Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PRO Hospital files

bmac

Has anyone looked at the General, Stationary and Red Cross Hospital files at the PRO (range WO95/4074 to about 4750). If so, what sort of information do they contain?

I've looked at General and Stationary Hospitals - they include general info about the doings of the unit, and normally the number of admissions. If I remember correctly they often include types of admission (GSW, gas etc) but not always and no names are given. However, having said that I remember in one diary (can't remember if it was a CCS or higher) a few officers who had died there of wounds were mentioned by names.

The surviving A&D Books are held in MH106, but they are few in number - sadly.

Not actually a hospital, but I looked a while ago at No. 3 Casualty Clearing Station, during 1915 while it was at Bailleul. The WO95 records were to do with the day to day running of the unit, while the MH106 records were the admission and discharge registers. No. 3 CCS has the best of the tiny percentage of A & D registers which remain [but great if you find your man!], and contain name, rank, number, battalion, date of admission, reason for admission, and outcome - normally the number of an ambulance train for onward transport to hospital. A few returned direct to their unit if they had been to the dentist or similar.

Regards - Sue

Guest kimbrocklehurst

Sue

When you were checking out No. 3 CCS in MH106, did you happen to

notice any references to No. 1 CCS? My grandfather was there with pneumonia in 1917.

Many thanks

Kim

Kim

Unfortunately only a small 'sample' percentage were kept. No. 3 CCS is by far the most complete, and I don't think that No. 1 figures at all in those that remain. Looking at 'Procat' it seems to be No. 3, No. 11, No.31 that come out best, with a smaller sample of No.34 No.82 and No.39. It may be there are others that don't show up very easily on-line. I remember thinking when I was looking through the registers how well written they were, and meticulously kept, presumably in quite difficult circumstances - pity that more don't survive.

Regards - Sue