Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Biplane take-off technical details

Liz in Eastbourne

A little while ago I found a poem in Flight magazine's online archive, June 6 1918, written by Major Clement Rolfe Ingleby, whom I was researching because his family lived in a large house in Eastbourne in the 1880s and 90s, and he was born here in 1888. (EDIT: He served in the Navy, the Army and the RAF, so is an expensive man to research!)

It struck me as rather an exciting account of taking off in a biplane, and its tum-te-tum rhythm is not inappropriate for the theme, but even more striking are all the technical details. I had to look them up (not being at all well-informed in this subject) and when I showed it to a retired RAF pilot of a much later vintage he thought it would almost do as a mnemonic for what a pilot needed to do.

I'd be interested to know what people in this section of the forum think of it. Just in case anyone else reads it who doesn't know the terms, these were my notes, and if the experts would correct or add to these that would be very helpful:

Pitot tube: pressure measurement instrument used tomeasure fluid velocity determines airspeed of aircraft

Lift/drift ratio expresses efficiency of aeroplane

Dihedral, Stagger,Incidence,Turnbuckle - see F.W.Halliwell's article,
Rigging, The Erection and Trueing-up of Aeroplanes,
Flight magazine,
February 6 1919 ( I wanted to provide a link but had a problem opening this just now).

EDIT http://www.flightglo...919 - 0107.html

Anyway, the poem follows in a separate post. I have spaced the couplets out just for ease of reading on the screen.

Liz

From Flight magazine, June 6, 1918

"PER ARDUA AD ASTRA"

By Major Clement Ingleby, R.A.F.

When scarce the grey of an August dawn has lightened the black of night,

And the sharpest eyes must search the skies for a trace of a cloud snow-white.

I have donned my coat and taken my seat and fastened my safety belt

Whilst the whispering balm of a morning calm is the only movement felt,

I strap the belt loose round my waist and dream of flying as art,

And incline mine ear to the sound I hear from my 'bus before we start.

First the Pitot tube, with his mouth exposed to the gentle summer breeze,

Exclaims "Beware! For this morning air is so cold it makes me sneeze."

And the wires all cry simultaneously, "The tension is far too great,"

But the loops reply with the fretful sigh, "Don't worry, we'll elongate."

"The devil you will!" shout Dihedral, Stagger and Incidence,

Midst mystical drones and grumbling groans from the parts that have more sense.

Just then the sounds of these parts are drowned and melt away to a sob;

As in one act at the word "Contact" starts the mighty engine's throb.

Starts the throb of four times forty horse to a strain she can scarce abide,

For the wooden chocks her progress blocks, as I open the throttle wide,

Faster and faster the engine turns till the prop is just a blurr,

And protesting strains of the cambered planes are lost in that placid purr.

Then I throttle down till she just ticks o'er with a rhythmical swishing sound:

At a sign from me the machine is free and we taxi across the ground,

Now as a hound will strain the leash at the sight of a started hare,

So when the Lift shall vanquish Drift we rise into God's pure air

Then do the lift and drift wires scream to the turnbuckles fastened true:

"Release! Release! So bring us peace. A quarter a turn will do!"

But the buckles are locked too fast to speak or even to turn their eyes,

For my rigger's best stands a stiffish test – and I always supervise.

Then we climb to the groan of the engine thrust, while the Drift with glee shouts loud:

Like a vulture grim we hang on to the rim of a woolly-white fleecy cloud,

Then up through the bumpy, filmy mists like a startled bird we fly;

Till the sunshine bright on a sea of white in space meets the wond'ring eye:

Full six thousand feet, and still we climb; now and then is brought to view

Mother Earth below, 'neath this sparkling snow, wrapped in mists and shadows blue.

Now the hill tops squat laugh gay to the sun, but the valleys are yet in shroud –

Then a swift eclipse as the whole scene slips 'neath a lazy floating cloud:

'Neath a crimson, violet, blue, gold cloud of a velvety substance soft –

Ah! Who shall write of this wond'rous sight, e'en tho' 'tis witnessed oft?

Can words express to the motorist the feeling of altitude?

To a seething race that sense of space and its silent solitude?

Like a smiling bride the earth unveils herself to the ardent sun,

But far to the right is still black night with the new day not begun.

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne
Re-inserted spaces lost in forum update.

In 1913 Clement Ingleby was the owner of Sedgeford Hall Norfolk (he still owned it in 1922). The Ingleby Cup, a bowls trophy still played for, was named after him. He was a regular Flight correspondent after the war and also seems to have been involved in finding disabled soldiers work in the bookbinding trade.

He appears to have been acquainted with a certain Mr Kipling (who didn't make cakes). Interestingly RK wrote a similar piece about the different parts of a newly launched ship straining and complaining to each other until they achieve a common identity as THE SHIP. Possibly one inspired the other.

In 1913 Clement Ingleby was the owner of Sedgeford Hall Norfolk (he still owned it in 1922). The Ingleby Cup, a bowls trophy still played for, was named after him. He was a regular Flight correspondent after the war and also seems to have been involved in finding disabled soldiers work in the bookbinding trade.

He appears to have been acquainted with a certain Mr Kipling (who didn't make cakes). Interestingly RK wrote a similar piece about the different parts of a newly launched ship straining and complaining to each other until they achieve a common identity as THE SHIP. Possibly one inspired the other.

His father, then MP for King's Lynn, still owned Sedgeford Hall in 1913 and until his death in 1926 - that website is in error, not that it matters much since it was certainly Clement's family home. But it would take us way off topic to go into all this - I've done a lot of research on the family over the past two years.

Ingleby himself had a foot amputated at the end of the war, hence his interest in disabled servicemen.

You mean Kipling's short story The Ship that Found Herself? Yes - thanks for that thought, it is similar in idea, though in a different genre. That was written before Ingleby was born, I think, and he might well have been influenced by it.

Liz

Edited to remove irrelevancy in the first para.

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

An interesting find Liz, thanks for posting.

Thanks for saying that, Nigel - not many people do so it's much appreciated!

Liz

Very unusual and interesting; thanks Liz.

The description of the wires and turnbuckles straining is certainly a sensation that few modern pilots can identify with. Other than that, some very familiar sensations, though probably the word "drag" would be used rather than drift in that context.

Anyone want to guess what type he was flying? The only clue I can see is the reference a 160hp engine. Possibly a Armstrong Whitworth FK8, with the 160hp Beardmore?

Anyone want to guess what type he was flying? The only clue I can see is the reference a 160hp engine. Possibly a Armstrong Whitworth FK8, with the 160hp Beardmore?

An FE2b perhaps or even one of the many aircraft that used the 160hp Gnome Monosoupape. Does anyone know what squadrons Major Ingleby flew with?

Steve

An FE2b perhaps or even one of the many aircraft that used the 160hp Gnome Monosoupape.

Steve

But the pilot in the poem can see the prop blurring so not a pusher. And he increases the throttle so probably not a rotary.

[quote name='Starlight' timestamp='1291880854' post='1514954'

]...

Does anyone know what squadrons Major Ingleby flew with?

Steve.

I've finally been spurred to download his RAF record, AIR/76/249). I had last year got his records from his boyhood naval training, discharge and recall to the navy, then he was a POW in 1914, escaped early 1915, transferred to the army/RFC after aviation training in late 1916... but am researching rather a wide range of topics simultaneously and let him go for a bit.

I find the record hard to read and don't know if it's possible to post extracts for your perusal, but I think his flying career was very much shorter than I had supposed. He was in Alexandria, Egypt from March to June 1917 and 'injured in aero accident 17.6.17.' I assume it was after that accident that his foot was amputated, since he was in hospital in Egypt till late November 1917. He was on the home establishment in an administrative role after that.

Liz

I've finally been spurred to download his RAF record, AIR/76/249). I had last year got his records from his boyhood naval training, discharge and recall to the navy, then he was a POW in 1914, escaped early 1915, transferred to the army/RFC after aviation training in late 1916... but am researching rather a wide range of topics simultaneously and let him go for a bit.

I find the record hard to read and don't know if it's possible to post extracts for your perusal, but I think his flying career was very much shorter than I had supposed. He was in Alexandria, Egypt from March to June 1917 and 'injured in aero accident 17.6.17.' I assume it was after that accident that his foot was amputated, since he was in hospital in Egypt till late November 1917. He was on the home establishment in an administrative role after that.

Liz

Given this info a Martinsyde 102 (Elephant) long range fighter would seem the best bet - it was in service in Egypt at the time and had a 160 hp engine. Prior to that the RE7 sort of fits (some used for training and miscelaneous duties in the UK)

Given this info a Martinsyde 102 (Elephant) long range fighter would seem the best bet - it was in service in Egypt at the time and had a 160 hp engine. Prior to that the RE7 sort of fits (some used for training and miscelaneous duties in the UK)

I don't suppose this helps very much - but he was in Reading throughout the period Oct 1916 -March 1917, before going to Alexandria. The enthusiasm and the cold weather seem to suggest that earlier training period. 'I always supervise' sounds like something pilots had drummed into them in training -'You must always supervise!'

Liz

I don't suppose this helps very much - but he was in Reading throughout the period Oct 1916 -March 1917, before going to Alexandria. The enthusiasm and the cold weather seem to suggest that earlier training period. 'I always supervise' sounds like something pilots had drummed into them in training -'You must always supervise!'

Liz

Problem is that 160 hp tractor engine limits what aircraft it could be Effectively only the FK 8 (Big Ack) and the Martinsyde 102 fit the dates at all and the FK 8 was not used for training Oct '16 - March '17 other than by already qualified pilots in squadrons being re equipped with the type and sent to France. 142 was the only squadron to be equipped with it and then sent to Egypt (en route to Palestine) and AFAIK this was after July 1917.

Early morning in the desert if the humidity is low can be pretty damn cold even though it will soon be roasting (the cloudless sky causes the heat to radiate away into space at night) - mind you its a different matter if you are in a high humidity area! It all depends on where the airstrip is located.

Problem is that 160 hp tractor engine limits what aircraft it could be Effectively only the FK 8 (Big Ack) and the Martinsyde 102 fit the dates at all and the FK 8 was not used for training Oct '16 - March '17 other than by already qualified pilots in squadrons being re equipped with the type and sent to France. 142 was the only squadron to be equipped with it and then sent to Egypt (en route to Palestine) and AFAIK this was after July 1917.

Early morning in the desert if the humidity is low can be pretty damn cold even though it will soon be roasting (the cloudless sky causes the heat to radiate away into space at night) - mind you its a different matter if you are in a high humidity area! It all depends on where the airstrip is located.

Well, that sounds pretty conclusive in favour of the Martinsyde 102 then. I did think about desert cold (I lived in a city in the Sahel for several years and even that was pretty chilly at night in the dry season) but thought Alexandria didn't fit that. As you imply, though, he could be talking of an airstrip further inland.

So much for my imagining of an enthusiastic trainee...

Happy birthday, Centurion!

Liz

EDIT Snow on the hilltops in August - where's that, then?

• 1 year later...

This short extract from the Norfolk Chronicle 18 Jan 1918 may be of interest:

Major Clment Rolfe Ingelby RFC only son of Mr Holcome Ingelby MP and Mrs Ingelby, who was seriously injured in an aeroplane accident some months ago, has arrived safely in England. Major Ingelby is still in a helpless condition, but his spirits are of the brightest.

the 160hp might be poetic licence .Snow in August? Well l dont know about that but theres still snow on the hilltops up by Dundee in May!

This short extract from the Norfolk Chronicle 18 Jan 1918 may be of interest:

Major Clment Rolfe Ingelby RFC only son of Mr Holcome Ingelby MP and Mrs Ingelby, who was seriously injured in an aeroplane accident some months ago, has arrived safely in England. Major Ingelby is still in a helpless condition, but his spirits are of the brightest.

Yes, it is, Mark, thanks very much. I shall add it to my Ingleby file, which is voluminous, though even more on account of Clement's parents' interesting lives than on his - not to mention his sister Helen on whose wartime experience GWF pals also assisted me.

Liz

• 8 months later...

I have Clement Ingleby's naval training and later records, yes, but nothing detailed on his capture and escape as far as I can recall or find on my file - though as I looked him up about four years ago when I knew nothing, I shall be going through it all and checking before I write the story up (he's part of a larger local history for me).

I think the key may be that his father, the King's Lynn MP Holcombe Ingleby, intervened as before at various stages of his only son's career, e.g. to get him out of the navy in 1906, after which he returned as an RNVR officer in 1914. The Times reported on 17 October that Lieut. C R Ingleby of 2nd Battalion (Benbow), Ist Brigade, was interned at Leeuwarden. His record says 'Previously in RN. See Serv. Book 10/447. Interned in Holland 14 Jan 15, transferred to Wierickerschans. March 1915 Report received from the Hague that he has escaped and returned to England. CW9097/15

Victory for RN Division.

Re-appt Lt Cmdr tempy 8.6.15 Application to transfer to sea service refused (through WD) CW 27334.

Com. cancelled and forwarded to his father 20.8.17 (Had not been issued as offer was internal).'

Elsewhere it says

'RND/8286 Temp. Commission and appt to RN Divn terminated on transfer to the Army, 13.5.17 (Camp Order No 753).

but he had already been transferred in effect because he was on a musketry course in Sept 1916 at Hayling Island (DO 55), and commenced aviation training at Reading on 5 October 1916. (DO 67)

I haven't looked up any of those reference numbers.

Liz

• 5 years later...

Five years on, I was looking for something else and found this thread whose OP kindly referenced this one and provided us with a photo of Major Ingleby, taken by his (OP's) grandfather, and also saying he was an RAF Observer - when I'd always assumed, because of the way the poem was written, that he was a pilot.  That was nearly four years ago and I managed to miss it.

Anyway, in this year of the RAF's centenary, I think it's worth bringing Ingleby's splendid poem up for your consideration once again!

Liz

Very surprised by this thread popping up.  The Ingleby family were local to where I live and there is quite a bit about them round here-which is Ilford in the north-east of London. The Ingleby family owned a large country house, Valentines, set in a lovely park (My son's mutt loves it)  The first road I lived in here was "Ingleby Road".

A large quantity of Ingleby family materials was deposited a while back with the London Borough of  Redbridge Local Studies. It contains Holcombe Ingleby's notebooks of gossip at the Athenaeum but I am not aware of anything on the son Clement (named after his grandfather, the Victorian Shakespeare critic Clement Ingleby. Valentines has a large portrait painting of Holcombe Ingleby.

I will chase up Redbridge to see if there is anything about the RFC man

Yes, I made a special pilgrimage to Valentines when I was researching the Inglebys, about seven years ago, and was given a lot of help by a local historian there.  I also traced Major CI's grandson, but I haven't got round to writing up the Eastbourne house history, and when I do, I expect a lot of this will be left out!  When Major CI was a small boy living here in the late 1880s (in the house on the site of which my block of flats is now) , his father kept a carriage and horses and a groom and family living above the stables, and his last few lines in this poem in which he looks down on motorists struck me as  a wonderful illustration of the speed of change in the previous thirty years.  I think his sister Helen was far and away the more able of the two: despite Holcombe's wish that she could stay at home and play the piano to accompany his singing, she qualified as a doctor, went to France with an all-female medical team in the winter of 1914-15, worked in radiography in London after completing her qualifications during the war and then had to go to the USA afterwards because she had so much better opportunities there. 

But I didn't look at the Redbridge materials apart from what was at Valentines.  I was already wandering far away from the Eastbourne house in my quest for background!  I don't think there's likely to be anything on Major CI because Holcombe sold the mansion and land to Ilford council before the war, and his wife and family only stayed there while his mother was alive, pre-1906.  

An interesting family, anyhow.

And fancy you living in Ingleby Road once!

Liz