Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 photos

PhilB

The argument that I had heard for these scenes being "faked" is that, if you look carefully, none of the men are wearing either a small or large pack (less likely) on their backs - you can clearly see the cross the exposed straps make on their backs.

Dear All,

I remember reading Malins biography a few years ago, and I seem to recall that the footage was faked because it was far too dangerous and expensive (the equipment was very heavy and it was hard to move quickly - pretty dangerous in a front line trench!) The Hawthorn Crater, though, was real - Malins hoped he would catch it at the right moment, and he did.

Cynthia

Doughboy,

Don't ever trust anything you see in print until it is confirmed by at least one or preferably more sources. In my experience most authors/publishers try to get it right but sometimes either their research lets them down on occasion or they see the value in a little 'poetic licence' here and there.

Pat,

Obviously your 'ooRoo' (I've always been taught to spell it 'Hooroo') rates alongside my 'larrikin'. Perhaps we should append an Aussie slang dictionary to the forum so everyone can understand us!!....on second thoughts that may not be such a good idea.

If you've got a spare brass razoo us and our cobbers could pack the esky and head out beyond the black stump. We could set up the barbie, have a snag and a sanger and knock back a stubbie or two until we're full as googs. Lets hope none of the bludgers ends up looking like a drongo because he can't hack it and chunders!

Tim L.

To get back to the subject itself (eeriest ww1 photo, anyone remember?) I`d like to add the The Hawthorn Mine filmed by Malins (as it was just mentioned). I think the whole clip is scary as hell. Thinking of being even few hundred yards away from such sight. Unfortunately/fortunately the sound wasn`t obviously recorded. I remember reading that Malins himself was afraid the film would run out before he could save the notorious moment. Good thing it didn`t...

On the subject of eerie photos, personally the one i have attached is for me highly eeire. It was taken in 1923 at Knightsbridge Cemetery and when the owner showed it to me he said look carefully into the flowers. I was a bit sceptical but on the original you can see the faces of about 20 or so young men (or at least we could) looking back at the camera. Its not so clear on the scan but you can still make out a couple. I am sure they are actually the way the petals fall, but i found it very eerie.

post-8-1088694542.jpg

On the subject of eerie photos, personally the one i have attached is for me highly eeire. It was taken in 1923 at Knightsbridge Cemetery and when the owner showed it to me he said look carefully into the flowers. I was a bit sceptical but on the original you can see the faces of about 20 or so young men (or at least we could) looking back at the camera. Its not so clear on the scan but you can still make out a couple. I am sure they are actually the way the petals fall, but i found it very eerie.

Well I can't see the first face but saw the 2nd one straight away before I realised that you'd marked it. Can clearly see another chap with a beard to the left of the paper label - btm left of picture.

Kate

Try this one!! It jumped right out at me...scary.

See if you can find it. (Hint - I've blown it up to twice it's size)

Tim L.

post-8-1088697630.jpg

ooRoo

And theres me thinking it meant *%&^ stirring antipodean git :D

Andy oooRoooToooo

ooRoo

And theres me thinking it meant *%&^ stirring antipodean git :D

Andy oooRoooToooo

Any relation to Dirty Little Rat Faced Git? :rolleyes:

ooRoo

Paul

Any relation to Dirty Little Rat Faced Git?

2nd cousin, twice removed

Guest AmericanDoughboy
Try this one!! It jumped right out at me...scary.

See if you can find it. (Hint - I've blown it up to twice it's size)

Tim L.

That is indeed quite eerie. I have a photograph, although it has nothing to relate to the First World War, of a large portion of my ancestors sitting at a dinner table and in the left hand corner is a highly visible face that shouldn't be there. It is truly strange and yet terrifying.

-Doughboy

Hi all,

I'm following this thread because of the posting about the Somme movie.

Is this the one were you see the mine at Beaumont-Hamel going up ?

I have a short documentary of the Belgian TV station, made about 12 years ago,

where I see a fraction of this reel.

If yes, any leads were I can get this film/movie/tape/DVD ?

Thanks

MG

Guest dinkidi
Dear All,

I remember reading Malins biography a few years ago, and I seem to recall that the footage was faked because it was far too dangerous and expensive (the equipment was very heavy and it was hard to move quickly - pretty dangerous in a front line trench!)  The Hawthorn Crater, though, was real - Malins hoped he would catch it at the right moment, and he did.

Cynthia

Hyacinth!

There would be little dispute that front line photography would be difficult & dangerous. But!

Given the actual length of the "jumping - off lines, the diversity of country they traversed, the abundance of protected vantage points behind our lines, the weather conditions throughout that day, etc etc. The explosion at Hawthorn Crater was filmed, and the RAF had experience of photo- recces, it seems a bit strange that the only purported film of any of the thousands of men involved would show very few men and .00001 percent of the casualties.

Apparently the Author of First Day on the Somme is known to forum members. perhaps his version could be posted, and we WILL know whether that clip was faked.

Just to support claims that Capt Hurley's pictures took a bit of getting, 3 AWM shots are appended.

OOrOO

Apollo

1 his assistant Joyce on a pleasant country stroll

post-8-1088730693.jpg

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Moving away from the horrors and bloodshed of the trenches and combat overall, I would like to share a photograph of joy and relief. This photograph is a colorized still from the breathtaking British television series "World War 1 in Colour." It shows American infantrymen celebrating the Armistice of November 11th, 1918.

post-8-1088740164.gif

Guest dinkidi
Any relation to Dirty Little Rat Faced Git? :rolleyes:

ooRoo

Paul

Heard tell that it is a distant relative of use annus horribilus. AKA The Blue Hoon of Kentucky

OOrOO

John Revolta

Colonel: Who called the Cook a Dirty Little Rat Faced Git?

Troops: Who called the Dirty Little Rat Faced Git a Cook?

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Father Duffy of the American "Fighting 69th" shows serious signs of personal exhaustion and strain after four battles in the frontline - 1918

post-8-1088879691.jpg

Guest MaryFM

Hi

I recently came across a rather spooky photograph in the book Eye deep in hell by John Ellis on page 108 (sorry I don't have a scanner) it shows a trench wall with the arm and hand of a soldier it is the only thing visible of him he looks as though he was buried standing up.

regards

Mary

Cameras changed our preception of warfare - to be sure. From Crimea to today ... the window into hell makes (hopefully) people think ... But, I am often reminded that some of Brady's best pictures - like the dead rebel sharpshooter from Devil's Den were posed - not that it changes much ... but remember the photo is not always a candid window into hell.

Royal Mail will issue a "Crimea" set of stamps later this year, October or November I think.

Not sure, if "Crimea" is the correct title, but iirc the stamps are reproductions of 1850s photos of Crimean VC winners.

• 8 months later...

a horse hanging from a tree

http://bac.d.free.fr/guerre_14_18/page_011.htm

a dead soldier

http://bac.d.free.fr/guerre_14_18/page_001.htm

this last picture is in a book of pictures from world war I

Miquel, Pierre, 1930-

14-18 : mille images inédites / Pierre Miquel.

but the picture was cropped to only keep the right upper

corner. Even books on war don't have the guts to show war.

this last picture is in a book of pictures from world war I

Miquel, Pierre, 1930-

14-18 : mille images inédites / Pierre Miquel.

Hi anne001,

Are all 4 Albums from Miquel, Pierre, 1930-.

This pictures tells enough about war without showing real horror.

before

after

Thanks for the link to this interesting collection covering the french lines.

To select an album click here

Liam

Guest jumberly
Probably one of my most favorable footage of the World War was when infantry of the 29th Division runs across No Man's Land of the First Day of the Somme and one man slowly falls into the British wire.

<_< I’m no expert by any means, but what always worried my about the authenticity of this footage is the kit. I have always read that the troops involved on the first day of the Somme had to carry huge loads of extra kit – wire, entrenching tools, shiny metal triangles on their backs etc. None of these soldiers have this load, they seem to only be carrying their personal kit and webbing? Any help on this?

Dave

The Photograph of the Uniformed Dead German @ Beaumont Hamel,whose Skull appears to be grinning @ those looking @ him.

[used by the BBC in Opening Of The Great War Series]

The picture that gets me from the opening scene of the The Great War series is as the scene pans around from the dead German it comes to someone sitting in a trench, always wonder what he is thinking at that precise moment

Forum

This subject threw some memories up for me, one of a book that I purchased many years ago. The book is called 'Covanents with Death', it has a black cover and a rather ghoulish skeleton clasping, what I think is a scroll. The pages were for me as a boy rather shocking, ghostly, somewhat bizzare, and as a kid fascinating. The book was printed by one of the daily papers as an anti war piece in 1936, and has some very eerie shots and very cruel views.

Unfortunately, I have no scanner, but would, if anyone is interested be willing to send it on to anyone who would like to do the scanning for me. I realise it is not everyones cup of tea, and some of the things I don't find distasteful, may offend others. Some of the shots already seen here in this thread. :o

Anyone up for it?

The other memory was of my time in the army as a young soldier of 19 during the Falkland's saga, photography been a hobby taken from my Father. Again fascinated and horrified at what I was seeing, I took some photos of my own. I suppose, and the only excuse for taking such awful photos, was that I could not believe what I was seeing and being part of. It had a profound affect on me, and still does today. :unsure:

Back to the book, anyone wanna borrow is welcome.

Lee in Lincs