Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn Honourable Artillery company

gerd.deboeck

Hi,

I'm looking for information on the 2nd Bn HAC. I've been researching a member of this battalion: private Arthur Holland De Boeck who was killed at Reutel on October 9th 1917. I've been in contact with the archives at the HAC and they have provided me with some information on Arthur and a transcript of the war diary. I also bought all publications on this battalion that I could find: "Over the top" by Arthur Lambert, "The Honourable Artillery Company 1914-1919" by Major G. Goold Walker D.S.O., M.C. and "The seventh division 1914-1918" by C. T. Atkinson. What more do I want? I'm convinced that there must be photographs, personal accounts etc from other members of the battalion and I'm hoping to collect them. I'm also replicating a corporal's uniform from 1917, but I'm not sure what type of webbing they were using (already bought the P07 webbing, but in "Over the top" Arthur Lambert keeps talking about "cleaning the leather" and don't think he is speaking about his boots. I've also been looking for relatives of Arthur but the only De Boeck in the white pages was of the widow of a cousin of Arthur. Her only son, who lives in Australia promised to send me some information but I haven't heard from him since June. Any help is welcome.

Thanks,

Gerd

Hello and welcome to the GWF, here is his details from SDGW

Honourable Artillery Company

( Infantry)

De Boeck

Arthur Private , Army number 10652

Born - Edmonton, Enlisted - Mill Hill, Residence - Lower Edmonton

Killed in Action - 09/10/1917 in France & Flanders

I hope this helps

Best reguards

Ian

His MiC shows a medal entitlement for just the usual two. There is no date of entry into theatre, so he cannot have entered France or Belgium before the end of 1915.

You are also, however, in luck, since his service records have survived, and 12 pages are on Ancestry.

PM me if you'd like me to download the records and get them emailed to you.

Bruce

Thanks Ian and Bruce,

One of the first things I did was to have a look at Ancestry and downloaded his records (his brother James records also survived the fire). He was admitted on March 16 1917 and joined 3rd (training) Bn on March 30th. On July 10th he went overseas as part of draft 28 together with 14 other ranks. Embarked Southampton 11.7.17, arrived No. 8 IBD & disembarked, 12.7.17. Joined 2nd Battalion B coy on the first of august near Mory, France. The battalion had just seen severe fighting at Bullecourt. The attack on Reutel was the first time he went over the top.

His father was a tailor (employer) and church warden at St-Peter Edmonton. His brother was in the RFA and survived the war.

I did already find out a lot about the person of Arthur but still have some difficulties in forming a pictures of Arthur the soldier.

Again thanks for the offer of help.

Gerd

Gerd,

Although pre-dating the involvement of the man you are researching, 2nd Battalion HAC's involvement at Second Bullecourt is covered in some detail in Paul Kendall's book "Bullecourt 1917- Breaching the Hindenburg Line". There are biographical details of HAC men included.

Scott

Paul, thanks for the picture, it answers a couple of my questions. They are both wearing P08 and P14 webbing. So I'm OK with my replica P08. I am missing the guards grenade above the chevrons, will have to look on the net for supplier.

Scott, great tip, will put in on my X-mass wish list. Did know of the book, not that there were bio's in it. Hoping for some pictures to. Justine of the HAC archives also recommended it

It's great being on the forum, finally no raised eyes when I talk about WW1 :D

Gerd

• 11 months later...

Paul, thanks for the picture, it answers a couple of my questions. They are both wearing P08 and P14 webbing. So I'm OK with my replica P08. I am missing the guards grenade above the chevrons, will have to look on the net for supplier.

Scott, great tip, will put in on my X-mass wish list. Did know of the book, not that there were bio's in it. Hoping for some pictures to. Justine of the HAC archives also recommended it

It's great being on the forum, finally no raised eyes when I talk about WW1 :D

Gerd

Hi Gerd

I am researching the local, Buxton, War memorial and one of my guys - Pt. Arthur Gwilliam Brown - was k.i.a. on the 9 Oct. 1917.

I note from a post last year that you had acquired the War Diary and other info. about the HAC's action that day and was hoping you might be willing to let me have a copy.

Unfortunately, with 316 names to research I can't afford to buy all the books etc. I'd like, so have been relying on Forum members for much of the supporting material to give each soldier his own bibliography page.

I have PMd you with my email address

Many thanks

Graham

Graham,

Until Gerd gets back to you with details on this you may wish to have a look at the map which Roger posted (#4) here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148141

The objectives of the 2nd HAC that day were to “capture the village of Reutel and gain touch with the 5th Division about Juniper Cottage” (per the HAC history by Maj G Goold Walker DSO MC)

The history goes on (pages 323-325) to say “the whole of the objectives of the attack were secured.”

The casualties were Officers: 8 killed & 7 wounded, Other Ranks: 49 Killed, 189 wounded and 42 missing. There is also a note that “Almost all the 'missing' were afterwards reported killed.”

regards

Michael

MapHAC9Oct1917.jpg

Graham,

This map is from Goold Walker's history already mentioned above

(sorry about the scan quality, but my concern was not to damage the binding of my paper-back copy)

Nevertheless, when used with Roger's map linked to above, then it will give you some idea of the movement that day.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael

Many thanks for your input - it's much appreciated. The map does amplify (magnify??) the earlier map in Roger's post - which I had found, but you can see where the HAC fitted in the overall scheme of things.

According to SDGW database my man was one of 7 Officers and 89 other ranks of the Honourable Artillery Company killed that day with another 13 killed or died of wounds in the following week. :poppy:

Best wishes and thanks again

Graham

• 2 years later...
Guest Jackhandle

Arthur Holland de Boeck is my great uncle the brother of James Holland de Boeck. I am not sure but believe that they may have enlisted at the same time and was also Regiment. I do have photograph of him taken the day before he left for Europe.

If anyone has information on Arthur or James I would very much appreciate links to any online material.

David

(NDP Jackhandle)

• 5 years later...
On 18/12/2010 at 23:04, Paul Reed said:

Questi sono alcuni uomini del 2 ° HAC nel 1918.

5074475137_63dc24d1a5_z.jpg

Probably in Italy or, after the end of the conflict on November 4, 1918, in Austria.

On 17/12/2010 at 23:15, gerd.deboeck said:

Hi,

I'm looking for information on the 2nd Bn HAC. I've been researching a member of this battalion: private Arthur Holland De Boeck who was killed at Reutel on October 9th 1917. I've been in contact with the archives at the HAC and they have provided me with some information on Arthur and a transcript of the war diary. I also bought all publications on this battalion that I could find: "Over the top" by Arthur Lambert, "The Honourable Artillery Company 1914-1919" by Major G. Goold Walker D.S.O., M.C. and "The seventh division 1914-1918" by C. T. Atkinson. What more do I want? I'm convinced that there must be photographs, personal accounts etc from other members of the battalion and I'm hoping to collect them. I'm also replicating a corporal's uniform from 1917, but I'm not sure what type of webbing they were using (already bought the P07 webbing, but in "Over the top" Arthur Lambert keeps talking about "cleaning the leather" and don't think he is speaking about his boots. I've also been looking for relatives of Arthur but the only De Boeck in the white pages was of the widow of a cousin of Arthur. Her only son, who lives in Australia promised to send me some information but I haven't heard from him since June. Any help is welcome.

Thanks,

Gerd

https://www.grandeguerraphotoarchive.com/2nd-honourable-artillery-company.html

The HAC listings on FindMyPast shoudl be useful- if there is a card for him, then it will give date of embarkation overseas. Likewise, the mansucript regimental lists can be deciphered to give dates of protion, overseas,etc. The HAC Vellum Book will show at which date the brothers enlisted.