Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Asiago 15th June 1918

Ruth Ward

Could anyone tell me how to go about finding an appropriate map? My grandfather, Gunner with 293 Siege Battery, was awarded a MM for his part in the Battle of Asiago (15/6/18). I have a copy of the 94th HAG/Brigade Diary for that period which gives ref/positions (of what I'm not sure, but assuming for either enemy targets or gun positions) &, if possible, would like to get hold of a map of the area that shows where his Battery was located. I've looked on the National Archives website, but am very confused by all the different sorts of maps on there. Any help or advice would be very welcome. Thank you.

• Admin

Ruth

There are some useful sketch maps in the Battleground Europe book Asiago by Francis MacKay. ISBN 0 85052 759 7

Michelle

I've got several trenchmaps of the Asiago area (1:5000 to 1:25,000 scale) dating from April, May, and June 1918 (part of one from April can be seen on the first row of extracts on this page...HERE ).

If you let us know some of the references, I'm sure someone on here will be able to supply the relevant extract(s) for you.

Dave

That would be brilliant. Thank you. (I am particularly interested to know where the guns were (4 x 6" Howitzers) when the firing started in the early hours of 15 June - if that's possible).

1st line - Counter Preparation (262 Rds 3.41 a.m. - 7.25 a.m)

2nd line - H.23 (40 Rds 6.8a.m. - 6.30 a.m. Neutralisation)

3rd line - General Neutralisation "A" (203 Rds 7.33 a.m. - 9.27 a.m.)

4th line - G.81.79 (88 Rds 10.5 a.m. - 2.8 p.m. Neutralisation)

5th line - G.84.78 (109 Rds 10.15a.m. - 2.8 p.m. Netralisation)

6th line - Durham Trench (20 Rds 10.6 a.m. - 10.20 a.m. Movement)

7th line - Right of Vaister (20 Rds 10.45 a.m. - 10.57 a.m. Movement)

8th line G.93.81 (51 Rds 11.20 a.m. - 2.8 p.m. Neutralisation)

End of that page, but does continue to next ... Pozzo, H.32, H.23, H.36, H.37 ...

Ruth

There are some useful sketch maps in the Battleground Europe book Asiago by Francis MacKay. ISBN 0 85052 759 7

Michelle

Many thanks Michelle. I've already got that book, but I can't locate 293 on any of the maps (though this could well be down to me rather than the book).

ruthw: are the co-ordinates given in post #4 not targets rather than the battery location? The battery location may be in an earlier entry.

Or I could be wrong.

...6th line - Durham Trench (20 Rds 10.6 a.m. - 10.20 a.m. Movement)

1/ Durham trench near Canove di Sotto (British 'Sartori' trench map)...

2/ General area between Durham Trench and Vaister (my annotation showing location of Durham Trench) (British 'Asiago' trench map)...

3/ General area between Durham Trench and Vaister (French 'Altipiano' trenchmap, unannotated)...

post-357-082298100 1291818181.jpg

post-357-011114400 1291818300.jpg

post-357-056941500 1291818374.jpg

Viewed from 'behind enemy lines' at Campororvere, April-June 1918.

'Durham Trench' is located to the right of the image between Stella and Ambrosini. Vaister is to the left of Canove.

Dave

post-357-055375100 1291820461.jpg

ruthw: are the co-ordinates given in post #4 not targets rather than the battery location? The battery location may be in an earlier entry.

Or I could be wrong.

I'm afraid I have no idea. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me! The previous entry for 293 SB (on 12 June) is: C. Lonada (12 Rds, 9.18 am - 9.47 am 'Registration'), then H.24 (40 Rds, 6.30pm - 6.40 pm 'concentration').

Viewed from 'behind enemy lines' at Campororvere, April-June 1918.

'Durham Trench' is located to the right of the image between Stella and Ambrosini. Vaister is to the left of Canove.

Dave

These maps & photo are brilliant! Thank you so much, Dave. Have sent you a message.

Ruth

• 8 months later...

Hallo All,

I'm new on the forum, this is mi first post...my english is not very god, I'm italian...sorry.

During a Congress Of Military Surgery in Asiago I saw a little brithis cemetery an, near some rest of a field hospital..I'll scan soon the pics so you can see both cemetery and Hospital, probabily a dressing station, I hope can be usefull for the duscussion about Asiago Battle.

Regards

giacomo

Hallo All,

I'm new on the forum, this is mi first post...my english is not very god, I'm italian...sorry.

During a Congress Of Military Surgery in Asiago I saw a little brithis cemetery an, near some rest of a field hospital..I'll scan soon the pics so you can see both cemetery and Hospital, probabily a dressing station, I hope can be usefull for the duscussion about Asiago Battle.

Regards

giacomo

Hello Giacomo

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. Please do not apologise for your English - it is much better than my Italian!

I am sure many members will be keen to see your photos. Do you have a special interest in the Battle of Asiago?

Ruth

I have problem to add picture on post...I need read more accuratly the rules regarding photo attachment..sorry All wait a little more..

Ruth, I have not particular interest in Asiago Battle, but when I was young went every summer in Trentino, Asiago and a lot of place more and my hobby was to search and collect war relics of WWI battle; in Italy the main battle theatre was mountains, a real eagle war and once while I was climbing a rock near Ponte di Legno (Parco dell'Adamello) i put my hand on something rusty: was the remains of a '91 rifle!!!

Regards all

giacomo

I have problem to add picture on post...I need read more accuratly the rules regarding photo attachment..sorry All wait a little more..

Ruth, I have not particular interest in Asiago Battle, but when I was young went every summer in Trentino, Asiago and a lot of place more and my hobby was to search and collect war relics of WWI battle; in Italy the main battle theatre was mountains, a real eagle war and once while I was climbing a rock near Ponte di Legno (Parco dell'Adamello) i put my hand on something rusty: was the remains of a '91 rifle!!!

Regards all

giacomo

I am sure everyone is interested to hear more about the war relics you have found. It must have been quite a surprise to find that rusty rifle.

Ruth

• 4 months later...
Guest jjakubec

Hi All,

Ruth, did you managed to locate your grandfather gun position? And did you get more maps of Assiago area from summer 1918? I am also searching for maps of that area from June-August 1918. My grandfather was also a gunner, but on the other side of the fence! He was with Austro-Hungarian Mountain Artilery unit (4" gun) and their positions in June 1918 were on Mt.Meletta, northeast of Assiago/Gallio. Their observation point was on Mt.Baldo. When they were discovered, several gun posts were destroyed and they relocated to Mt.Cimone. I have couple maps from 1916 - Dec 1917 but nothing from 1918.

Best Regards

Jarek

PS

Giacomo, did you managed to get those pictures upload? I am planning another trip to Assiago altiplano, hopefuly this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Ruth, did you managed to locate your grandfather gun position? And did you get more maps of Assiago area from summer 1918? I am also searching for maps of that area from June-August 1918. My grandfather was also a gunner, but on the other side of the fence! He was with Austro-Hungarian Mountain Artilery unit (4" gun) and their positions in June 1918 were on Mt.Meletta, northeast of Assiago/Gallio. Their observation point was on Mt.Baldo. When they were discovered, several gun posts were destroyed and they relocated to Mt.Cimone. I have couple maps from 1916 - Dec 1917 but nothing from 1918.

Best Regards

Jarek

PS

Giacomo, did you managed to get those pictures upload? I am planning another trip to Assiago altiplano, hopefuly this summer.

Hi Jarek

My apologies for not replying to you until now - I have only just discovered your post!

I have a number of maps, but unfortunately they do not have my grandfather's battery position on them. I think there are a lot of maps of Italy held at the National Archives, but I live to faraway to visit. Perhaps other forum members can help. If I come across anything useful, I'll let you know.

Regards

Ruth

• 1 month later...
Guest jjakubec
1328221154[/url]' post='1705488']

Hi Jarek

My apologies for not replying to you until now - I have only just discovered your post!

I have a number of maps, but unfortunately they do not have my grandfather's battery position on them. I think there are a lot of maps of Italy held at the National Archives, but I live to faraway to visit. Perhaps other forum members can help. If I come across anything useful, I'll let you know.

Regards

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for reply, I have just returned from a long trip and amongst other I have visited Great War Archive in Vienna and Prague searching for materials and maps but it is complicated and perhaps lengthy process, as expected. I live in Vancouver, so not exactly near by the former battlefield or archives where information could be.

Regards

Jarek

• 1 year later...
Guest Kenstokoe73

Hi to the lady researching Asaigo......I have just finished reading a book ....."The Reluctant Tommy" borrowed from the Local Library. I think that this soldier may well be or have a close connection for your enquiries......the whole middle section of this book deals with 239.....I hope that this helps......Ken

Hi to the lady researching Asaigo......I have just finished reading a book ....."The Reluctant Tommy" borrowed from the Local Library. I think that this soldier may well be or have a close connection for your enquiries......the whole middle section of this book deals with 239.....I hope that this helps......Ken

Oh dear, now you've really gone and done it. tin helmet and sand bags please!!

Kenstokoe73 try putting into the search option on this forum 'reluctant tommy' or ronald skirth' and just see what you get.

Oh my giddy aunt! For those playing along at home, this post covers it. Kenstokoe73, I'm sure you are well meaning and I'm not having a go but sometimes people stumble into minefields . . .

• 5 years later...

Hi Ruth, I have just come across this old post. I am also doing research on the same day, my great uncle was awarded a MM on the same day- Arthur Wilebur/Wilbur. If you came across any refs to him, I would be really grateful for info! Thanks

Vera Brittain's brother Edward Brittain (Captain, 11th Sherwood Foresters) was killed in action during the British counter-attack on this day.

Mark