Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1922-23 Gold Badge question

Nik7304

Hi all,

I was recently given a medal group which had belonged to the uncle of the husband of a friend of mine, John Dalziel, an officer in the Royal Garrison Artillery (RFA). He served in Salonika, losing his hearing from the shelling.

The group consisted, somewhat cryptically, of one Victory Medal which was in someone else's name, a Knight's Order of the Redeemer in Dalziel's name, a Greek Medal of Military Merit, a miniature group with the War Medal, Victory Medal, the Order of the Redeemer and the Military Merit Medal as well as his silver identity disc.

It also contained a brooch, made from gold, with a cypher and the motto "My Deeds Will Speak" and "1922-23" on it. I've dated it through the hallmarks to 1922-23. Has anyone come across this sort of brooch before? Does it have anything to do with the Salonika campaign?

I'm also wondering about the Knight of the Order of the Redeemer. Was this given to all officers or did they have to distinguish themselves somehow? The list in the London Gazette suggests it was given to nearly all officers.

Finally, is it possible to see army lists over personnel in Salonika? At the moment we don't have his service number (as the BWM and VM are missing).

Thanks for any help,

Nik