Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auxiliary Division RIC

corisande

I have been struggling to see exactly how each company of ADRIC was organised

ADRIC officers were given ranks, like section leader, platoon commander, and company commander. They also held temporary ranks in the Royal Irish Constabulary

1. ADRIC company commanders I understand held the rank of 1st Class RIC District Inspectors.

2. How many platoons to a company and how many sections to a platoon

3. Would I be correct in assuming that Platoon Commander equated to 2nd class RIC District Inspector, and Section Leader equated to 3rd class RIC District Inspector

1. Auxiliary Division Company Commanders also held the rank of 1st Class R.I.C. District Inspectors

2. Company Second in Commands (usually the Adjutant) also held the R.I.C. rank of 2nd Class District Inspectors

3. Platoon Commanders also held the R.I.C. rank of 3rd Class District Inspectors

4. Section Leaders also held the R.I.C. rank of Head Constable.

All of the above were also known by their former army ranks. For example J.C. Reynolds during his time with "G" Company would have been known as ..... Platoon Commander and 3rd Class D.I. Lieutenant J.C. Reynolds.

When the Auxiliary Division was formed during August 1920 there were four platoons to each Company and two sections to each platoon, In November 1920 the number of platoons was reduced to three in order to put more Companies into the field.

The Companies with four platoons had an average of 100 men per Company but obviously this number was reduced when they went to a three platoon Company. ( this number did not include the support staff needed to run a Company)

Dez

Dez - thanks you, I thought you would know. That is very clear

Supplementary question did Company Intelligence Officer have a RIC or ADRIC rank. They seem to have been specially appointed, but did not appear to command any men

I am right therefore in assuming post Nov 1920, the F Coy had around 75 men, under W L King, and that they would have been divided into 3 platoons and therefore 6 sections, plus an Intelligence man.

I probably should have included in the previous reply that each Auxiliary Company had another three officers,

1. The Intelligence Officer, who was ranked as a 3rd Class District Inspector.

2. The Quartermaster who was also ranked as a 3rd Class District Inspector.

3. The Transport Officer who was ranked as a Head Constable.

All of the above were regular full time members of the Aux. Div.

Dez

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have been reading with interest what has been said on the blog. If you wish to have questions answered about the Auxies I would advise you to get a copy of The Auxiliaries - Tudor' Toughs recently published by myself. You can contact me by this means or at mccall.ernest@gmail.com and I will advise you of cost and postage. There are only 800 copies and they are selling fast. They cannot be purchased in the shops, only via email. Here is some of the comments by a number of persons who have bought the book - "Cannot put the book down - my wife says I am like a priest holding a bible", Northern Ireland buyer, "Recieved the book this morning - cannot put it down", England buyer, "Many congratulations, It is a piece of research that has been long overdue", Republic of Ireland buyer and "This is a very informative reference copy and will add to the body of knowledge about the world's first mobile counter-insurgency force", Irishconstublary.com and "I find the book interesting and I think it will make a great reference book and resource for researching the War of Independence", Republic of Ireland buyer.

Ernest McCall

• 3 weeks later...

Ernest, I attended the book launchd at Newforge and, when reading the acknowledgements, I see you mentioned my cousin Des B in Canada. Are you in touch with him as I haven't seen him for several years.

Hi All,

I have been reading with interest what has been said on the blog. If you wish to have questions answered about the Auxies I would advise you to get a copy of The Auxiliaries - Tudor' Toughs recently published by myself. You can contact me by this means or at mccall.ernest@gmail.com and I will advise you of cost and postage. There are only 800 copies and they are selling fast. They cannot be purchased in the shops, only via email. Here is some of the comments by a number of persons who have bought the book - "Cannot put the book down - my wife says I am like a priest holding a bible", Northern Ireland buyer, "Recieved the book this morning - cannot put it down", England buyer, "Many congratulations, It is a piece of research that has been long overdue", Republic of Ireland buyer and "This is a very informative reference copy and will add to the body of knowledge about the world's first mobile counter-insurgency force", Irishconstublary.com and "I find the book interesting and I think it will make a great reference book and resource for researching the War of Independence", Republic of Ireland buyer.

Ernest McCall

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I haven't been on the blog since before Christmas. Yes i have been in touch with Des. He was over here last November and I chatted with him at the military fair in Bangor. I will be there at the next fair in January, see me there.

Erne

Ernest, I attended the book launchd at Newforge and, when reading the acknowledgements, I see you mentioned my cousin Des B in Canada. Are you in touch with him as I haven't seen him for several years.

• 1 year later...