Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British War Medal & Victory Medal

mordac

Hi All:

I have a couple of questions for the forum's medal experts.

1. If a man enlisted late in the war and only served in Siberia with the CSEF, would the ribbon on his War Medal be the same as the one issued for service in France and Belgium?

2. Again, if a man enlisted late in the war and only served in Siberia with the CSEF, would he be entitled to the Victory Medal?

Thanks in advance.

Garth

Garth:

A man who served in Siberia with the CSEF would have both a Victory Medal and the BWM and the ribbon would be the same as the one issued for France and Belgium. His medal would be in impressed with his number, rank, name, and unit followed by "C.S.E.F." There is a published roll available for the CSEF. Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick:

Many thanks for your help. I'm researching a couple of men who enlisted in the CSEF after November 11, 1918. These men received their War Medal, but not the Victory Medal. Would that make any difference?

Garth

Garth

I have a pair to a member of the 260th Battalion the medals are named 2384230 E.E. Sexton C.S.E.F. He is like you mentioned had only served in Siberia I had a pair to the artillery who served in France and Siberia His medals were named to the C.F.A.

post-23-1087748426.jpg

Hi N.S.:

I've had a look at Embert Sexton's attestation papers and he signed on the dotted line on August 23, 1918, before the end of the war. Would he still have received the Victory Medal if he had attested on November 12, 1918?

Garth

Garth wrote:

Many thanks for your help. I'm researching a couple of men who enlisted in the CSEF after November 11, 1918. These men received their War Medal, but not the Victory Medal. Would that make any difference?

I am not an expert on the CSEF medal but as far as I know everyone in the CSEF received both the BWM and the Victory Medal and all were inscribed with the letters CSEF after the unit. You indicate that you are researching "a couple of men who enlisted in the CSEF after November 11, 1918." I was not aware that you could enlist directly into the CSEF, but rather that you enlisted in the CEF and then were posted to the CSEF. Whatever the case, if they only have a BWM then I would think that it was a good indication that they never went to Siberia (at least not within the theater of war.) I stand ready to be corrected by someone who knows more about this than I do. Regards. Dick Flory

Garth

Yes I have a Victory named to him both are named the same as I mentioned in the post. I have his complete service file if you need any other information. Below is a scan of his group.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1087750156.jpg

You indicate that you are researching "a couple of men who enlisted in the CSEF after November 11, 1918."  I was not aware that you could enlist directly into the CSEF, but rather that you enlisted in the CEF and then were posted to the CSEF.  Whatever the case, if they only have a BWM then I would think that it was a good indication that they never went to Siberia (at least not within the theater of war.)

Hi Dick:

There were several ways men joined the CESF. Some men had served in the CEF in Europe and then chose to go to Siberia. Others had served in Europe, were discharged or invalided out then rejoined to go to Siberia. Another group were men who were drafted and given the option to serve on the Western Front or Siberia. The final group were men who joined the 259th and 260th Battalions specifically to go to Siberia. There was a large recruiting drive across Canada for the two Rifle Battalions in late 1918 and early 1919. The two men in question were in the last group; both joining the CSEF post November 11, 1918 and both are listed on the embarkation roll.

Garth

Garth

I checked out the Victory Medal on the Veterans Affairs site. It says in the terms that the Victory was awarded to members of the British naval mission to Russia 1919-1920 and for mine clearance in the North Sea Nov.11 1918-nov. 30 1919. I would gather from this that your men should be entitled to the Victory. Does the service files show only the B.W.M. or are they medals you have.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

The Victory Medal was awarded to officers and men of the British, Dominion, Colonial and Indian Forces who actually served on the establishement of a unit in any operations that took place in Russia between midnight 4th/5th August, 1914 and midnight 1st/2nd July 1920, so if your two men were in Russia between those dates they should have received both the BWM and Victory Medal.

Regards. Dick Flory

N.S. and Dick:

Thanks for the follow up posts; I appreciate the additional information. You've both confirmed what I suspected regarding the Victory Medal. Thanks again.

Garth