So, enlisted in early Jan 1915, likely between 5-12th (the details on his SWB entry will give a definitive date).

9th R.S. - 1st S.R.

2882 - 40361

2951 - 40369

2956 - 40371

???? - 40375

3040 - 40378

3041 - 40379

3091 - 40383

So, a regt.no. between 2956 and 3040.

I have searched the wounded lists on The Scotsman Archive using both regimental number and surname, but no success with either. I did find a Scottish Rifles' wounded list published the same day (4 Dec 1916) as a killed in action list for those who died on 29 Oct 1916, but your ggrandfather wasn't named. One man who was had a similar number to your ggrandfather: Private 40378, Robert Bryce (prev. 3040, 9th Royal Scots, see above dates etc). Luckily, his service file has survived and provides some useful dates that add detail to George Gaskin Hubert's overseas service.

Disembarked in France: 31 Aug 1916

Infantry Base Depot: transferred to 5th Scottish Rifles on 11 Sep 1916 and subsequently posted to the 1st Battalion in the field (probably arrived within a few days after 11 Sep)

If you get a copy of the war diary for the 1st Scottish Rifles, then it'll be worth checking for a mention of a large reinforcement draft around 12-20 Sep 1916.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks once again for your information Stuart

I would assume that he would have landed at LeHavre or Etaples when he arrived in France.I am trying to arrange for a researcher to look into GGrandfather Hubert and another relative in the National Archives for me, it is a little difficult this close to Christmas but Im in no hurry, can you recommend a researcher who would be able to carry out this work for me.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Gary

• 8 years later...

Only nine years late on this... George Gaskin Hubert was 2997 9th Royal Scots. As above I have 4-11 Jan 1915 for attestation.