Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 photos

PhilB

I'm with Andrew Hesketh. Sheer horror in those eyes.

Des

Yes, bk, but remember, the Battle of the Menin Road stretched from Langemarck down to Klein Zillebeke. He could have been 6 miles from the Menin Road itself, couldn`t he? Phil B

offcourse...

Marina,

Sorry, I'm so used to the word that I occasionally forget that people who aren't from Australia may not have a clue what I'm talking about.

A 'Larrikin' is a sort of layback, easygoing, type of person who's always up for a practical joke and a bit of a laugh. The kind of person that everyone likes because of their constant upbeat type attitude. (and they always seem to keep everyone else's spirits up in the process).

Now, after I've explained that, I'm interested to see if who you imagine the larrikin's to be is the same as what I think. (Hint - I see two of them).

Out of interest, why not try matching all the different types of person I listed above and we'll compare.

I did forget to mention in my first post that I can also see a brooding, moody type of person who's always serious and laughs very little. the 'labourer' and the 'family man'. Three more types to identify!!

Good luck and let me know what you think.

Tim L.

OK, Tim - here are my guesses:

Two teachers - chap at the very front (also a family man? maybe a business man?)) and the one in the third row with his hand on his hip

Larrikins (what a fabulous word!) the man in the centre with his hat tilted back ad the ciggie in his hand

the two men next to one another at the right hand side of the same row

(all three look mischievous!)

Ladies' man - the tall good looking one with the ciggie in his mouth and the towel round his neck behind the centre larrikin

Family man - older man at the left end of centre row with his hat tilted and also the one beside the centre.

labourer - unshaven man at right of front row; and dark tousled man at the front - both family men also

Broody man - same row, opposite end

also the the shirt sleeved one next to centre larrikin (this one could be a brooding poet maybe?)

Dope - 3rd from left in centre row

What do you say?

You know, the more closely I look at this picture, the more extraordianary it seems - they are all full of character, aren't they?

That was fun!

Marina

Guest dinkidi

Marina! How could you? Your "Dope" just happens to be Edward Kelly. 61st Bn AIF, my maternal grandfather.

Kristoff! A bit wierd that you nominate "thumbnail" 33, when 34 & 35 [my pic] are both taken at Birr Cross Roads on 20/9/17. One looks towards Ypres, the other away?

Simon! Do you know what unit he was with? The troop movements are very well documented.

Tim! Keep this up & everyone will understand orstralian! Don't wanna steal your thunder but you didn't mention that crater shot you show was slightly amended to be the signature shot for the ANZACS which gets a fair mention on this forum.

ooRoo

Pat

Guest dinkidi
He was also the photographer for this well-known favorite (which is not altered)

G'day agen Tim!

Not Altered?

How come your lot are going in the opposite direction to the official lot at Thumbnail 18.

An example of the "doctoring" that you mentioned to Kris is No 77, which also "depicts", the Battle of The Menin Rd

Re Shellshock. No 52 was at a dressing station. The digger wearing the sling "stares with wide unseeing eyes towards the camera, a classic case of shell shock"

G'day Duckman

Pompety is my No 1 all-time super hero!

The Hamel platoon is [again I think] etched into the Hamel Memorial. If searching for it on the AWM, the officer is Lt Downes.

Did you know that 'Voices from the Trenches' is based on letters & diaries of 3 brothers. The eldest was in 8th ALH.

ooRoo

Pat

Marina,

Here's my take on the photo (with a few extra's). We matched in a few places and you picked my two larrikins out.

There's no right or wrong but I find this a fascinating photo. The actual copy I have is much larger, sharper and clearer and this scan doesn't do it true justice.

Pat,

How does Edward Kelly of the 61st get into a photo of the 46th?

I to have seen this photo used in mirror images. I'm not sure which direction is correct either but this is how it was shown in my book of Hurley photographs so I assume it's the correct way. But at least the photo hasn't been 'doctored' in any other sense, i.e. additions, deletions etc.

post-8-1087978946.jpg

A 'Larrikin' is a sort of layback, easygoing, type of person who's always up for a practical joke and a bit of a laugh.  The kind of person that everyone likes because of their constant upbeat type attitude.  (and they always seem to keep everyone else's spirits up in the process).

A "larrikin" in NZ is a bit different,

more disapproving- a child who is "a bit of a brat" often grows up to be a larrikin, who does things that sober sedate people disapprove of, things verging on criminal.

I think Aussies admire this free-spirited type of person more than NZers do

Guest dinkidi

Tim.

Marina probably woke up I was pulling her leg with Grandpa Ned Kelly! The 61st was also supposed to be mythical, but there probably was a 61st [they may not have got into the field.] S'pose that's being a liar, not a larrikin.

Have you looked through all Kristof's Thumbnails above? They're "official" AWM pics. So which of the crater shots is correct?. I have also seen it described as being troops from a certain [non-AIF] battalion. Have also noted a couple of other mirror-images.

ooRoo

Pat

My dictionary (from WW1 period) defines larrikin as "A rowdy youngster, a young hooligan". That`s the impression I got of the meaning when in Oz, though I did notice a tendency to glamorize olden day lawlessness into "just youthful high spirits". "Hoon" seemed to be a modern equivalent (In WA, anyway). In Liverpool, he`d be a "Scally".

There`s another photo that particularly impressed me, but I can`t recall where. It`s a head and shoulders shot of a young soldier, leaning back against something, helmet on head, facing right to left, looking slightly downwards and with a hopeless look in his eyes. Anyone know it? Phil B

Pat,

I did note the 'Edward Kelly' bit and couldn't recall a 61st but in my drowsy stupor (I'm on nightshift) just took it at face value and didn't manage to put two and two together. :wacko: How will I ever live down the embarassment!!

I'll check out the thumbnails when I get home from work.

Tim L.

Evening all.

He was up around St Julien,not far from the Vancouver Corner Memorial,on the 20.9.17,Phil.

Reckon i could walk it,Hooge to St Julien,in about an hour,or two(depending on how many bars there are),despite my age.

Well maybe 3 hours(loads of bars,no doubt).

The Battle of Menin Road Ridge,doesn't get much press,but it was one of the highlights of 3rd Ypres.

It was one of the best days of the whole campaign,and the weather was a great help,but,during the period of the battle,there were 21,000 casualties.

Great-grandad survived Menin Road Ridge,and the rest of 3rd Ypres,and was KIA in April 1918,near Villers-Bretonneux.

All the best.

Simon.

Pat,

How did I know you'd say that. As a matter of fact, I think Edward Kelly was the name of the character on the TV series Anzacs, who played the leader of the 'deserters'. From my experiences on another thread we shared - perhaps there's truth in what you said and you've inherited the family trait. :P

Live that one down!!

Tim L.

A Slightly "Comic" but spooky group of Russians with Gas Masks awaiting the Whistle for "Kick Off"

When I came across this picture I had to hold my breath and thought a lot about loss of humanity and brutality of wars....the translated title is "left back wounded by his comrades"...

post-8-1088118621.jpg

Here is one I always felt was tragic as well as eerie a German soldier after being wounded by a shell fragment. When I first saw this picture I wondered what kind of life he had after and how he survived such a injury.

N.S.Regt.

post-8-1088120556.jpg

From my experiences on another thread we shared - perhaps there's truth in what you said and you've inherited the family trait. :P

Live that one down!!

Tim L.

Has he gotcher, Pat? I liked it anyway!

Tim, can't agree about the ladies' man. That middle parting...

Pat - has Tim gotcher? I lkiked it anyway! :rolleyes:

Tim - you sure that's a ladies' man?

Marina

Marina,

I must admit my talents don't extend to knowing the likes of the fairer sex and I readily bow to your judgement.

Perhaps I should qualify my impression of this man. It's not necessarily that he is appealing to the ladies but he appears to have the character that 'thinks' he is.

I'm sure you know the type I mean.

Tim L.

P.S. Pat's gone very quiet. Perhaps he's having trouble spelling the word touche'.

Guest dinkidi
Has he gotcher, Pat? I liked it anyway!

G'day Marina!

I'ts a running battle, and I'm bound to lose sometimes. Glad you can see the lighter side!

Tim.

Don't start crowing yet. Remember "Time wounds all heels"

And just for the record, I would have been proud to call Ned "Grandpa".

ooRoo

Pat