Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Midhurst , Sussex

janeryan99

Would anyone know the name of the convalescent/hospital for Officers of the First World War situated in Midhurst , Sussex. My Great Grandfather was there until his death in 1924.

Many thanks,

Jane

I think it could possibly be the King Edward VII Hospital that is just outside Midhurst. It is no longer a hospital but there is plenty about it on the internet.

This link will show a picture of it.

http://www.cityandcountry.co.uk/developments/king_edward_vii_midhurst/home

Mandy

1924 is far too late for Great War convalescent homes to be operating - by that time men still needing treatment were cared for either in civil hospitals or hospitals under control of the Ministry of Pensions. I agree that King Edward VII is the most likely place - it was a TB Sanatorium then. You don't say what your great-grandfather died of, but the death certificate will clarify where and what of.

Sue

I live very close to the West Sussex Records Office, if you want me have a look at the registers send me some info.

Mandy

I live very close to the West Sussex Records Office, if you want me have a look at the registers send me some info.

Mandy

Dear Mandy,

That is a very kind offer.

My G/Grandfather's name was Captain Sydney Smith. Born 1875 in Birkenhead and died in 1924 .

From my knowledge he was with the King's Royal Rifle Corp. He sustained a head injury in France.

I was told he lived out his days in a hospital for Officers of the First World War in Midhurst Sussex.

I have his medal index card if that is any help ?

Thanks again

Jane

Hi Jane

Thanks for info, I will be going this Thursday and will let you know what I find.

Mandy

Hi Jane

I went to the records office yesterday, but I am afraid I was not allowed to view the records because I was told they are closed for 100 years. The searchroom staff tried to contact the archivist responsible for these records to check, but he wasn't there. I was told you would probably need to write giving what you know and they could possibly look (I am guessing you may be charged for this) maybe worth phoning to check 01243 753600.

Just to throw a spanner in the works I can't find an entry in the death indexes for Sydney/Sidney Smith for the Midhurst registration district (I think by 1924 his death would have been recorded in civil registration not under army) which possibly points to the fact he did not die there. Somebody may come along and prove me wrong.

Mandy

Dear Mandy,

Many thanks for all your effort , I am really grateful . I have checked the BMD for Sussex and couldn't find anything myself. The only record that comes close to it is in Lancashire .

My thoughts here at that maybe if he was close to death his family took him home for his last days/weeks ? [ very sad ]. They did live there . The source that gave me the info was very reliable however it just doesn't add up .

If ever you want something looking up in Brisbane let me know.

Jane :)