Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Petrol prefix - ASC

Waggoner

Hello

I have just come across the service papers (in the pension records section on Ancestry) to a Frederick Joseph Francis 330779 Army Service Corps. Having read these papers and this forum, I think you will all be interested in having a look!

He is a Bristol boy that serves with the Severn Cadet Corps, entitled to a pair which should be named to Cadet. It also mentions Asiatic Petroleum on the papers. The papers include parental consent forms for his service.

adam1981,

Very interesting! I would like to see a copy of these papers but I don't subscribe to Ancestry. The papers pretty much confirm what has been written earlier in this topic.

All the best,l

Gary

• 3 years later...

Revisiting this after several years, as I am researching another PETROL prefixed man. While trying to pin these lads down I found one - Frank Youde, another Bristol boy - who was enlisted at the age of 13 years and 10 months on 6 July 1916. In other words, he was still a school boy and it was after conscription had been introduced. He went to France on 2 August 1916. This remains one of the most puzzling and least covered areas of military service that I know of.

Edited by Chris_Baker

2 hours ago, Chris_Baker said:

Revisiting this after several years, as I am researching another PETROL prefixed man. While trying to pin these lads down I found one - Frank Youde, another Bristol boy - who was enlisted at the age of 13 years and 10 months on 6 July 1916. In other words, he was still a school boy and it was after conscription had been introduced. He went to France on 2 August 1916. This remains one of the most puzzling and least covered areas of military service that I know of.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007258422%2f02713&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7258422%2f201%2f2704

image.png.1fc28b61815806ad17156fa06a3035c9.png

image.png.57140b1cb096f30bf5425967bbdddbf7.png

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

This book contains a great description of the Severn Cadet Corps and what their role was - 

https://ia800704.us.archive.org/10/items/shellthathitgerm00smit/shellthathitgerm00smit.pdf

someone had posted it on the British Medal Forum.

All the best,

Gary

That’s going to make an interesting read, I like the Title! A good find Waggoner.

Den

The general feeling is that most of these were lads. I have a pair of medals to PETROL-234508 A.SJT. C.J. TONKIN. A.S.C. who I would think was drafted in to manage them.

59 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

The general feeling is that most of these were lads. I have a pair of medals to PETROL-234508 A.SJT. C.J. TONKIN. A.S.C. who I would think was drafted in to manage them.

From looking through surviving service records most were kids with a few adults to oversee them (some of the adults seem to have also been made members of the cadets as part of the process) - at least one of their sgts was a foreman from the plant in Portishead.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252