Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

McCarthy -took over as IRA informant from Reynolds

corisande

I have reached the conclusion that the man mentioned most above was not the informant, but I do have information on him

If Terrymac would like to put the full name of his grandfather and where and when he was born, can can certainly confirm if it is one of the McCarthy in the ADRIC

My grandfather's army number was 61443. He was given a field commission on 24 May 1917 and the medal record given in the thread was his. He did get pushed out to Nigeria as a prison officer in the twenties. I think he was born in Bandon Ireland c1893. His name Charles (Joseph) McCarthy. The bracket were there as he adopted his confirmation name of Joseph after his commission to add a little grandeur I think. I have some interesting information regarding his Nigerian period as he seems to have been set up and persecuted by the authorities there. I think because of the lack of info from army records is due to his being part of the burnt records. Any further info would be helpful. He was certainly full of contradictions he named his son (my father) Terence after Terence MacSwiney.

I have sent Terrymac a PM on my information

The other option is that next of kin can get service records - casts about £30 plus a Death Cert, plus a wait of around a year

Information on MOD site click on how to get service records