Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial RGA men in East Africa

Chris_Baker

Just in passing while I was looking for something else today, I noticed a number of TF RGA gunners who had died in East Africa. Cornwall RGA seemed to be most represented but there were others too. I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light on which RGA units were serving there, as I have yet to come across one. Or were these men not with RGA units at the time?

Chris,

Some 200 OR's formed 134 Cornwall Howitzer Bty TF, the remainder of Cornwall volunteers transferred to reinforcements and some were posted to AA Batteries. 134 HB embarked for German East Africa in Dec 1915, after its personnel first being reduced to 120 rank and file. The remainder were formed into 6 Trench Mortar Btys, numbered 127 to 132. These details accompanied the 134 Bty to German East Africa. While 134 was engaged in operations in that theatre, the TM Btys do not appear to have been required and their details were absorbed into the other Arty units operating there.

I am sure Kondoa may care to expand further.

Rgds Paul

Hi Chris,

134th (Cornwall) Heavy Battery arrived in theatre in January 1916 renumbered 1917.

11th (Hull) Heavy Battery arrived March 1916. (274 men)

Both were at Charlton Park, 134th left Decemebr 1916, 11th Hull left January 1916.

The latter was not TF but had TF numbering until 1917, several died and are commemorated with the TF number.

Any particular name that caught your eye?

Roop

Roop,

Couldn't one include 158th (Hull) Hvy. Bty. in the list? It must have gone out as a battery in its own right, and spent some time as such before joining the 11th Hvy Bty. Out of interest when did that happen? I appreciate that their numbering would have been very similar, before and after the re-numbering.

Kevin

Kev,

My apologies,

158th HB was actually formed from 11th Hull at Denham , Bucks prior to embarkation, and was later re-incorporated into 11th Hull in April 1917.

38th Howitzer Brigade was 11th (Hull) and 158th (HULL) Heavy Batteries.

All embarked on same ship and landed at same time etc. 158th served as Smuts reserve battery for 1st Division but was not used in advance. Moved to Kilwa September 1916 and then ceased to exist on re-amalgamation with the Hull Battery.

The numbers were consistent throughout and there is nothing within the number group to distinguish which battery a man served with.

Hope this clarifies.

Roop

Chris,

Some 200 OR's formed 134 Cornwall Howitzer Bty TF, the remainder of Cornwall volunteers transferred to reinforcements and some were posted to AA Batteries. 134 HB embarked for German East Africa in Dec 1915, after its personnel first being reduced to 120 rank and file. The remainder were formed into 6 Trench Mortar Btys, numbered 127 to 132. These details accompanied the 134 Bty to German East Africa. While 134 was engaged in operations in that theatre, the TM Btys do not appear to have been required and their details were absorbed into the other Arty units operating there.

I am sure Kondoa may care to expand further.

Rgds Paul

Indeed there is little reference to these trench mortar batteries but certainly the OH mentions 130,131 and 132 in 1916 without detail on their origin. Likely as not, the personel became part of RGA Details at Mbuyuni in Kenya (BEA): others were employed as ammunition column personel for the Hull Battery . In 1917 the Cornwalls, or what remained of them manned guns of the Hull Battery in Lindi

Thanks for the above. Very interesting.

I had a quick look yesterday at the National Archives catalogue for WO95 war diaries covering East (and other parts of) Africa. The RGA units mentioned are

38 Brigade

10, 11, 13, 14, 134 and 158 Howitzer Batteries

22, 24 and 27 Mountain Batteries

12 South African Howitzer Battery

1 Kashmir Mountain Battery

Royal Marine Brigade and Heavy Battery

1 (Willoughby's) Armoured Motor Battery

Chris,

11th, 13th and 14th Howitzer Batteries were formed from 11th Hull and 158th Battery.

12th Howitzer Battery was the former 4th Cape SAGA.

All armed with 5" Howitzers.

Roop