Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training in UK

Guest tedspires

Guest tedspires

In researching an individual serving in 1917 in Whitby I have discovered that he was a Sgt instructor in Kings own Yorkshire Light Infantry. His unit was recorded as A Res. W on his service records. I can't find any KOYLI presence in Whitby, does anyone know what the abbreviation means or whether there was a KOYLI depot or training unit in the Whitby area?

The nearest abbreviation I can think of is ARMW, which stood for Army Reserve Munition Worker. These were men who were in the Army, but because of their technical trades, were seconded to the munitions industry. This, however, does not seem to tie up with your man being a Sgt Instructor, unless, of course, he was doing this prior to going into munitions work.

Charles

Could it be Army Reserve (Class) W ??????.

This was introduced by ACI 203/16 in Jun 16 and consisted of men whose services were deemed to be more valuable in civilian life. They were still subject to recall to the colours, but were not paid by the Army or subject to military discipline.

Jock Bruce

Jock

I think we are talking about the same thing, but I admit to having overlooked ACI 203/16. I have added it to my list for next PRO visit. Thanks for drawing attention to it.

Charles

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for your replies. Perhaps if you find out any more you would post it here. I assume ACI stands for Army Council Instructions, put me right if not. I spent a long time in the Army was not aware how much of the organisation and staff procedures had in common with the WW1 army. Army abbreviations were contained in Joint Service Publication (JSP) 101 when I was serving, I don't know whether there was such a publication back in 1916, does anyone? Another source of abbreviations was Staff Duties in the Field, anyone seen an equivelant to that from this period?

Ted