Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Togoland 1914

bushfighter

• 2 months later...

Found an account yesterday of an officer attached to the Gold Coast Regiment who served in the Togoland campaign, Lieutenant Leslie St. Ledger Blakeney. Have transcribed it on my fb page here: http://www.facebook.com/notes/small-town-great-war-hucknall-1914-1918/lieutenant-leslie-st-ledger-blakeney-some-ass-came-and-told-us-the-enemy-had-eva/193016030717142.

Hope it is of interest.

If anyone has any problems accessing it, please let me know and I'll pass it on.

Should any members be interested in the first successful Allied campaign of the Great War then please take a look at:

http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/300143.html

weren't the Australian capture of New Guinea and the joint Japanese/Australian seizure of German Pacific islands the first successful campaign?

Strachan's The First World War in Africa has a chapter. From this and other accounts I understand there was a dichotomy of objectives on either side. The British emphasis was knocking out the wireless station at the capital whilst the French were more interested in taking over the interior (as they had designs of incorporating it into the French African empire). The German colonists wanted to defend the interior (and their farms) through a semi guerrilla approach and give up the capital but the German commander insisted on using his forces in a formal defence of the capital (which was indefensible).

Cent

Greetings

What is a "campaign"?

Harry

Cent

Greetings

What is a "campaign"?

Harry

Since you 'named' the first campaign I guess its up to you to attempt a definition but I think campaign medals were issued for New Guinea

Since you 'named' the first campaign I guess its up to you to attempt a definition but I think campaign medals were issued for New Guinea

A 'campaign' medal, namely the 1914-15 Star did indeed cover the New Guinea operations, as it did Togoland too.

'Campaign' medal qualification for Togoland was between 7th and 26th August 1914, the first Australasian theatre qualification was for German Samoa on 29th August 1914. German New Guinea qualification didn't commence until 11th September 1914 so based on that criteria I'd suggest Harry was correct and that Togoland was the first successful campaign.

Regards

Steve