Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Commission on the 1916 Rebellion

Sinabhfuil

Would anyone know where to find the report of the Royal Commission on the 1916 Rebellion, run by Charles Hardinge, 1st Baron Hardinge of Penshurst?

You will also find reports of the evidence taking sessions of the Royal Commission in the (London) Times (Google "Times Digital Archive" or "Gale Databases" - can't give a link since mine works through an academic paywall - try a public library). (Certainly there were column inches feet of Reporting into the Royal Commission into the 1906 Worcester Election (When my Great Grandfather was disqualified as an MP because of bribery of the electorate) - my Grandmother would have been horrified to think those reports were available!)

The Opening of the 1916 Rebellion Commission's Proceedings are at: The Times, Friday, May 19, 1916; pg. 9; Issue 41171; col G

Irish Inquiry Opened. Sir M. Nathan's Evidence., Watching Policy Explained., American Gold.

The Conclusions of the Royal Commission into the 1916 Rebellion are at: The Times, Tuesday, Jul 04, 1916; pg. 6; Issue 41210; col B

There appear to be numerous references between these dates.

HTH

David

There are two elements:

'Royal Commission on the Rebellion in Ireland: Report of the Commission', this was published as Command Paper Cd 8279, 14 pages

'The Royal Commission on the Rebellion In Ireland: Minutes of Evidence and Appendix of Documents', this was published as Command Paper Cd 8311, 126 pages

I have copies of both if there is anything in which you are particularily interested.

Aled

I've also just remembered that the 'first' report, the findings, along with the reports on the landing of arms at Howth, on the treatment of Francis Sheehy Skeffington and others appear in the book 'The Irish Uprising 1914-21' published by The Stationery Office in 2000 as part of their Uncovered Editions series.

Aled